Average annual cost for everything except fuel on a 1960s 1970s era Mooney M20 series

Pilot boy

7 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

For those of you who are paying about $2000.00 for annuals, I would like to hear more about what those annuals are really like and how they are performed.  

I figure about $800.00 a day, with an annual taking about 5 days.

John Breda

John, is the cost you mention just for the annual inspection or does it include remediation of everything it finds needing attention? My annual is only $1,800 and any repair or other work I have done is in addition to that. My total bill has ranged anywhere from $2,200 to about $4,000 depending on what I need done in addition to the annual inspection, but we always talk about what has been identified by the inspection before any of that work is done. One year was mount new tires and another one was shock disc change out, but those were planned before the annual.

I have the receipt in front of me for my 2019 Annual: $1591.62 USD

• Annual Inspection $1360.00
  • Hardware Installation/Replacement 1.5 hours at $70/hr  $105.00
  • Phillips X/C 20W50  $43.00
  • Induction Filter BA6108   $10.85
  • Champion Oil Filter CH48110-1  $26.75
  • Tempest Garter Filter ARB3-5-1  $2.90
  • Rapco Filter RAD9-18-1  $19.50
  • Shipping  $24.47

That was the annual. Now add 3-hours to R&R the attitude and heading indicators ($210.00) plus the bill from Aircraft Quality Instruments ($1081.00) you can see how the overall cost of the bird going to an Annual inspection can get pricey. I had to get the instruments overhauled to rule-out a serious issue with my Century IIb autopilot -- which did fix the uncommanded roll issue. This was my cheapest annual inspection ever as last year I added on overhauled magnetos, SCAT and vacuum line replacement, etc.

• Like 2

For those of you who are paying about $2000.00 for annuals, I would like to hear more about what those annuals are really like and how they are performed.  
John Breda

Bob Belville is correct - our flat rate for an M20 is $1840. A K is a little more. You’re more than welcome to call us and talk to Lynn about everything he checks and completes in an annual (828-391-8645). If you’re paying $4000 for an annual with no big maintenance issues attached to it, our perspective is that is too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

To make a fair comparison, forget the price, quote the hours of labour and what is included in said "Annual inspection"  I'm not in a race to the bottom, compensate your maintainer like the professional he/she is.  Could you live on or run a business on the numbers quoted here?

Clarence

Going to start our annual in a couple weeks. Lake aero charges a flat rate based on model. They do lower the cost some since I work on much of the needed items. As such we will work non stop and it takes at least three eight hour days to complete the requirements of the inspection. You might get it done in less time in terms of days if you have three or four mech's working together. I like to save money as much as the next CB but I don't do owner assist to save money I do it because I like to have eyes on all that is going on with our airplane. I am sure they cost more than average but they let me work on it and not many shops will allow this. Think about all that is required on a thorough inspection there are a lot of things to check.

the Annual "Inspection" isn't horrible.

$1600 in 2017

also had new plugs installed, prob not nec but plane was new to me so $1900 total.  

$1680 in 2018

another no squawks annual, did mention rod ends and baffles may need attention soon.

$1600 in 2019

plus the following:

new aileron rod ends

new rudder rod ends

Landing gear shimmy ( prob could've just bought a new tire )

$3k total.

but had to have surefly installed so another 2k

$5k total.

I never have the oil changed at Annual.  I end up doing it like a month before annual.

i'll never admit to the cost of the other way more expensive things i've had done.

note pay in cash so the wife doesn't see it on the credit card statement

• Like 1

My first annual in a MSC in PA was expensive. Extra $500 for AD compliance, a Power Flow exhaust crack missed during PPI (resulting in a replacement unit), an engine/oil heater (need one of those in the NE), new Concord battery, and a bunch of small things added up to 9amu.

None of them besides the exhaust were expensive individually, but, oh boy, they did add up.

This is my first airplane, and in spite of the first annual financial scare I have been maintaining it at the same shop based on their good reputation, hoping it is safe while studying as much as I can about these machines, and hoping that the second annual coming up in November after close to 200 hours of Mooney time :D will be smoother. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bonal said:

I want to re direct. How many hours does it take your shop to complete your annual from start to finish not including correcting things that need repair or replacement.

I think most shops figure 23-25hrs for the 100hr/annual. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:46 AM, M20F-1968 said:

John Breda

It starts with building a 3 year relationship of trust.   That includes just stopping by to say "Hi" and bringing cookies back from trips.   And when you say Annuals, are you talking the Annual Inspection part?  or the rest of the stuff that gets done at annual.   I think taking the plane apart and putting back together every year is a bad idea.  What is better is to focus on one or two of the systems in the plane each year and R&R those systems.   So like this year it was Overhaul the Fuel Servo.  Two years ago it was the Landing Actuator, flex brake line and master cylinder.   Next year it will probably be the shock discs.  I would say we spend a day and half of !A time doing the Annual Inspection.  Which includes Inspection, Compression check, timing, paperwork, propeller hub.    I do the inspection plates and all the lubing.   Total time was probably 60-70 man hours.  The total duration took like a month and half Most of that month was waiting for the Fuel Servo OH.   My day rate in IT is a bit higher than your estimate.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:17 PM, bonal said:

I want to re direct. How many hours does it take your shop to complete your annual from start to finish not including correcting things that need repair or replacement.

I figure on 24-32 hours for the actual inspection. With a rate of $65/hr, I find my mechanic is pretty accurate on timing ($1800 for the inspection). Unless there is something major needing attention, my plane is usually out in a week or less.