Dale Jr crash 0A9

Bartman

On 8/15/2019 at 11:05 PM, Shadrach said:

4500 is not a tremendous amount of runway for a Soveriegn.

4500 feet is plenty of runway for a heavily loaded Sovereign. And 4000 feet is the minimum for a rejected takeoff in a Sovereign. They have very good performance. Can operate from a 4000 foot runway and fly non stop from Boston to San Diego. Of course, that assumes the whole runway is available for landing... meaning the wheels are on the ground in the first 500 feet or less.

4 hours ago, philiplane said:

4500 feet is plenty of runway for a heavily loaded Sovereign. And 4000 feet is the minimum for a rejected takeoff in a Sovereign. They have very good performance. Can operate from a 4000 foot runway and fly non stop from Boston to San Diego. Of course, that assumes the whole runway is available for landing... meaning the wheels are on the ground in the first 500 feet or less.

As it turns out it was a Lattitude and appearently it wasn’t plenty of runway for this particular crew in this particular airplane on this particular day. I’m assuming your numbers are sea level, standard day and not 1600’msl, Tennessee in August.

Edited by Shadrach

On the news last night they had an interview with the NTSB investigator so I guess it's ok to comment. Apparently the jet landed long, mid field and bounced a couple times before running off the end of the runway.  Seems like should have gone missed.

• Like 1

So by now everyone I'm sure has seen the cell phone video of the evacuation of the plane taken by Scott Reis and the comments he makes on the video.  What's really interesting is the fact he is Dr. J. Scott Reis, ER doc at Laughlin Memorial Hospital in Greeneville, TN.  He even comments about it being a private jet and "they just pulled a baby out of there" and "someones on the ground over there". He films for 4 minutes. Way to step up and help doc!  Pretty disgusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdygidFrLEE

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 1:10 PM, bonal said:

On the news last night they had an interview with the NTSB investigator so I guess it's ok to comment. Apparently the jet landed long, mid field and bounced a couple times before running off the end of the runway.  Seems like should have gone missed.

man that makes me so mad. 

Edited by Austintatious

On 8/25/2019 at 7:43 PM, JJV7109 said:

So by now everyone I'm sure has seen the cell phone video of the evacuation of the plane taken by Scott Reis and the comments he makes on the video.  What's really interesting is the fact he is Dr. J. Scott Reis, ER doc at Laughlin Memorial Hospital in Greeneville, TN.  He even comments about it being a private jet and "they just pulled a baby out of there" and "someones on the ground over there". He films for 4 minutes. Way to step up and help doc!  Pretty disgusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdygidFrLEE

Meh, he is a doctor, not a first responder...  He likely has no idea what the situation there is and probably wouldnt not have been much help in getting people clear of the aircraft.... for all he knows that thing might be just about to blow up like in a movie.  He did not do anything wrong here. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:11 AM, Mcstealth said:

So when I first read the headlines, I assumed the plane had crashed out of the sky. It was only after the sixth or seventh paragraph did the initial article mention the plane exceeding runway limits.

So how will the NTSB record this? Real question. Please enlighten the ignorant :)

David

Any thoughts on my question, anyone?

1 hour ago, Mcstealth said:

Any thoughts on my question, anyone?

On how they will record this?  Do you mean accident vs incident?

Clearly an accident.

Or do you mean what do we think the probable cause will be?

Here is my best guess given what I know (which isnt much)

Pilot failure to establish appropriate approach airspeed. Pilot failure to touch down in first 1000 feet of runway.  Pilot failure to initiate go around after bouncing on landing.

Possible contributing factor of tailwinds on a short runway.

FYI, we did a go around the other night at a 4800 foot uncontrolled field in a g650.. why?  Because at 500 feet we were still showing a 15 knot TW component (asos reporting calm) with a ground speed of 145 knots...  went around, came in other direction and ground speed for the last 500 feet was 105.

With Pax onboard.  They didnt even say a word. 

Be safe out there.

Edited by Austintatious
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Austintatious said:

Meh, he is a doctor, not a first responder...  He likely has no idea what the situation there is and probably wouldnt not have been much help in getting people clear of the aircraft.... for all he knows that thing might be just about to blow up like in a movie.  He did not do anything wrong here. 

Meh. E.R. Physician would mean highly skilled at dealing with trauma. Stopping bleeding. Clearing airways. Splinting. Just being a human being..as well as assessing and helping others clear vicinity of aircraft. He was ABLE, but not willing...nice video. Could of been great with quiet friend filming him being a DR and doing no harm helping heal...FAIL