Help needed on lean assist function G1000

I am still fairly new to the G1000.  When I first got my plane I had no problem with the lean function.  I would hit lean and then turn back mixture until it peaked.  I could go LOP and it would show a minus next to the number that would increase if I continued to lean.  If I wanted ROP of peak it show a plus sign after turn richer after hitting peak.  However, I recently had the GIA 63W (WAAS upgrade) installed and now I am not able to use this feature.  

When I now hit lean now I can’t seem to ever get to the highest point where it would start counting back.  I don’t want to get too much past 1650 but I wonder if someone could explain the best technique for using the lean feature?  Thanks in advance!

KD,

Is this for your TNIO550?

Sounds like part of the WAAS upgrade was a software update...

There is a thread around here that may cover the details related to the GIA63W upgrade...

1) This is the short list, where I thought your challenge would get mentioned...  

2) there there is a broader list...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=GIA63W

I didn’t see anyone with a shared experience like yours... so it could be good news of finding the right button...  :)

Since leaning with TIT is a critical function for the TNs... it’s got to be there...

While waiting for a G1000 user with the answer to arrive.... @Danb (Bravo owner) may be around here.... consider contacting @TrekLawler who can often be found easily at BT... or @Pmaxwell....

If the button has a mechanical type challenge... Some Big G hardware often does this... button exercise sometimes makes the button work....

Good luck with your next steps...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or g1000 user...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

My procedure for 29x2500 Lean  O'Peak:

1. Big Mixture Pull back to about 16 GPH or whatever it takes to get a noticeable reduction in power.
  2. Hit lean button on engine page.
  3. Add fuel slowly until peak (usually 1705-1715). 
  4. Re-lean to  50-65 LOP

The Big Mixture Pull gets you through the detonation danger zone (Red Box, for those who have taken the APS Red Pill) quickly.  Brief time spent above 1700 while establishing peak shouldn't hurt anything.  If you were getting peak at 1650' on a TSIO550 running 2500 rpm and 28-29", something was not right.

One other things to check:  is your fuel flow accurate? Mine had a dirty connector and was reading low. And TIT probes will read low when they are failing.

-dan

Edited by exM20K
  • Like 2

KD I generally don’t use the auto lean function but have, not since my WAAS upgrade I don’t believe. I’d lean must faster to mitigate time above 1600, I also don’t do the big pull but would rather than hang around with high TIT, once you have a good idea of how far to lean I’d get there quicker. I don’t have gami’s but can run 30-50 LOP ok, but don’t. Good luck and let us know your final numbers. 

• Like 2

Dan,
Any insight on the G1000 auto lean question?
Best regards,
-a-

Not sure about auto-lean. The most recent software does show degrees from peak TIT, but it doesn’t leave a mark at peak ETG for each cylinder. Since I care most that the richest cylinder is at least 50’ LOP, and since they all do peak at about the same fuel flow, I just take a picture of the display at peak TIT to be sure. IMG_2269.jpg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The WAAS upgrade definitely involves a software update but I don’t know what the connection might be to the disappearance of the lean assist function.

Guess I was lucky as it never went away for me and I still have the peak markings for each cylinder and the delta from last to peak in the information box.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Robert

• Like 2