Maps at bottom of your posts?

BrianW

Hi All,

I did a search here and don't know how to add the US Map with the states that I've visited to the area at the bottom of my posts like I've seen on other MS'ers.

So,

1) Where do I find a map that can be filled in?

2) Is it easy enough to fill in states visited and update the map?

3) In the forum posts, what is the bottom portion of our posts called?  (I may have been able to figure it out, but I was guessing the name for my searches - footer, signature, tagline...:unsure:grrrr!)

4) How do I add the map to the bottom section of my posts (whatever that bottom portion is called)?

Thanks,

Brian:)

Brian,

Try this...

Start at the top of the thread...

The bottom area is called the signature line...  spend some time looking around the personal data areas for your self... they can be a challenge to find, but are pretty easy to work out when you get it.

Best regards,

-a-

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Hi All,

I did a search here and don't know how to add the US Map with the states that I've visited to the area at the bottom of my posts like I've seen on other MS'ers.

So,

1) Where do I find a map that can be filled in?

2) Is it easy enough to fill in states visited and update the map?

3) In the forum posts, what is the bottom portion of our posts called?  (I may have been able to figure it out, but I was guessing the name for my searches - footer, signature, tagline...:unsure:grrrr!)

4) How do I add the map to the bottom section of my posts (whatever that bottom portion is called)?

Thanks,

Brian:)

The bottom is called the "Signature" which is sometimes hard to find where the settings are. If you click on your name at the top right and go to "Account Settings" you will then see the link to modify your "Signature" over on the left side.

Brian,

I had the exact same question as you.  I used Google and found the following website that allows you to make and save the map.  From there you can insert it into your profile.  As you can tell, my map has almost nowhere I have taken my Mooney to.  I am tempted to put the places I have visited for work LOL.  That would be quite the map.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the what I do at my day job.    Should the map not just automatically update based on your flights?   It would be easy to do, just pull the Flight Radar 24 feed or the Flight Aware feed and then send it to the map.   Of course why stop there, you could have it auto update airports.   Ya I know everyone just freaked out a little.  Yetti will never never willingly install a listening device in his home.

Edited by Yetti

Just now, Yetti said:

In the what I do at my day job.    Should the map not just automatically update based on your flights?   It would be easy to do, just pull the Flight Radar 24 feed or the Flight Aware feed and then send it to the map.   Of course why stop there, you could have it auto update airports.   Ya I know everyone just freaked out a little.

While it's a very manual process, I do keep track of every airport that I visit [ID, name, location, date of 1st visit, runway length, any notes] on a separate tab in my master spreadsheet. 

Other tabs exist for tracking states visited by mode [drive through, airline to, pilot to, personal vs. business, etc.] [so far, 47 of 'em], tracking airplane insurance hours using their breakdown fields, trips outside the country, First Flights, places I've lived, etc., etc.

Sorry . . . but us engineers just seem to live by spreadsheets . . . .

46 minutes ago, Hank said:

While it's a very manual process, I do keep track of every airport that I visit [ID, name, location, date of 1st visit, runway length, any notes] on a separate tab in my master spreadsheet. 

Other tabs exist for tracking states visited by mode [drive through, airline to, pilot to, personal vs. business, etc.] [so far, 47 of 'em], tracking airplane insurance hours using their breakdown fields, trips outside the country, First Flights, places I've lived, etc., etc.

If you use myflightbook.com it will keep track of all of that for you and you can download it into an Excel sheet anytime you want. All kinds of other features, print off sheets like an actual logbook, print off 8710 forms, graphs of flight time, landings, etc... 

Airports-MyFlightbook-Richard-Brown-2019-08-22.csv

I update my log book, (ForeFlight) once a quarter or so. I just can't seem to be bothered to do it any more often. I just use either what ForeFlight recorded for me automatically or I cross reference with my JPI data on SavvyAnalysis. The JPI data is my source of truth as I often forget about flights I might have made and left the iPad at home, or ForeFlight didn't get it for some reason.

I know, terrible record keeping....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

If you use myflightbook.com it will keep track of all of that for you and you can download it into an Excel sheet anytime you want. All kinds of other features, print off sheets like an actual logbook, print off 8710 forms, graphs of flight time, landings, etc... 

Airports-MyFlightbook-Richard-Brown-2019-08-22.csv 5.15 kB · 1 download

I don't want every flight in my spreadsheet, only my first visit to each airport, to track where I've been. Don't want flight time, either, just date and runway length, and when I remember, my hiurs when I went there first.

It's just a small slice of my giant spreadsheet. I'm hangared in only my 5th airport in two states, but am living in Residence #42 in Town #22 scattered across 8 U.S. states and 2 Japanese prefectures. Each is tracked by location and time, and broken down by area, summarized by region and state, and marked where I've lived longest single duration, longest total time and most times. Etc., etc.

I try to track Instrument and Night Currency too, but it's troublesome and on a separate sheet.

But it's not on my phone, don't want multiple versions laying around getting different pages updated . . . . .

3 hours ago, Hank said:

No no please create more.   Converting spreadsheets to something automated is has kept me employed for a good while now.    The best one we did a refinery.   This guy spent 7 hours a day updating spreadsheet and 1 hour gineering.   We converted it to real time data so that it updated continuously.   Not sure what the guy did with the rest of his day.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Not sure what the guy did with the rest of his day.

If he was like some of my clients, he spent that time learning how to download from what you built into an Access "database" so he could still produce reports that caused everyone to question those coming from a real-time database.

But maybe I'm just a bit cynical....

30 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

If he was like some of my clients, he spent that time learning how to download from what you built into an Access "database" so he could still produce reports that caused everyone to question those coming from a real-time database.

But maybe I'm just a bit cynical....

I just exit the conversation when Access is mentioned.   You built it you fix it.  nope not gonna do it.

• 4 years later...