15 Paint Options - Vote

RedSkyFlyer

For resale, best option is to mimic the latest factory paint scheme. Makes the plane seem newer. If you get too crazy, it may only appeal to you. 

On the other hand,  Mooneys are always going to be a seller’s market buy when the economy is good because they don’t make many new ones and they don’t make mid- and short-bodies at all any more and a lot of the ones out there are, ah, shall we say undesirable.  All airplanes go buyer’s market when the economy tanks (which is probably overdue).

Curious: Has anyone who has painted a plane a dark color noticed any difference in cabin temps from white? 

Skip

The factory schemes from 1-4 years ago were awful. Some young tuner car kid was calling the shots on that, and missed wildly. These arent Fast and Furious Honda Civic's. Time wont be kind to them.

However, they got it right on the maroon and white airplane that N205J is modeled after. Ive talked to him about it, and we both had the same reaction. We were stopped in our tracks. Dark on top, parabola shaped white from behind the wing, the middle color wide in front of the wing, then narrow, then  wide again. Holy crap.

Since I had already finalized my scheme and paid the man, it was too late.  the plane was at he paint shop. I did float the idea to my wife and 3rd airplane partner, and got shot down. Had I showed them N205J, they would have okayed a complete swap in schemes and pay Scheme Designers another 800$.   However, Dan, owner of N205J,  was a little further behind, but was able to do it.

The newest plane at the Mooney trailer at OSH has a similar family style scheme. Wide in front, narrow in middle, then wide again. Bright teal blue metallic with some slash stripes through the black center strip. Another watershed scheme. fantastic.  We talked to Craig @ Scheme Designers about it also. its gonna be a smash hit.

I’m a huge fan of updating the original scheme subtly.  Perosnally, there’s a lot of Nike swooshes on planes these days (not just moonry) and that may be a style just to eventually fall out of fashion just like my puke colored carpet.  Also remember that curves or long lines can make the plane look longer or shorter, as can a different color belly (longer line)

Of the options presented the bandit (last one) balances the swoosh pretty good.  The bandit is a 60s C/E model throwback.  Some of those 60s paint schemes are super classy but not appropriate for your bird  

It would be really cool if you updated and modernized  your original scheme - embrace the 80s in some way.  

1 minute ago, jetdriven said:

Again, you need to be using a 231 line drawing or the paint shop won’t be able to replicate the scheme without changing something. You may hate it and it’s too late it’s done. 

Would you be able to help supply one? I will share with the shop.

Thanks

Your scheme designer should have the proper line drawing. Thats his job, to render the artwork on the proper aircraft.  The drawings you are presented cant be rendered on a 231 without modifying them somewhat, that leaves interpretation up to the tape layout guy.  If they use a paint mask, it wont fit the aircraft.

Scheme Designers uses the right line drawings for the plane, and supplies 13 pages of measurements and details.  Plane Schemer, their competitor, often use the wrong line drawings. You cant get there from here doing that because the artwork doesnt fit the aircraft.   Especially when going from a short body to a mid, or long.

I feel pretty strongly about this, because you paid a hundred grand for the plane and another 15K for the paint, to have the stripes in the wrong place because the drawings dont fit the plane. So the shop "interprets" the drawings.  Its a more detailed process than "here's a magazine cover,  make my plane look like that". But its basically that.

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.58.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.58.26 AM.png

• Like 2

If anyone could share the vectors drawing for the 231 I’ll pass them onto the paint shop. 

Not to be dismissive but don't want the chef to spit in my soup...They are a very professional outfit so I am sure I will be happy with the final result! 

See below photos of the progress so far, absolutely nil rust or hidden surprises found so far, my engineers has been down to sign off whilst all the panels & flight controls were off. 

Great, if not surprising news considering she’s parked outside 365 days a year in sunny Blighty! 

BDF014FC-F2B5-4DAC-AEDB-5DEC7D39D321.jpeg

F9BDCD37-DFF5-4FD1-9724-60CE1CE6719E.jpeg

FE452733-1CFB-4F63-81F7-7F8A60D15DD9.jpeg

• Like 2

Redsky,

Did you give schemedesigners a heads up?

They may have the drawing, or can find one... they are experts at digitizing graphics... why try and supply vector drawings that probably don’t exist in the wild?

Now you are waiting... you’re kind of running low of time, aren’t you?

As far as spit in the soup goes...

Wait till you see the chef when he tries to put the tiny design on that beautiful giant proboscis.... :)

how are you going to explain that you knew about this in advance but didn’t want to tell him? :):)

He will notice faster than Byron pointed out the error above... and that was pretty quick.

Just trying to be helpful...  picking up the dropped ball, and putting it back in your hands.... you can do It! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Paint shop are aware we are are using the wrong vectors but they don’t seem too bothered. 

Think I’m going to go with the last option, Titanium Silver, Black(solid) ‘eyeliner’ & Rouge (Solid) under carriage with fake boots going up the leading edges of the wings all covered in a clear coat. 

Completion 2 weeks, photos to follow!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I'm late but I like this one:

837000DD-5581-47AE-89C3-48708E6252F5.png

except I'd paint Mooney bird in metallic black.

Couple of comments: I would definitely spend extra and have registration number with shadow. Also would go with different then white for registration base color.

Years ago, when I was getting quotes for my 14M, one of the leading shops on CA was adamant Mooney "needs" N-numbers slanted forward, to match the V-stab. I believe they were correct and I did it for my bird.