BK KI300 &KA310 Question

flysamo

51 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The KI-300 is based off of the Sandia Quattro, which is completely unreliable. They had to shut down for almost a year and re-certify and it seems they are worse now than ever. The idea of an easy replacement for the KI-256 is tempting but I would not be an early adopter on this one.

The idea of an easy replacement exists. GI275.

9 hours ago, Niko182 said:

Not everyone has had an easy time with the GI275

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=179194

Plus in the installed price range that Garmin wants for an Attitude and HSI replacement ($18000!!), there are a lot of other options out there (Aspen, G3x, Dynon).

The advantages I see on the GI275 is 1) you don't have to do any panel surgery and 2) at a high price it will interface with older autopilots.

10 hours ago, Niko182 said:

An easy replacement would be a drop in replacement.  Remove the kaI256 and then slide in whatever the new thing is.

Rewiring a panel...is expensive.  We have seen on here that GI275 costs maybe 40 hours of reworking.  That and its hardware cost makes it competitive with an ASPEN cost wise and time wise, so taking time and cost as a measure of easy I would say that there does not yet exist an easy replacement for the Kai256 - there do exist replacements, but none easy.  We have GI256, KI300, G3x, G500, etc all at various levels of not easy and expensive.  None easy and none cost no brainers.  Many reasonable choices if we take the cost of anything aviation to be reasonable.

I would have considered another solution (PFD?), but couldn't find one that would interface with my KFC-200 enabling coupled approaches. The G5 doesn't and the Garmin guys just told me in Oshkosh last year that no solution is coming up, they won't even consider. Their recommendation was - surprise, surprise - replacing the KFC-200 with a new Garmin AP plus all new servos. So when my backup AI gave up the ghost last August, I actually got the KI-300 installed as a backup AI. That was before the KA-310 was certified. I kept the KI-256 in place and thus had some time flying KI-300 side-by-side with the old KI-256 summer, fall, winter and spring with no major complaints, overheating and otherwise before connecting it to the AP last week.

We'll see where this goes.

If King manages to have the KI-300 replace the 525a as well, I might end up with two KI-300's.

If Garmin manages to have the G5 provide at least heading and heading bug information to the KFC200, a G5 might become the 525a replacement plus the backup for the KI-300.

If ASPEN manages to connect the Evolution display such that it can replace both the KI-256 and the KI525a at the same time and connect to the KFC200 performing both functions at the same time, the KI-300 might get sidelined as the backup instrument.

Or I might just buy a G5 as a (not connected) backup for either the KI-525a and the KI-300.

Backup I want. I had my 256 fail once in IMC. It was an Angel Flight, my passengers had been in an airplane for the first time in their lives, and they didn't even notice their was a problem. But needless to say, that was with a backup in place...

Juergen 

7 hours ago, juergenklicker said:

I would have considered another solution (PFD?), but couldn't find one that would interface with my KFC-200 enabling coupled approaches. The G5 doesn't and the Garmin guys just told me in Oshkosh last year that no solution is coming up, they won't even consider. Their recommendation was - surprise, surprise - replacing the KFC-200 with a new Garmin AP plus all new servos. So when my backup AI gave up the ghost last August, I actually got the KI-300 installed as a backup AI. That was before the KA-310 was certified. I kept the KI-256 in place and thus had some time flying KI-300 side-by-side with the old KI-256 summer, fall, winter and spring with no major complaints, overheating and otherwise before connecting it to the AP last week.

We'll see where this goes.

If King manages to have the KI-300 replace the 525a as well, I might end up with two KI-300's.

If Garmin manages to have the G5 provide at least heading and heading bug information to the KFC200, a G5 might become the 525a replacement plus the backup for the KI-300.

If ASPEN manages to connect the Evolution display such that it can replace both the KI-256 and the KI525a at the same time and connect to the KFC200 performing both functions at the same time, the KI-300 might get sidelined as the backup instrument.

Or I might just buy a G5 as a (not connected) backup for either the KI-525a and the KI-300.

Backup I want. I had my 256 fail once in IMC. It was an Angel Flight, my passengers had been in an airplane for the first time in their lives, and they didn't even notice their was a problem. But needless to say, that was with a backup in place...

Juergen 

The Aspen already replaces the KI256 and the 525 and interfaces with the KFC200. (You'll need the EA-100 for the Aspen to interface to the autopilot.) 

• Like 2

Correct.

Initially, I checked with Garmin if I can have two G5s replacing the KI 256 and the KI525a. That didn't work because the G5 replacing the KI-256 just won't talk to the KFC  200 with or without the GAD29b, hence no flight director... 

So I needed the KI 300 as a KI256 replacement, but I could put a G5 with a GAD 29b underneath the KI300 replacing the KI525a I guess...

I'm still hoping my 525a will hold up until there's a PFD around that does the trick replacing the whole 6-pack with the KI-300 as a backup for 5 out of the 6 functions. I have a second VOR-LOC-GSI backing up the HSI, so that would be acceptable to me.

Yet the folks at Dynon are holding an STC that excludes interfacing with an autopilot.  So that won't do. Nor will the Aerovue Touch.

It's "Keep flying and hope for the best...."

There is.  Its a G3X.  You could do one 275 to replace the attitude indicator and on G5 for the HSI to save a little bit of money.  I was waiting for what turned out to be the 275.  But when the price came out, it was not the right solution for me.  Instead, I decided to go just a bit further and replace the whole autopilot (GFC500) with 2 G5s.  The price wasn't all that much more than a pair of 275s talking to the old autopilot when you consider I'm now going to have all new servos and new everything.