Corrosion treatments

ExpressJetter

Look up the key words... CorrosionX and boeshield...

Available in spray cans (worst case). Plenty of ways to improve on the cost aspect...

Essentially, an annual maintenance step... If you decide to go that way...

Best to have it applied by somebody knowledgeable with the materials... keeping it out of the electronics is a good idea...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic, My M20C got CorrosionX’d when it lived outside...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, ExpressJetter said:

Just wondering how much corrosion treatments cost and how often they are/need fo be applied? 

In what part of the country do you store your airplane?   It isn't needed everywhere.

Treatment with goops/sprays/lotions and potions is often done with a spray nozzle.  Mechanics love doing it.

When that is not enough, SB-208B describes what/how to control corrosion once it starts.   In non-arid climates with dew points regularly above say 60F for parts of the year, condensation will occur.  This is a particularly big deal for the tubular steel frame in our Mooney's, for in places where paint has lost its 'stickum' to the steel, corrosion will begin.   Water leaks in around old and poorly sealed windows, poorly sealed instrument bay panels, dorsal air vent with plugged drain tube or other problems.   It can run aft along the floor and members and accumulate near the main spar and cause corrosion there.  If it enters inside the tubular steel frame, those will corrode from the inside out.  That can happen where old steel screws that penetrate the tube wall have corroded.

SB-208B requires regular inspections for incipient corrosion.  This requires removal of most of the interior panels.   Sometimes corrosion begins in the upper portion of the tubular steel frame, which means removing the plastic headliner and giving those steel pipes a look-see.    Depending on climate, hangared/tie-down, IFR/not, do it occasionally.

The steel tubes in our a/c are just itching to start corroding.   Coating them with corrosion-X or some such inhibitor is a great thing to do.   Working with someone that knows what they are doing is important.   Finding major corrosion in a Mooney is the equivalent of standing up when the music stops...  Don't let it get bad. 

I'm up to speed on this because my bird is in the shop getting all kinds of tubes sanded and re-painted.    It is a big job.  Pushes one out on the "cost-of-ownership" curve.:mellow:

On 8/18/2019 at 11:03 AM, carusoam said:

It is fogged in areas where corrosion is a concern...

it is a wax like coating with oily tendencies...

PP thoughts only, not a corrosion expert...

Best regards,

-a

Just an observation, but I have noticed over the years I have been on Mooney space that you always disclaim being an expert on the various matters of interest. I think quite the contrary, that you are an expert! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

To echo Anthony's thought about having someone do it that knows what they are doing . . . make sure it stays clear of the autopilot servos as it will cause some very expensive problems there.

If the corrosion X or ACF 50 is fogged in and the material is aerosolized  how do  they avoid getting it on the servos? How might it affect the servos?

3 hours ago, Bravoman said:

If the corrosion X or ACF 50 is fogged in and the material is aerosolized  how do  they avoid getting it on the servos? How might it affect the servos?

The anti corrosion spray I bought at the auto parts store says it may destroy rubber components. I’m guessing these two would be similar.

6 hours ago, Bravoman said:

CorrosionX is an interesting material... it is easily atomized to a very fine spray...

the spray floats and lands on every inch of surface... and it doesn’t stop there...

Once the fine mist lands on the surface it can wick itself into tiny cracks for months....

I would spray the inside of the wings... at annual... about a week later traces of CorrosionX would be showing escaping out around the rivets....

The paint that appeared to be in good condition... actually was strongly attached to the wing and the rivets... the paint indicated that there is some motion of the rivets...the dark tracks of aluminum oxide would escape from the the micro gap between the wing and the rivet...

Something that looks like smoking rivets... a bit unnerving at first... but it is just CorrosionX escaping and taking a fine oxide dust with it...

Briefly... If the CorrosionX can seep between a rivet and the sheet metal... it can creep really far inside a servo motor, and make a mess of clutches, sensors, and anything else in there...  

The typical prevention for CorrosionX intrusion... plastic bags wrapping everything that doesn’t want to be touched...

My M20C lived out side in NJ for a decade while I owned her... Corrosion is a source of constant fear... It keeps you taking care of any paint spots that have failed... don’t wait for annual to ask what to do about it...  the failed paint will spread... if there is corrosion starting... it will spread too...

Surface corrosion is pretty easy to stop... clean, and coat... inter granular corrosion is the big one to catch early...more common for the bar stock types of aluminum, not so much for the sheet metal types of aluminum...

PP thoughts only, schooled in metallurgy by a fine M20C... :)

Best regards,

-a-  

• Like 1

As reigning president of the CB club, you can treat your airframe for as little as $100 and ~5 hours of labor

Harbor Frieght "engine cleaning" gun with adjustable atomizer- $12 and 1 gallon of ACF50 (overkill)- $80

60311864_10157246049309640_8578375477796798464_n.thumb.jpg.c69171a5e4e86f0241304cefec32b60a.jpg        60509448_10157246049394640_3519960019602767872_n.thumb.jpg.5a44160259adb2a38c4d7e043e7577a4.jpg

The hardest part was doing the wing. FWIW, my logbooks say that my plane was treated 10 years ago. The inside of the wing was clean, and still had a fine layer of residue from previous applications. But I did it again being in Florida. I don't have anything in my plane-jane 1963 apart from an ELT in the empennage, so I just covered it and sprayed away. The fancy nozzles that most A&Ps have will make the job much less labor-intensive but with this wand, you can get the exact same coverage as long as you twist the nozzle a full 360* when behind bulkheads.

As you can see in the first picture, I didn't use but 1/5th of the gallon to do the entire airframe. A quart will serve everyone just fine. I'm now offering my ACF50 to local EAA members because I have more than I know to deal with lol.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 2

Could this be articulated as "owner maintenance"?? Seems non-invasive. Wow I was ready to spend time searching CB sprayer options and never though about using my Harbor Fright engine cleaning gun! Excellent idea Raps!

It is.

FAR 43, Appendix A, Subpart C, Paragraph 10- Preventive maintenance:

...is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:

-Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 1

The HF gun does a good job but even cut way back it tends over do it, no big deal other than it uses more juice than needed. I do mine every 3 yrs and might take it out to 4 years. I apply it AFTER the annual right before it gets buttoned up, also gets re-applied if I clean an aera before or after maintinace 

Are you using this gun here? Its $45 minus perpetual 20% off coupons (or 25% off coupon on 02-Sep) = $36 plus $6 shipping. Don't forget to add in a freebie. I miss living near a Harbor Fright.

I once was on a long term TDY assignment in Northern Virginia. I would hit up this HF store daily for a free tape measure. I had probably about 25 of them at my peak. Nothing like getting $72 tax-free per diem, having a free rental car and fuel, free luxury housing, and free Chinese junk from Harbor Fright.

• Like 1