LED wingtip Strobes

Joe Larussa

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, 0TreeLemur said:

Yes, Whelen 650's - look great after we did this install.  The extra two wires needed by the 650's to power the strobes and sync are a PITA to run out the wing.  The issue it that there is no direct access to the bay directly forward of the fuel tanks, at least in my a/c.   I've got special tools that we custom configured to route those wires, which required some clever contortion and overall smart thinking.   I take issue with @Raptor05121's claim that they are "super easy to wire".  Once the two additional wires are run, they were easy.  Running those wires was absolutely not easy.  It took two hours of grunting, bending, scraping, sweating and swearing to do the first wing.   1-1/2 hours to do the second.  but I loved every minute of it.

I should have clarified- once the wires are in place, splicing 2 hot wires, a sync, and a ground are fundamentally easy. I haven't had the pleasure of rewiring a wing yet lol.

Just now, joegoersch said:

Maybe someday they'll have LED replacements for wingtip recognition lights...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for this for the Bravo...this is probably why I've held out doing the wingtip and strobe.  Would rather knock them all out at once.

If you have the clear covers... (fiberglass, shaped wing tips...)

you need a different light... one that doesn’t have a white light facing the rear...

if you have the squared off wing tips... (all aluminum)

The navlight, strobe, and white light are the right combo to have...

two vs three lights in the one unit...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

Probably a stupid question, but....

you still need to keep the clear lens wing tip covers, even if you install the Whalen 650s, right?

Not a stupid question.  If you have the LoPresti enclosed wingtip, yes.  You want to order the OR650E...not the OR600 or the Orion600.  The “E” model is specifically designed to fit the enclosed wingtips.  The other two “can” go in the same space, but the 650E is the correct application for that style wingtip.  Flat wingtips would use the 650 or 600.

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

Not a stupid question.  If you have the LoPresti enclosed wingtip, yes.  You want to order the OR650E...not the OR600 or the Orion600.  The “E” model is specifically designed to fit the enclosed wingtips.  The other two “can” go in the same space, but the 650E is the correct application for that style wingtip.  Flat wingtips would use the 650 or 600.

Steve

Thank you.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:00 PM, M20Time said:

Does anyone know where to get the LED recognition lights?   I have searched around to no avail and cannot find a direct retrofit replacement. 

Do you mean replacement LED bulbs.  Navstrobe has an offering through spruce and whelen now has their own “certificated” replacements.   AeroLites has an assortment of different lamp bases for different lamp housings   

Caution RF interference with any of these certificated or not.  

• 3 years later...

Got a few questions for those of you with the Whelen 600 / 650's:

1) With the 650, any issues with low battery voltage? (datasheet says they only function down to 11v, as opposed to the 600's which function down to 9v)

2) Anyone know which model is better for a '67 M20F?

3) We have a uAvionix ADS-B-in on the Left wing, so it already has LED's integral.  Does it have a sync wire? (install manual doesn't mention one)

4) Which model is brighter (outward and to the pilot)?

5) Which model is better for the metal wingtips like our '67 F?

3 minutes ago, SLOWR426 said:

1) With the 650, any issues with low battery voltage? (datasheet says they only function down to 11v, as opposed to the 600's which function down to 9v)

3) We have a uAvionix ADS-B-in on the Left wing, so it already has LED's integral.  Does it have a sync wire? (install manual doesn't mention one)

Sounds like a good question for @OSUAV8TER

Best regards,

-a-

12 minutes ago, SLOWR426 said:

Youll want the 600s. The 650 isnt enclosed. I think u avionics offers the other side in led since i doubt they will sync up since they have a different program.

7 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Youll want the 600s. The 650 isnt enclosed. I think u avionics offers the other side in led since i doubt they will sync up since they have a different program.

That is not correct, the Orion 650 is sealed and is designed to reside on the wing in the elements. The Orion 650E (E is for embedded) is not sealed. The Orion 650E is designed to reside in a wingtip with a lens to provide protection to the elements.

The Orion 650 or 660 will work will for a 1967 M20F.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SLOWR426 said:

Answers are in red and I carry these lights. 

I have never heard of this being an issue before.

The Orion 650 or Orion 660 is the best model for a flat wingtip 67 M20F. They have the same exact footprint as the lamp that you are replacing and the difference is that the Orion 660 has a rear facing white LED position light while the Orion 650 does not. Otherwise, the Orion 650 and 660 both have a red or green LED navigation light and a white LED strobe light that provides 180 degrees of coverage.

To the best of my knowledge, it does not.

The Orion 650 and 660 are both the same in the amount of light they emit

You already have a white tail light so the Orion 650 is the most sufficient to provide you legal coverage. If you want to spend a little more and get more light, the Orion 660 is what you need.

I am a Whelen Aerospace Technologies (WAT) authorized dealer, I carry these lights in stock at the most competitive price. I do not charge sales tax and orders over $500 ship for free.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html <-- My website

gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com <-- Email me

1-833-425-5288 <-- Call me

• Like 3