Hydraulic pump repair

Note on the flap adjust speed...

The on the ground setting is really slow compared to inflight flap retract speed...

The MM gives good guidance for on the ground speed timing to set properly, that later translates to flap retract speed in flight...

If you set it while on the ground for a normal retract rate... it will be very quick to dump lift while in flight... surprise! :)

PP thoughts only, we have copies of MMs around here as well...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The MM gives good guidance for on the ground speed timing to set properly, that later translates to flap retract speed in flight...

8~12 seconds is called out on the PDF above, and as noted the adjustment is very sensitive and check the retract speed with the nut snugged on the adjusting screw 

• Thanks 1

Went through this last month, a certain mooneyspace person was a big help!

As mooney projects go,  it was not too bad. Got my friendly IA to inspect and sign off. Costs were the rebuild kit, hydraulic fluid, and a garden sprayer and assortment of tubing to bled the system from the bottom up. This was also an idea I got here on mooneyspace.

But now that I have done the project, and knew where the leak was coming from, I believe I could have solved it with a single O-ring. Its one of those things though, if you're going to open the system and take the pump out, may as well change it all.

One thing that flummoxed me, extra parts. The lake aero kit includes two sets of o-rings for where the halves of the pump mate together. Use only the set matching the size that came out of the pump when you took it apart.

Edit: I just saw you were on the road. One tactic might be to disconnect the hydraulic supply from the pump, cap the hydraulic line, make sure I had enough fluid for the brakes, and get home without flaps. Safe, in my opinion yes, legal not so much.

Edited by Immelman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Immelman said:

Went through this last month, a certain mooneyspace person was a big help!

As mooney projects go,  it was not too bad. Got my friendly IA to inspect and sign off. Costs were the rebuild kit, hydraulic fluid, and a garden sprayer and assortment of tubing to bled the system from the bottom up. This was also an idea I got here on mooneyspace.

But now that I have done the project, and knew where the leak was coming from, I believe I could have solved it with a single O-ring. Its one of those things though, if you're going to open the system and take the pump out, may as well change it all.

One thing that flummoxed me, extra parts. The lake aero kit includes two sets of o-rings for where the halves of the pump mate together. Use only the set matching the size that came out of the pump when you took it apart.

Edit: I just saw you were on the road. One tactic might be to disconnect the hydraulic supply from the pump, cap the hydraulic line, make sure I had enough fluid for the brakes, and get home without flaps. Safe, in my opinion yes, legal not so much.

A leaking flap system will not affect the brake system but it could drain the reservoir (which would not hinder braking).