Acclaim flying

Aspen2013

Buying 2008 acclaim. Previous experience in 231. Plenty of tutorials on G1000. Not too difficult for 430/530 users to learn it. However I can’t find anything about how acclaim owners fly their plane. Have MAPA PACs but just general overall procedures, tips, recommendations from starting the engine, taxi, takeoff to landing the acclaim or long body Mooney’s. Maybe a pdf file to download. 

Edited by Aspen2013
Added some info

5 minutes ago, Aspen2013 said:

Buying 2008 acclaim. Previous experience in 231. Plenty of tutorials on G1000. Not too difficult for 430/530 users to learn it. However I can’t find anything about how acclaim owners fly their plane. Have MAPA PACs but just general overall procedures, tips, recommendations from starting the engine, taxi, takeoff to landing the acclaim or long body Mooney’s. Maybe a pdf file go download. 

Get some specific long body Mooney transition training. Many pilots that don't get it bring it in too fast, porpoise it on landing and end up with a prop strike. I transitioned from a 231 to a Bravo 23 years ago and the transition training made all the difference in  the world.

• Like 3

+1 on Transition Training...

With prior K experience, you will be comparing prior experience to the new experience in a step for step methodical kind of way...

With other Long Bodies on MS... There is plenty to discuss operationally... or training wise...

As far as other people’s methods of operating the Acclaim... we have a few MSers with Acclaims... start a new thread...

Or search for threads written by Joe Zuffeletto... he wrote plenty as an Acclaim owner...

Some of the more interesting threads are the operations of TC’d Continental engines... Many get operated at high %bhp levels, LOP...

The procedure to do this with engine safety in mind is not that complex... and gets covered during TT...

Throw on some knowledge review for the O2 system... AC, and FIKI... (Long  Body systems and some others...)

what else do you want to cover that is Acclaim specific?

There isn’t a better, more capable, Mooney than the Acclaim... it just takes a higher level of commitment to own and operate... :)

Consider the choices... O2 ,AC, FIKI, and 310hp, And WAAS updated G1000...

If going 310hp... Getting FF set up properly has some discussion to go with it... similar to the NA brethren... 

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Go Long Body!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I went from two 201’s and 16 years and 2000 Mooney hours and got about three days of transition training to my Bravogx worthwhile time spent, in many respects the long bodies are easier to fly but the differences can hurt you if your not prepared.

Love my long body Mooney (M20R), and I  concur regarding taking airspeed (and trim) very seriously on landing. 75 kts and a normal descent profile and it's butter. 5 kts fast and you will be anxiously watching a lot of runway pass beneath you while you are hoping it settles down and hopefully resisting the temptation to put it down. 5 kts slow and you will be uncomfortably active with the yoke in order to arrest the descent. Trimming for 75 kts makes all of this much easier but also means that it takes a lot of attention to re-trim for a go around.

Great aircraft.

I too just moved to an Acclaim from a K. So far I’m flying it by the book.  Flying + 100 ROP when high and fast. - 75 LOP when not so fast. Still learning all the profiles. 

So far the Acclaim is like having all the Mooney’s rolled into one. I can fly it like a J at 145 knots on 10 GPH, like the K at 165 knots on 13.5   GPH , like the Ovation at 175 at 17 GPH, or like the Acclaim at 220 at 20 GPH. 

Really flexible and capable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I too just moved to an Acclaim from a K. So far I’m flying it by the book.  Flying + 100 ROP when high and fast. - 75 LOP when not so fast. Still learning all the profiles. 

So far the Acclaim is like having all the Mooney’s rolled into one. I can fly it like a J at 145 knots on 10 GPH, like the K at 165 knots on 13.5   GPH , like the Ovation at 175 at 17 GPH, or like the Acclaim at 220 at 20 GPH. 

Really flexible and capable. 

That is the part that I want.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:53 PM, milotron said:

An interested observer...All of these comments seem equally valid for my mid-body K. Is the long body really that different to fly or land?

Having not flown a K but having ridden in a J, I'll say yes.  Its 5 degrees nose up on the ground so you need to flare with a different perspective.  If you are a little fast and pull some power, it can sink like a stone probably due to the extra weight up front.  There's a narrower window between floating forever and planting it down a little too hard.

• Like 3