Aspen MAX turn around time

I just talked  to my avionics shop about bringing them my plane to pull the Aspen and send it in for MAX upgrade. It seems they've sent in 4 units so far but have not got any back - at least a couple of those have been longer than the 10 day turn around that's been discussed.

Anyone here have insight? Got yours back?

Today I flew over to my avionics shop where the Aspen PFD was pulled and sent to Aspen. I flew back home to keep the plane in the hangar until the unit comes back. (The pitot static connection seal when disconnected so bu asi and altimeter work. Should be 3 weeks or a little more. That’s 10 business days at Aspen plus transit time both ways.

FWIW, the flight home was w/o vsi and dg. VFR only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wondering the same thing... I'd like to just pull the unit and send it in.

That should be possible... the removal is probably straight forward, in my case (recessed) the technician had to loosen JPI RAD to be able to get to a button on the top of the Aspen to free it. It took a little head scratching. You’d want to get shipping instructions from the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, alextstone said:

The shop or the hangar fairy?

I left mine at the shop. I have three Aspens and at Oshkosh Aspen told me how all three should be connected and there are resistors involved before going to the audio panel. I'm going to leave that to the pros.

• Like 3

I bit the bullet and paid the extra dollars to have the new units waiting at the shop when I dropped the plane off. They completed the exchange in a few hours.

I just got back from a week long trip to the west coast and San Juan islands( I'll post a report in Vacations). The new units are great!  The colors are more vibrant and refresh rates are much faster. They also boot up faster than the old units. The audible announcements for "minimums",  "terrain", and "altitude"  are also an improvement!

• Like 5

I dropped off the airplane on July 30 with a Next Day label so that the Aspens would go out to Albuquerque that day. The shop got the Aspens back much sooner, but i got the airplane back today August 23, so a little over three weeks. One of the owners has a terminally ill parent so I'm sure that played a big factor in not getting it back sooner. It's been too hot to fly anyway. Eight hours labor included chasing down a problem with my #2 nav/com.

First impression is a much nicer display but I only had a 10 minute flight home. Looking forward to a trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 9:12 AM, Cruiser said:

My units were received at Aspen in New Mexico on August 1st. They were shipped back on the 20th. and arrived at the shop yesterday.

that's longer than I thought.  I'm dropping my plane off on 10/1.  I was hoping for 2 weeks give or take.

• 4 months later...

Cessna pilot here...but waited most of the year for avionics shop to give me the "green light" for my Aspen MAX upgrade. I have two panels, the 1000PFD and the 500MFC. Flew the plane over to the shop on Dec 8, 2019.  Was told it would be a few weeks. Today is Feb 10th, still don't have it back. Nor have the units shipped back from Aspen yet.

Have reached out to Aspen and they replied they are experiencing delays with 3rd party vendors keeping up with demand for circuit boards. They were to overnight last week, but no bueno.

Soon, I'll be out of currency. I reached out to AOPA to see if they could investigate and they replied that after reaching out to Aspen and agreeing they are working through a backlog, they denied having any units as long as they've had mine.

If I'd have known I'd be over 2 months without wings, I'd definitely reconsider. Or would have planned to take advantage of this extended downtime to perform other upgrades while over at the shop. 

Disappointing for sure, but hopefully in the end it will be worth it. Learning a lot about patience, that's for sure.

Travis