HSI Problems

Jack46

I have an '88 J model/205. The DG function of the HSI is not working. The DG compass card stays stationary when the heading changes. The little striped flags are visible. Any hints on how to diagnose without going to the avionics shop?

If it is a King KCS55A system, there is the unit in the panel that is probably good.  The magnetometer is probably good.  The gyro/control box (KG102??) in the radio bay is usually the culprit.  First flight in my airplane, this failed.  HSI needle worked, manual slaving would turn the card but the card would not follow either a turn or compass.  If this is the case, pull the KG102 out and have it bench checked.  I was lucky and had a friend with a recent overhaul before being replace with a G500 system.  Someone offered a KG102 for sale on this site a couple months back.

• Like 1