What’s this by the wing root

Holy cow, Dad!

Psssst....

Check the list...

The pre-flight check list...

I think you just discovered....

The Pitot drain...  :)

See if you can find a very similar looking one under the tail cone beneath the N on the tail number...

Really modern Mooneys got two pitot static drains... the one closest to the pitot tube is the pitot drain...

The one nearest the static ports is the static drain...

Great video... didn’t keep us guessing what you were talking about..!

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

Hahaha.  Thanks!!!   Guess it’s a good thing I chipped all the paint off it!!!  It was just a blue blob seconds before I shot my Oscar winning video.   Is this just a Mooney thing?   I don’t ever remember small Cessna or Beeches having one when I learned 30 years ago.  17000 hours and tons of planes in my logbook and I’m still learning.  My old aircraft manual and the checklist don't even mention it.

Jason

Edited by air cooled dad
  • Like 1

Jason,

it is a high end traveling machine kind of thing...

65Cs didn’t even get a static drain.  Mine only had a dead leg to collect the water, to be drained later....

Once you reach F level... the ultimate NA traveling machine was being born.... delivered complete, right from the factory...

See if you can get the latest M20F and J POHs.  There is a lot of information in there for procedures and things that may make sense for updating your check lists...

The latest F POH will be proper for your plane, in terms of raw numbers...  using the J POH for raw numbers wouldn’t be proper for your F...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Just now, PT20J said:

Now that you’ve found the pitot drain, you can look for the static drain. (Hint: it’s near the static ports).

Cherokees have them inside the cabin at the left wing root. 

Skip

Thanks, but I'd rather not drain water inside the cockpit . . . Under the wing and just behind it are much better places!

Got any Mooney fly-in’s nearby?

Hanging out with other Mooney pilots... Training with other Mooney pilots... seeing a lot of other Mooneys...

Sharing documents, updating checklists, getting proper documents for your plane can all be very helpful...

... all are great ways to uncover decades of oddities that seem to sneak into airplane ownership...

Transition Training with Mooney specific instructors has a way of uncovering a lot of hidden issues, quickly...

Painted over P/S drains wouldn’t need to go for a flight to be found by somebody who knows where they are supposed to be...

I’m glad you asked, on MS...  See if we can find some other oddities... keep looking.

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 9:36 PM, air cooled dad said:

It’s probably covered in paint too.  I’ll take a peek next time I’m at the hangar.  Guess the painter forgot to mask them off.  It just looked like an old antenna tip that had been painted completely over.  

Left edge of battery cover follow that down to the bottom of the plane just beyond the curve where it gets flat.