New Guy in Santa Barbara

Hello everyone,

As the title implies, I'm brand new to MS and will be looking to find an M20F (unless I pull the trigger on a J) within the next year or so.  Eventually, I'll be permanently based out of Santa Barbara.  I fly active duty for the Navy and have done the mil comp commercial and CFII, and I did my ATP about 6 months ago.  I've been watching massive chunks of my life disappear recently to the depths of MS... thanks to everyone that contributes to this impressive website!

I have a couple friends that own F's, both are in the Navy as well, and I have broken their will to live with my constant questioning. And so begins my onslaught of questions on MS :) 

I've been looking into options at Santa Barbara as far as hangar space or covered parking (I don't know if there is any besides a hangar) or simply a tie down.  The city owns 24 T-hangars that it rents out to the tune of $821/month + utilities. Currently there aren't any T-hangars or tie downs available according to the city's website.

1) Is anyone based at SBA, or have up-to-date knowledge of the general aviation life there?

2) Does anyone know of a well looked after F or J that could be on the market in the next year?

3) What events are there in the central CA area where I could meet local Mooney owners as I begin this journey?

Thanks for any info and thanks again for all the time taken to contribute to MS!

Loner

• Thanks 1

Welcome Loner, thank you for your service to our fine country. You might check into the fly in at Camarillo next weekend as there should be a few of the western Mooney group attending. There is a thread on the event in misc. aviation subject line. Good luck on your search.

oops it's in the general Mooney subject line.

• Like 2

WELCOME to MS!  Glad to have you along!

SBA may be an issue for hangars as I assume there is a massive waiting list for hangars there. Get on it right now even if you don't have an airplane. You'll be one year down the road when you get a plane.  

Look at the other airports around the area (Ventura), you  may find out you'll have to drive some to get a hangar. Most do not recommend outside tie down on Mooneys especially near the ocean. But you should know all about salt spray and airplanes being from the Navy, right:-)

Go to Camarillo next weekend. You'll have a good time. 

Read the book- "How to Buy a Used Aircraft Without Taking a Dive by E. Unterman   You'll be glad you read it when you start looking for real. Guaranteed!  Out of print but findable if you look around. 

12 hours ago, bonal said:

Welcome Loner, thank you for your service to our fine country. You might check into the fly in at Camarillo next weekend as there should be a few of the western Mooney group attending. There is a thread on the event in misc. aviation subject line. Good luck on your search.

oops it's in the general Mooney subject line.

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Yes, come to Camarillo for the fly in, should be quite a few of us there. 

Also, thank you for your service and welcome to MS. 

5 hours ago, cliffy said:

WELCOME to MS!  Glad to have you along!

SBA may be an issue for hangars as I assume there is a massive waiting list for hangars there. Get on it right now even if you don't have an airplane. You'll be one year down the road when you get a plane.  

Look at the other airports around the area (Ventura), you  may find out you'll have to drive some to get a hangar. Most do not recommend outside tie down on Mooneys especially near the ocean. But you should know all about salt spray and airplanes being from the Navy, right:-)

Go to Camarillo next weekend. You'll have a good time. 

Read the book- "How to Buy a Used Aircraft Without Taking a Dive by E. Unterman   You'll be glad you read it when you start looking for real. Guaranteed!  Out of print but findable if you look around. 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  I'd love to come to the Camarillo show but I've got another several months of deployment ahead.  I've joined the West Coast Mooney Club though (didn't know about that one so thank you Bonal!).

Cliffy, I also grabbed that book off eBay so it'll be waiting for me when I get home. I can already see the eye roll from the wifey when she finds ANOTHER book I've ordered at the front door. :D

10 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Greetings SBA and welcome!

I realize it may be a stretch for you drive/time wise, but ourvT hangars at SMX are $234 p/mo.

If I hear of an F or J up for sale, I’ll let you know.

Thanks MooneyMitch! I'll keep SMX in mind. I drive right by there going between Santa Barbara and my base in the central valley so I'll stop and take a look this fall.

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Loner!

At MS, you’re never alone. Even late at night...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks Carusoam! My sleep schedule on the ship has moved significantly to the right because of this! ;)

• Like 2

Thanks Carusoam! My sleep schedule on the ship has moved significantly to the right because of this!

Feel free to reach out to me on the West Coast Mooney Club Group Facebook Page. Next Saturday many of us will be at the Camarillo airshow. Stop by and say hi.

PM me and I’ll get back in touch.

Michael Rodgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk