78 J Wingtip Lens

zuutroy

My partner had an issue with a fence and I need a replacement. The parts catalog note says that 210384-001 is only for serials 24-1038 and later, while mine is 0586. Just wondering if the replacement that Lasar sells will fit: https://lasar.com/lights/left-wing-tip-lens-l020-210384-001?rq=210384

Alternatively if anyone has a spare, I'll take it off your hands!

Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-14 at 20.22.44.jpeg

Edited by zuutroy

1 hour ago, rgpilot said:

That looks like someone has updated the wingtips to later model. I think the later wingtip lens will fit.

Oh right, I see the page in the parts catalog now where it shows the older style at the top. That explains my confusion.

36 minutes ago, bradp said:

@gsxrpilot might have his old set from his cool upgrade. 

Look on knots2u or GLAP as a a other source

you could even make your own :-)

Would be great to get someone's cast-off as it would be pre-drilled. The Lasar part is about 1/2 the price of the other two you mentioned so I think we'll hold out for them. They will have stock next week.

Sorry for your loss...;) Hey stuff happens.

That wingtip does not look like the factory wingtip. On the factory installed tips, there are only screws on the rear diagonal edge -- the inboard edge fits under a wing skin with no screws. To install the factory tip on an early flat tip wing would require quite a bit of metal work. This looks like a aftermarket part that was designed to retrofit the flat tips with minimum rework. The factory lens will not fit as it has cutouts on the inboard edges and I think the GLAP lens is the same. The LASAR lens has straight edges on all sides. I would look over the logbooks and airplane file for an STC/337 or other information on the installation (or maybe someone here is familiar with it) to find out what you've got and then talk to Dan at LASAR about it.

Related image

Skip

15 hours ago, zuutroy said:

My partner had an issue with a fence and I need a replacement. The parts catalog note says that 210384-001 is only for serials 24-1038 and later, while mine is 0586. Just wondering if the replacement that Lasar sells will fit: https://lasar.com/lights/left-wing-tip-lens-l020-210384-001?rq=210384

Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-14 at 20.22.44.jpeg

That's the same wingtip that I have, and both lenses have been replaced at separate times in the last decade. Call it ~$150 each from LASAR, trim to fit, tape down and mark a couple of holes, drill them out, test fit and open them up. Screw onto wing, mark the rest of the holes.

When drilling, go slowly, use a new, sharp bit and have a piece of scrap wood under the plastic. This will minimize cracking . . . . but Thin CA glue will wick into the crack when removed from the plane, lest you glue the lens to your wingtip.

• Like 1

There's another thread about how to trim and drill the lenses. I found a cutoff wheel on a dremel works best for trimming. Use a step drill bit to drill the holes and you won't crack the plexiglass -- a standard twist drill bit is likely to catch.

Skip

8 hours ago, zuutroy said:

Thanks all. This site is a great resource to have when living in a country with a grand total of one Mooney!

Ain't it great being unique!!

Please post some trip reports with photos / video from the Emerald Isle and outlying destinations!

Ugh does Harp even still exist?! Will post a few reports from upcoming trips. Past year has been mostly lessons towards getting the IR. Quite necessary living on a cloudy island. The above pic happened on a flight where my friend had to cross the English Channel at 1000ft to get home. First thing he did when he reached the airport was book his first IR lesson.

Just a final query on this. Lasar is out of stock at present so I might have to wait a bit to get it replaced. Is it  safe enough to fly without the lens assuming day VFR only (ie not switching the lights on)? I have removed the screws and shrapnel.

Edited by zuutroy

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:54 AM, zuutroy said:

Thanks.

+1 on @PT20J's comment--that is NOT the same factory wingtip as the later J models.  Did you find any info on the modification in the logs?  I suppose it might still use the same wingtip lens with a different drill pattern, but the only way you'd know would be to compare it to somebody else's lens

4 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

+1 on @PT20J's comment--that is NOT the same factory wingtip as the later J models.  Did you find any info on the modification in the logs?  I suppose it might still use the same wingtip lens with a different drill pattern, but the only way you'd know would be to compare it to somebody else's lens

Yep I'm pretty sure from having read @Hank's post and talking to Lasar that their replacements will fit. I don't remember seeing anything in the logs but I'll have another look. There are some 10+ year old photos online of it on a previous reg and those tips are present.

• Like 1