Space Shuttle Landing Facility, Low Approach Runway 33

Bunti

I just uploaded a video of a low approach of the Space Shuttle Landing Facility in Florida.

I flew a few times over this remarkable airport and enjoyed it very much. This time I mounted an action camera at the tiedown-mount of my Mooney M20F and filmed the approach.

Groundspeed was about 140 knots during the overflight.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know this was a thing.  I flew right by all of this on my way back from FL when I had my tanks resealed.  I could see the VAB and all this in the distance.  Now that I've seen this, I regret I didn't swing by and do a fly over!

Back in the 90s when the Air Force left Williams AFB, A friend of mine rented one of the hangars. We had almost unlimited access to everything the Air Force left behind. In the big center hangar there was an F104. It sat in there for quite a while. It was very complete, still had all the military avionics and such. Finally the owner started working on it and got it airworthy. He was doing a low pass at the Scottsdale Air Affair a year or so after that and accidentally went supersonic about 50 feet off the ground. I was there the day before but not that day. I hear the boom was spectacular!  

I hear the FAA just slapped his wrist and made him do 5 hours of training to learn to control his airspeed better. Considering the operating costs, that's about a $10,000 fine!

Edited by N201MKTurbo