Nose wheel steering linkage

Mark89114

Bear with me on my descriptions and dimensions, on the road and don’t have access to details.

Summary is, airplane in for annual and a lot of slop was found in linkage that resides in nose gear well that drives nose wheel steering.   Decided to replace worn parts as needed, despite no issues.  This linkage pictured is attached to right side of nose gear well underneath a tiny little access panel.  The bushing internal to this part had cracked and was broken.  Ordered new part from LASAR and the OD is 3/8” and the original was 1/4” (dimensions are TBD) but summary is the new bushing is bigger.  Original plan was to get new bushing, under assumption it was same OD and just manufacture the new brass bushing as Mooney doesn’t sell the brass part pictured.  We(mechanic and myself) assumed they superseded part with larger bushing.  However, before we start reaming holes larger need to verify proper course of action.  My machinist removed the brass bushings and the ID is 1/4”, so the new oversized bushing fits perfectly.  The question is, what is the proper repair procedure for the pivot that is welded into cage of airframe?  

Trying to get this repaired over weekend, but will wait till Monday to contact experts. 

Thank you,

Mark

4386B102-6592-4A8B-A22E-C8852F86EDF5.jpeg

It’s the nose steering idler, it is attached to the right side of the nose wheel well.  I can’t see how removing the brass bushing would improve the wear characteristics.  A call to Lasar or Mooney is in order.

Clarence

9D6251DB-8A08-4478-AA84-76ED5359E622.jpeg

5ED10D1D-A3A9-46F6-A2A2-ABD1323353DC.jpeg

I think OP is talking about item 10 in figure 1.  On the old Mooney’s this was a bolt.  On new it is a welded stud.  I know that the LASAR retrofit kit replaces it.  I installed that kit a few years ago and happy with it so far.  Not sure how it is replaced without the entire retrofit kit.

I apologized in advance for my poor verbal description!!!

In figure 1, it is Part 33.  The bushing isn’t even labeled under this diagram, it is about 1.5” long, which doesn’t look like the diagram.  LASAR said this was the correct part, except for the OD getting bigger, which is where the mystery comes from, the screw as shown in diagram is now a std bolt, which means it doesn’t fit into the nicely machined countersink on the airframe.  The original bushing in there had cracked in half and the bronze part was out of round leading to sloppy fit.  Somewhere along the line something has changed and we are not aware of how to proceed.  I will update everybody Monday if I get to this.....