The Other Fine Mooney Brand

I was on the UC Berkeley Cycling team way back in the olden days (as I told my sons - back when the world was in Black and White).

And my first custom racing bike (vs my first racing bike which came earlier), was a Mooney.  He builds fine custom classic steel racing bikes.  Unfortunately mine only lasted about 6 months as I munched it in a bike crash pile-up.  As if oft to happen as a bike racer.  Ah the good ol' days of bent steel, munched wheels, road rash, and seeping white bandages.

I see one is for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223609279232

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I was on the UC Berkeley Cycling team way back in the olden days (as I told my sons - back when the world was in Black and White).

And my first custom racing bike (vs my first racing bike which came earlier), was a Mooney.  He builds fine custom classic steel racing bikes.  Unfortunately mine only lasted about 6 months as I munched it in a bike crash pile-up.  As if oft to happen as a bike racer.  Ah the good ol' days of bent steel, munched wheels, road rash, and seeping white bandages.

I see one is for sale on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223609279232

Get it!! 

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Get it!! 

:-)

...you bet!  But I don't want to bid too soon!  Stand by.

So btw Peter Mooney was building custom racing bikes back when bicycling was very niche and there were VERY few American Made top end bike frames.  In the era of Huffy, most bike racers would be looking at Bianchi, and other Italian frames.  And Mooney was (is) all class.

http://www.peter-mooney.com

29 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

:-)

...you bet!  But I don't want to bid too soon!  Stand by.

So btw Peter Mooney was building custom racing bikes back when bicycling was very niche and there were VERY few American Made top end bike frames.  In the era of Huffy, most bike racers would be looking at Bianchi, and other Italian frames.  And Mooney was (is) all class.

http://www.peter-mooney.com

Yep, wait till the last few seconds, way over bid it (within reason of course) and bid!  Good luck !

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Yep, wait till the last few seconds, way over bid it (within reason of course) and bid!  Good luck !

:-(. I missed it. And it was the same size as my once upon a time 1989 Peter mooney frame.  63cm.  I ride a 62cm today but the style now is for fitting slightly smaller frames.

this just gave me the itch.  i think a peter mooney will adorn my garage - and hangar - before too long.

Edited by aviatoreb

Bikes and planes - like the Wright brothers.  

Btw - reading about the engineering and testing Orville and Wilbur did (and seeing some of the instrumentation they came up with in say, an afternoon) blew my mind when I visited the EAA museum.  

16 minutes ago, bradp said:

Bikes and planes - like the Wright brothers.  

Btw - reading about the engineering and testing Orville and Wilbur did (and seeing some of the instrumentation they came up with in say, an afternoon) blew my mind when I visited the EAA museum.  

I know!

i have always pleasured to notice how the mooney chromoly frame is so very close in building concept/skill set as a classic steel frame bike that is indeed also chromoly - so a Al Mooney frame and Peter Mooney frame are very similar underneath it all.

KFFA is still on my bucket list.

8 hours ago, ohdub said:

Ooohhh, is this where we get to show off our bikes? Do they need to have a chromoly frame? Ours are all aluminum or carbon.

Yes but - It doesn’t matter what it’s made of as long as it’s badged Mooney. Since it’s Mooneyspace.

Edited by aviatoreb