The Bevington Object

HRM

16 hours ago, HRM said:

Existe esta cosa llamada 'Google'. Intentalo.

I did Google it, right after I replied to the post. So I got the information. It just seems to me that a bit more context might have helped everyone understand who isn't following TIGHAR religiously.  But titillation and obscure information are part of the process, I understand...

Personally, having examined all the photographic evidence that is now on display everywhere, I think people are stretching with this one, but you never know. I do think that Nikumaroro is the likeliest spot for them to have ended up based on other evidence. Perhaps Ballard can help validate. Only problem is, what happens to the intrigue-industry if this is ever proved? What is the next mystery to be solved.

I know...Ancient Aliens!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

But titillation and obscure information are part of the process, I understand...

I am a big fan of cockpit humor. Jeez, the innuendos surrounding the Johnson Bar alone, and we all know how superior manual gear is to electric, is enough to titillate any pilot.

36 minutes ago, HRM said:

I am a big fan of cockpit humor. Jeez, the innuendos surrounding the Johnson Bar alone, and we all know how superior manual gear is to electric, is enough to titillate any pilot.

I'm still intrigued by the "inappropriate touching" of two Mooneys on the caravan this year.   The fact that there's pressure to not talk about it makes it even better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HRM said:

You're omitting the scatalogical origins of "cockpit" itself!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sabremech said:

You might want to...

Add to their GoFundMe. OMG, they have raised $4,015 of their $55,000 goal. To think that Bob Ballard has somehow missed this incredible discovery is just mind boggling. That he has already started spending millions on his wild goose chase to Nikumaroro Island is hard to fathom. He needs to be told about this!

• 2 months later...

From https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/science/amelia-earhart-robert-ballard.html?smid=nytcore:

For two weeks in August, a multimillion-dollar search from air, land and sea sought to solve the 80-year mystery of Amelia Earhart’s disappearance.

Robert Ballard, the ocean explorer famous for locating the wreck of the Titanic, led a team aboard the resesearch vessel Nautilus that discovered two hats in the depths. It found debris from an old shipwreck. It even spotted a soda can. What it did not find was a single piece of the Lockheed Electra airplane flown in 1937 by Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan, which vanished during their doomed voyage around the world.

Dr. Ballard and his crew don’t consider it a failure. For one thing, he says, they know where the plane isn’t. And in the process, they may have dispensed with one clue that has driven years of speculation, while a team of collaborating archaeologists potentially turned up more hints at the aviator’s fate.

“This plane exists,” Dr. Ballard said. “It’s not the Loch Ness monster, and it’s going to be found.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HRM said:

...and don't forget Beryl Markham!

However, Jerrie made it around the world (setting a slew of records while she was at it), somewhat more germane to the topic at hand.  And Jerrie had one less engine and one less navigator than Earhart.

12 minutes ago, steingar said:

However, Jerrie made it around the world (setting a slew of records while she was at it), somewhat more germane to the topic at hand.  And Jerrie had one less engine and one less navigator than Earhart.

No dissing of that. Frankly, Amelia was waaay overrated as an aviatrix (versus the others) and much of her 'fame' was generated by her marketing husband.

Jerrie, however, flew a modern airplane in 1964 (my E is a '66) . Still a tremendous feat. Beryl, however, did her (East-West) cross Atlantic in 1936. If you read her biographies, you'll also know that with her in the cockpit you would not need cabin heat.

I'll also point out that both ladies died of natural causes in their 80's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steingar said:

And she accomplished her flight in a Cessna, no less.

• Haha 1