Oil Screen check & clean O-360-A1D

tigers2007

I’d bet this oil screen hasn’t been inspected in a decade or two. I guess I could scour the engine logs. I think it has 2300 SMOH. 5/8” wrench for those wondering.

8beecf9697f9312a4c830c68bdc778b8.jpg

44e310419aa58a7b1ee138c74826a7ca.jpg

5e70447eef0aa353cdaba66f395ab072.jpg

9d4b375de0c212b424e1b3177f574bbf.jpg

4229e7461acc7ec7d8e52f1e6d98fce6.jpg

3ef0a3040d2ab963b66beebb5d16be85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My new IA this year, who has touched my plane for the last time [and will never be within 1000' if I have any say] thought that my oil screen would be in horrible shape since it still had the tag from when the engine was OHed in 2003. So he pulled it, and found "zippo" in the screen or in the sump near it. Guess that 50-hour oil change is good for something after all, and that big filter that barely fits on the rear of the engine actually works . . . . . YMMV, no animals were harmed in the production of this post, guns don't kill people, forks don't make people fat, supersize me, caveat emptor, etc., etc. No representation is made that the quality of analysis in this post is any greater than the quality of analysis in any other posts.

I torqued it 135 degrees and had the copper washer seam face the pan (per the Superior manual). Hardest part was safety wiring it. It took me two tries as I didn’t like the first one. Grab like 32” or so and feed it from the port side about three inches and then go to the starboard side and reach your arm through the top like like in the photo above and guide the tip through the strainer nut’s drilled hole. You can then take a needle nose pliers and pull the rest of the wire through.

• Like 1

Great pics, Tigers..!

Doesn’t look like you found the cam shaft in there...

But, there is the start of something in there.  They look like diamond seeds.... may take a millennium for them to finish the conversion... :)

PP thoughts, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I’m guessing the big black chunks are carbon deposits?

Moderator/Admin: can you change the “A1B” to “A1D” in the title please. Says I don’t have permission to change it.

Tigers,

the title can be edited like everything else... by the person who wrote it...

The carbon chunks are the diamond seeds...  they may have shapes that can indicate where they were formed...

If big enough they may be forming in the valve guides where oil has difficulty circulating... and it is hot enough to break down the oil...

PP thoughts from my M20C experience...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hank said:

My new IA this year, who has touched my plane for the last time [and will never be within 1000' if I have any say] thought that my oil screen would be in horrible shape since it still had the tag from when the engine was OHed in 2003. So he pulled it, and found "zippo" in the screen or in the sump near it. Guess that 50-hour oil change is good for something after all, and that big filter that barely fits on the rear of the engine actually works . . . . . YMMV, no animals were harmed in the production of this post, guns don't kill people, forks don't make people fat, supersize me, caveat emptor, etc., etc. No representation is made that the quality of analysis in this post is any greater than the quality of analysis in any other posts.

Hank,

I don’t know the whole story, but it sounds like he at least did check a screen that all the other neglected.

Clarence

12 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Hank,

I don’t know the whole story, but it sounds like he at least did check a screen that all the other neglected.

Clarence

Yes, he checked the screen.

He did other things, including ordering parts, without informing me. Some work I had to take to an MSC to be redone correctly. Ex.:

• he didn't like how my nose gear door closed, so he "adjusted" it to close better. But apparently didn't test it on jacks; it went up with the normal thump, but the loud bangs during extension were audible through my headset, to say nothing of jerky rudder pedal movement. Joey Cole put her on jacks and said he was surprised the gear even came down . . . .
  • He replaced all control surface rod ends, even though I asked him not to since he didn't have a set of travel boards. Joey rerigged them; the elevator was set for max 15° up, but down went off the scale (>25°). Glad I was able to take off!
  • He replaced "badly corroded" one year old wheel bearing races (at $100 each plus 5 hours labor) after I told him to not replace the one year old bearings for 5 hours labor; the removed parts he gave me are fine, and he never mentioned it until discussing the bill.
  • The annual took ten weeks . . . . . 

If you want the rest of the story, let's do it by PM.

Glad the OP now has a clean screen. Regular oil changes should keep it clean for a long time. Mine was apparently not checked by the 4 different IAs doing annuals from 2003-2018, nothing found on inspection in 2019.

• Like 1