Mooney cowl stc SA000946AT

That is the STC Mooney Mart had for putting a J cowl on a F Mooney.  Do any of you have a copy of it?  I’m thinking about trying to find the parts to do the swap and think it would help with the list and possibly the paperwork I would need to get it approved.  

I think I need the cowl, baffles, motor mount modified for cowl flap linkage, air intake, spinner and backing plate for my 3 blade prop.  Does this sound like the complete parts list?

thanks,

russell

Russel I'm pretty sure that STC is orphaned.  You may be able to use it as approved data for your own follow on 337 with your IA- but this is a ton of work.

Instead, consider @Sabremech's cowling mod.  There are plenty of pictures of @Bob_Belville's E wearing it.  It will probably cost a lot less to go this way too.  It looks really good on the E/F.

• Like 1

I don’t know what his cowl is going for or what is included and the speed increase he is seeing.

i have found a M20j wreck so I could pull all the parts needed.  I just don’t know what those parts are.  I can’t find any information on the orphaned STC other than the number and who used to have it.  

People have this stc on aircraft now and I was hoping someone could post a copy or a parts list.

We called the FSDO about using STC data for a field approval and they said no they can’t do that, you got to buy the STC. It’s intellectual property. The problem with all of those Modworks STCs is that the FAA still shows them as active and they really are orphans

I have called the FAA to ask about the STC and the guy didn’t call me back.  I also called Mooney.  When I was at Oshkosh I was talking to a guy who worked for Mooney.  I told him it was hard to get parts and information about the plane.  He said I should call him directly.  He didn’t call back either.  

I will keep trying.  What else can you do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

I have called the FAA to ask about the STC and the guy didn’t call me back.  I also called Mooney.  When I was at Oshkosh I was talking to a guy who worked for Mooney.  I told him it was hard to get parts and information about the plane.  He said I should call him directly.  He didn’t call back either.  

I will keep trying.  What else can you do?

You can do what I've done on the 4 airplanes I modified with my first cowling mod. Contact the FAA and work with them to do a 337 field approval. Fill out a 337 with the detail of what you want to do which is use mostly original later model Mooney parts and submit it for a pre-approval before starting your modification. They will most likely send it to ACO for review and approval. Another route you can take is to contact a DER and get the data approved on an 8110-3 form.

Thanks,

David

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 67 m20F chump said:

What else can you do?

Only a few options.

1.  Do what @Sabremech mech did and work with the FAA directly or the DER.

2. Get in line for the @Sabremech mod.  I think it is going to be better than an original J.  (So far this is what I have done!)

3. Go big time and go with Lo Presti

4. Add the ARI

5. Be low key add the LASAR mod

6. Join the CB club do nothing.  (wait we are Mooney owners and not cirrus drivers doesn't that automatically make us part of the CB club!)

I was hoping to get a parts list and try to do it with a 337.  I have located a parts plane but I don’t want to buy it if I can’t get the paperwork through.  This mod has been done before so I’m making some calls to see if I can make it happen.

I’m having some medical issues and can’t fly so it just seems like a good time to try.

Definitely start with the FAA and your local friendly IA. Find out if he'll work with you, and then ask if he'll arrange a meeting with his FSDO overlord. Assuming you can get to a face to face meeting, explain what you would like to do and emphasize the following:

1. Existing/approved STC is unobtainable but not official orphaned (shows it was FAA approved in the past, and that you're not trying to cheat someone's STC work)

2. Mod uses original Mooney parts from a newer model (shows that they're approved from engineering and production quality/PMA perspective, not backyard engineering and auto part fiberglass)

3. Mod provides easier and better access to engine as well as better cylinder and oil cooling performance. (Safety enhancement!)

4. Mod requires no structural mods to airframe or alters performance, control, stability, etc.

5. Bonus... The J evolved directly from the F without major alterations so retrofitting improvements back to an F model is a natural course of action to improve a vintage plane.

That is what I would do if I were in your shoes. I'm an engineer in the industry, but have not done this myself yet. It should be enough to convince a reasonable FSDO or ACO engineer/inspector but not all are reasonable. ;) Good luck with this, and whatever ailment is keeping you on the ground. Hangar time spent improving a plane is as good as flying one to me!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Get parts manuals for your F and the donor J...

Detail all of the parts Of one that will be replaced by the other...

This will help you organize how big the project is or isn’t...

For the other project...

There is a thread or two regarding Class III SI(s) and another one regarding the value of Basic Med when the SI becomes too much of a hassle...

Best regards,

-a-