Cleared to land, do what you want, touch n go, etc???I h

RobertGary1

8 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

While I could understand an error being the result of inexperience from a student pilot

On my first trip to a towered airport my instructor told me that a clearance to land and a clearance to take off were two separate clearances, so I should never do a touch and go when cleared to land.  I don't know if that's in the FAR's anywhere, but it's served me well so far.

4 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

You wouldn't have much time after the second bounce of a bad landing to request a take off clearance. :) 

I did that at the home drome several months ago on a gusty day.    Our field is pretty much always busy, and the tower was fine with it.

Years ago I asked a lawyer friend a hypothetical about some similar stretch of a legal interpretation. The answer was, "You know what's right and what's wrong and so will the judge."

ATC "clears" you to do relatively few things, two of which are takeoff and land. These are separate clearances except for the touch and go (and by extension, the option). Of course a large jet may actually touch the runway when executing a missed approach from DA (I have a Boeing 737 training manual somewhere that makes that clear) and of course if you are hobby horsing down the runway the smart thing to do is to go around after the second bounce (it's the third one that usually gets you). In a sense you are exercising your emergency authority. But if you make a habit of doing touch and go arounds when cleared to land the local controller will not be pleased, and if you cause a traffic conflict you are going to get a call from the FSDO and you will have a difficult time explaining that it's OK because there's no rule against it when it's pretty clear what the intent of the rules is. And, why make life hard for the person in the tower when you don't have to? He (or she)is  just trying to make a living, feed the family and end the day without any airplanes touching.

Skip

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

Years ago I asked a lawyer friend a hypothetical about some similar stretch of a legal interpretation. The answer was, "You know what's right and what's wrong and so will the judge."

Probably even more years ago :D I had a classmate in my first year of law school. Bill came up with what he called "The Bulls**t Doctrine." 

You can quote statutes, rules, and cases, and make whatever arguments you want. At some point, the judge will say "bulls**t! Wrong! You lose!"

I've always kept it in mind. 

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 10:49 PM, PT20J said:

Skip

Agreed.  It's going to be obvious to the controller.   They might let you get by with it once,  but twice might get you in trouble.