15 Paint Options - Vote

RedSkyFlyer

DecisionsDecisions!

The AC is currently being stripped down at Airtime in Bournemouth, England. 

I really need to make a decisions so Terry can order the METAlLIC paint. I’m 99% sure on the silver base cost (Either Diamond Silver, Gun Metal Grey or Titanium Silver) but I’m not sure about the second colour (if any) and line work/ graphics.  Note I have vintage red interior which I would quite like to keep ... As much as I love the blue option I think it may clash. 

I’m drawn to the Burgundy on silver or grey on silver with the black eye liner or a simple silver all over with black tail, gear doors, bonnet & cowling.

personally I’m not so keen on modern graphics & lines but it seems to be more popular (thinking about resell value) 

Thanks for your opinions! 

F5574F16-1063-4170-A222-22803F68D2D2.png

17F1B087-0DCD-4936-B9D0-B4A57873E245.png

B707913E-07AC-4773-834C-BACA1BBAD63F.png

CD61BD3C-3091-4598-B878-045D9799DAF5.png

9F12CFEF-833E-49C8-9E74-31BB88FB57C2.png

55F5D717-3476-474D-925E-2194F928D042.png

837000DD-5581-47AE-89C3-48708E6252F5.png

9AA1E4F2-E4E7-433B-9FC1-46FAA0A6F6AF.png

53E169FC-25E6-4767-B5B8-195C3F4DEBAE.jpeg

A3DFF284-E9A7-484F-92AC-0692E7077286.png

1F1F93CD-01E6-48F8-9008-838392894DA1.png

85C3E9D8-3BF1-4D5B-9232-BE7874B650C3.png

AC9F0A59-1A35-4F95-A146-67673E008D27.png

DC1CBD34-4D3D-46CC-8E09-E890C501E241.png

3EA66BF2-20C3-4D2F-B1F3-27ACA4FB6060.png

F8AB8C24-78C1-4694-87FC-3A3A84AD9904.jpeg

323EC9D6-AB02-4E65-8DB7-D22498C54BB2.png

I really like the silver base coat.  One of the highest quality paint jobs I’ve seen on MS was also done with a silver base @mooneyman ‘s Ovation.

My vote is for the scheme below although its hard to tell. The length of the plane makes a big difference on the look, but the K’s look good in everything. 

8C9E9436-7A61-4ED6-9AEC-A379CC40A529.jpeg

4DEF7A4F-1215-4E81-89FF-02A121ACD986.jpeg

I vote for the bottom scheme but without a swoop tail. I understand your concern about resale but I think the swoopy stripes are starting to look dated. I really like the new Acclaim paint but think if they’d taken the silver all the way around the front of the cowl it would look even better (see my crude iPad mark up). I’d likely end up with a combination of these two. I love the bandito mask windows in the last scheme and I also love the way the solid tail tapers into the top of the fuselage on the new Acclaim.

2DB34D6F-E455-4F3B-BF97-0FC7BF104EFC.thumb.jpeg.b5071bcdad6891e3b516754e676c0ae4.jpeg

66BED738-F424-4666-A48B-09BE4266B874.thumb.jpeg.f21ce98a94e4f0955c82ba9197bf8669.jpeg

Edited by Shadrach
Typo.
  • Like 1

Great Sunday morning crowd source challenge!

Whichever colors and scheme you go with...

1) Resale won’t have much of an effect...

2) If you really like it, it is a personal choice that few others will appreciate...

3) Incorporate the big A-M Eagle.... a very nice touch!  Subtle shade variations so it blends in with whatever scheme you select...

4) @Hyett6420 may be able to help with ideas on execution in your part of the Mooney world...

Good luck making a choice involving the public... you have a better chance of finishing an LOP/ROP discussion...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Personal choice only...

I really like the black nose 21 from the top. I’ve also liked the 231 on the tail. Reminds me of being a kid and seeing all the new Mooney’s in the 80’s that looked so fast. I also, like solid black/dark tails. 

-Matt

I love the designs and I agree with jetdriven.  I may extend the black swoosh forward to the rear window.  That incorporates the new design to the existing great designs. 

Now to color.  You mentioned silver, gun metal grey and titanium silver.  Color is so personal.  Personally, I think that a red/burgundy with gun metal grey is a richer color combination than a silver or titanium silver.  Of course, this is just an opinion that doesn't really matter.  It will be great regardless.

Just keep in mind that metallic paint is nearly impossible to touch up.  For stripes and things it’s cool but for an all over base coat, it’s troubling. The leading edges of the wings get wear, and touching up silver or blue metallic with a brush will look awful.  Re-spraying the panel is the only option and that will also look different. At different sun angles the metallic looks different.  So you have this metallic pearl white or silver plane with one wing skin that doesn’t match.  We tried this with my friends Cardinal RG back in 1999.  
On cars you can cheat because you can blend the sliver over a large panel that’s curved. Then you re-clear the panel.  Not really an option for a plane.  Clear coat on those is it’s own problem.  

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

I mean no disrespect to the tastes of others.  I'm prone favor to ageless looks, simplicity, and a subtle edgy presence that draws the observer in to really considering the inherent uniqueness of what's under the paint instead of the paint itself.  And we're talking about a Mooney here in the first place that can speak for itself.

To me...I don't particularly appreciate all the ~swooshiness today, and I have to wonder how the style will be looked at in say 10-15 years.  Insofar as there's a style pendulum that swings between trendy and conservative...I think all the swooshes are about as aggressive-trendy as you can get, and when things go back conservative...the swooshes will look clearly out of fashion.  If you choose conservative then you're be fashionable half the time in history (off and on).

The above said I favor the non-busy look with the large eagle on the tail.  No large swooshes to clash with the elegant lines of the Mooney planform, while the large eagle (with short wings) speaks heritage and unique culture.  You look at that and you know you're dealing with a plane that's all business with history, and not today's basketball shoe.

And there's probably some correlation to the above assessment and the fact that it's cheaper to choose a conservative paint scheme. :)

eagg.JPG

Edited by Tom
Editted: changed preference to the more simple burgandy eagle scheme (matches interior)
  • Like 4

FWIW, I like the White, Burgundy and Blue tops (first, fifth and sixth) . Don't care for fairly solid grey as it doesn't have enough contrast. The vintage mooney designs at the bottom are well done too, but I don't think they belong on a K model.

Bottom design from the OP would be my choice.  Gonna look awesome no matter.

I would also stay away from metallic base, however something close to “bright shiny aluminum” might be nice as it won’t show those few inevitable chips on the leading edge.

Does anyone consider the lighter colors for the top, especially the cabin to help keep the airplane cooler on the ground?

Definitely check the base drawing detail... the J cowling is quite a bit shorter than the K cowl...

The J/Missile uses a K’s cowl... it’s all about the extra two cylinders and their support....

Catch of the day, brought to you by one Byron!  :)

That could get a bit messy when trying to apply the layout onto the plane...

Best regards,

-a-

I like blue.

But all the colors are great.

I had my airplane redone about a year and a half ago, and I specifically avoided swoopy lines since lately so many airplanes have that and I wanted something to stand out.  So I made up a scheme that reminded me in a way of a 1960s car. I get compliments on the paint wherever I go it seems. (And taking nothing away from J&M who did a superbly beautiful workmanship on the paint job).

A quality paint job and a well kept plane would sell.  So forget about the buyer and buy yourself the paint job you love now.

• Like 2

Honey Mooney has great provenance...

A well known bird, all around the world.   :)

Cost goes up with complexity, more colors, more stripes, more perfection, more.... but, not a lot more in the scheme of getting a good paint job completed...

Best regards,

-a-