To buy or not to buy, that is the question...

SD Flyer

46 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

The age of the airframe is the least of concerns for Mooneys. And where it counts for the pilot, the left front seat, nothing has changed in those 30 years.

I agree in principle, but I'd also point out an older Mooney is more likely to have been exposed to a problem owner the longer ago it was built...

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Man, that is one nicely modded F and it seems to be priced right.  But I'd fire my mechanic if he gave me the compression numbers listed!

• Compressions at last annual: #1 74, #2 75, #3 66, #4 74, #5 72, #6 72

• Haha 1

Let's just do it this way....  As I am planning on dropping a week and 9 AMU on panel upgrades.    Whatever I spent to get it flying I really don't remember from several years ago.   I do remember many of the flights I have taken in the plane.......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

Man, that is one nicely modded F and it seems to be priced right.  But I'd fire my mechanic if he gave me the compression numbers listed!

• Compressions at last annual: #1 74, #2 75, #3 66, #4 74, #5 72, #6 72

That's got to be broker mistake! But it sure makes you loose confidence in the correctness of the rest of the listing.

First G500 in an olded J-Bar F that I have seen. 

But its lack of shoulder belts would keep me out of it till that was fixed! All that $ on upgrades and no shoulder belts is nuts!

Edited by kortopates

I wouldn't cast doubt on the engine yet. Has the owner done the proper maintenance on the engine and frame? Has he changed the oil ever 25 hours and the filter every 50? Does he do oil analysis every 25 or 50 hours and does it show a trend of consistency and is he willing to show you all the results? Where was it kept over the last 10 years? Near the ocean outside or a heated hangar? Or in the desert and how many hours before it needs a quart of oil? 

Check out a few of Mike Busch's webinars on engines. Educate yourself.  

I personally like the J model because it was designed from the start to go fast and be efficient and I think they will hold the best value compared to other NA models other than possibly the Ovation 

• Like 1

I wouldn't cast doubt on the engine yet. Has the owner done the proper maintenance on the engine and frame? Has he changed the oil ever 25 hours and the filter every 50? Does he do oil analysis every 25 or 50 hours and does it show a trend of consistency and is he willing to show you all the results? Where was it kept over the last 10 years? Near the ocean outside or a heated hangar? Or in the desert and how many hours before it needs a quart of oil? 
Check out a few of Mike Busch's webinars on engines. Educate yourself.  
I personally like the J model because it was designed from the start to go fast and be efficient and I think they will hold the best value compared to other NA models other than possibly the Ovation 

The previous owner did the oil change every annual since he flew less than 50 hours a year. Back then logs show the oil analysis was done every year and didn’t show any “red flags”

Current owner changes oil 2 times a year and he flew about 180 hours since 2016. He didn’t do any oil analysis though so all I have is 2 records from annual in LASR saying “oil filter disassembled and inspected...”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk