Sidewinder leaking oil

Zulee

I purchased a SideWinder in July 2018 and over the past couple of weeks I've notice oil on the drill motor.  Has anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do about it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Sidewinder oil.HEIC

Edited by Zulee
attached a picture

I have the same issue, mine is about 8 months old.  I wipe it off and it take a few uses for it to come back, I was thinking it was preservative oil?  I have not seen any change in function but have been meaning to email sidewinder about it.  

Contacting Redline did not yield a lot of support...here is the response I received.  Apparently they don't feel the drill motor is their responsibility and recommended I take it to a small tool repair center.  Really?  

Hi Rick:

We have had this issue come up a few times lately. Milwaukee is 
completely dismissive about it. They just say,"it is a construction 
tool, sometimes if you leave it in a certain position, it will leak a 
little". The only thing I can suggest is to talk it to a small tool 
repair center near you and see what they say.

Sorry for the situation, but that is the manufacturers position.

Best regards,

Linn Kastan - REDLINE AVIAITON

1 hour ago, Zulee said:

Contacting Redline did not yield a lot of support...here is the response I received.  Apparently they don't feel the drill motor is their responsibility and recommended I take it to a small tool repair center.  Really?  

Hi Rick:

We have had this issue come up a few times lately. Milwaukee is 
completely dismissive about it. They just say,"it is a construction 
tool, sometimes if you leave it in a certain position, it will leak a 
little". The only thing I can suggest is to talk it to a small tool 
repair center near you and see what they say.

Sorry for the situation, but that is the manufacturers position.

Best regards,

Linn Kastan - REDLINE AVIAITON

That's a less-than-useful support reply considering the less than pleasant "Aviation Markup" associated with the Milwaukee component.

10 hours ago, David_H said:

That's a less-than-useful support reply considering the less than pleasant "Aviation Markup" associated with the Milwaukee component.

Who's making that markup, though?   I don't think it's Milwaukee, so they probably don't have that much motivation.

• Like 1

I have to say, Redline is the most frustrating and incompetent people to work with I have encountered in a while. I ordered a Sidewinder July 8. The website says allow 2 to 3 weeks lead time. I still have not received it despite be assured on August 7 and August 14 that "it is shipping today". If I was not so far in, I would cancel the order. Worse, they wasted no time charging my AMEX on July 9 rather than when it shipped. I can say nothing good about their customer no service.

27 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

I have to say, Redline is the most frustrating and incompetent people to work with I have encountered in a while. I ordered a Sidewinder July 8. The website says allow 2 to 3 weeks lead time. I still have not received it despite be assured on August 7 and August 14 that "it is shipping today". If I was not so far in, I would cancel the order. Worse, they wasted no time charging my AMEX on July 9 rather than when it shipped. I can say nothing good about their customer no service.

I think they build Mooney stuff to order. Have you tried calling them? That worked for me when I wanted a shipping update. 

Yes, and on August 7 they said, "shipping today". Then he told me they really got slammed by Osh Kosh. OK....but I ordered it two and a half weeks before Osh Kosh.. Called them yesterday, "shipping today". Just got notice they have not even handed the box to UPS, just prepared a shipping label.  

I don't mind it taking time, just tell me the truth. If Mooney stuff takes longer, they should say that on their website or when you order the product. Bottom line, be honest with your customer. Learned a long time ago as an airline pilot, don't BS your customer. Tell them the truth, tell them the whole truth and if it is your fault...own up to it. People can handle the truth better than they can handle a lie.

The fastest way to get one is to order from Spruce.  I think that its right that they are made to order.  If you order directly, you get to wait your turn in the manufacturing line.  Spruce orders a bunch, they get made, and then they sit on a shelf at Spruce waiting to be bought.  They already did the waiting part.  So, you can have it in a matter of days that way.

When possible, I buy direct so the manufacturer gets more of the proceeds.  But in this case, I almost wonder if it doesn't work out better for them anyway.  Its probably easier to make 20 at a time or however many Spruce keeps in stock.  Possibly a win win for Sidewinder and Spruce.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/redlinesidewinder.php?clickkey=7641

Part# 13-06860
In Stock Icon In Stock
Expected to Deliver: Tuesday, Aug. 20
Edited by hypertech

6 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I went through the same slow timing on delivery, I actually left them alone until we reached about a month from my order date.  I called and had it 4-5 days later.

Greatness is worth waiting for...

Linn Kastan is the guy...

Its not a huge corporation.

Sure there isn’t a reason to mislead a customer.

Expect that it is accidental... then move forwards...

The Best headsets are made by an equally small company...

Just before and after KOSH things get messy...

Complain hard enough you might get your money back... but you won’t have the great device you wanted to have...

Pretty much a first world kind of problem.  :)

PP thoughts only, somebody said patience is a virtue...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 12:17 AM, PT20J said:

Think that's bad, just try to order a QT Halo headset!

That's an apples and oranges comparison.  Phil won't let you order a Halo unless he has them built and in stock.  Yes, you have to be patient and wait for him to post them on the website, but your money isn't tied up like GeeBee's case and then left to wonder when the product will ship. 

Edited by flight2000

Actually I was misled three times. First on their website where they say "2 or 3 weeks" lead time. Second, after one month on August 7 when I called. Next on August 13 when I called again and told it was going to ship that day. It shipped finally, two days later. I don't mind bad news, just tell me the truth so I can make intelligent decisions.

I think hypertech has the right idea. Order through Spruce.