Avidyne and Jeppesen

21 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

For those us who own Avidyne IFD navigators, Avidyne and Jeppesen have collaborated to introduce pricing bundles resulting in the following:

https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/

That’s awsomeawesome!

Careful what you wish for.

Seattle Avionics data updates to my Aspens are horrible. Sometimes the data is corrupt, sometimes the update just hangs up. I wouldn't wish Seattle Avionics on anyone. In over 5 years of having Jepp updates on Avidyne IFD units that I've owned, I've never had it hang up once.

If they have any sense whatsoever, Avidyne is not going to be hassled into switching from Jepp to Seattle Avionics.

577696431_ScreenShot2019-08-18at11_16_53PM.thumb.png.54a3225045a9935dbe8b66a4b154a2b0.png

• Like 1

Whatever happens, I think there needs to be some justification of the value-add vs price for the subscription services.   The data itself comes from the gov't for free, and we can get it on our tablet EFBs for free (I do, including geo-referenced approach plates).   Jeppesen and Garmin convert that to proprietary format and then charge a bunch for it.   I don't know how that model continues without some clear value-add proposition.    The price reduction model may just be  step toward the inevitable, or it may be Boeing influence, or something else, but I suspect it's going to change a lot in a few years.

Careful what you wish for.
Seattle Avionics data updates to my Aspens are horrible. Sometimes the data is corrupt, sometimes the update just hangs up. I wouldn't wish Seattle Avionics on anyone. In over 5 years of having Jepp updates on Avidyne IFD units that I've owned, I've never had it hang up once.
If they have any sense whatsoever, Avidyne is not going to be hassled into switching from Jepp to Seattle Avionics.
577696431_ScreenShot2019-08-18at11_16_53PM.thumb.png.54a3225045a9935dbe8b66a4b154a2b0.png
Why can't they allow both data sources? Competition is always better for the consumer. That's my only point here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NJMac said:

Why can't they allow both data sources? Competition is always better for the consumer. That's my only point here.

The real question is why would Avidyne waste precious engineering resources to solve a problem that doesn't exist? They already have a data solution that works and would have to re-certify a new solution - complete waste of time for them.

All of us bought our units knowing that Jeppesen was the data provider with no mention from Avidyne that they would ever use Seattle Avionics. If another company happened to provide data that was $50 or $100 cheaper per year would it really change anyone's lifestyle? This is an old tired topic that keeps getting brought up over and over, even after Avidyne says it's not going to happen.

Getting back on topic, I am grateful that Avidyne is working with Jeppesen in creating bundles that are better priced and prefer to keep my mind focused on things much more positive and productive,

• Like 1

Just now, NotarPilot said:

Why is full USA cheaper at $299 versus $409 for Western US?

5BC5EEBE-E243-4CB9-ADB9-4EE0DCC9AFBB.jpeg

Your arrows are pointing to Full USA $299 and North America (AKA Mexico, USA, Canada) $409.  I don't see Western US as an option.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 1:20 PM, NotarPilot said:

Or the Boeing website was designed by a complete idiot. I suspect the latter.

When I spoke to them about their website a few weeks ago, the person on the phone snorted derisively and said they forgot to include the storefront on the first release.

I love Agile projects....

• Like 1