Introducing Myself

GeeBee

15 hours ago, Amelia said:

Just fwiw, I want you all to know, Amelia doesn't sleep while flying, even when somebody else has the controls. She also doesn’t snore... :D

What a beautiful airplane! 

Amelia c Reid,founded flight school at RHV ,passed away mar 3 2001.In 1997 ,when I flew with her ,she was very nappy,and made enough noise to be heard above aircraft ambient 

• Like 1

She did look like "Broomhilda" even had a mole on her hook nose. She used to roll out to the runway with her students in the back of one of her many E-2 Taylorcrafts with her compact out powdering her face with door open and the prop blast going! She had a stock C-150 Aerobat and she took the word "Aerobat" seriously. She would do airshows with it and I did not know a C-150 could do those things, aerobatic version or not. If she was down on you she could cut you down to size and chop you up faster than Benihana! If you learned to fly from her, consider yourself truly fortunate.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

She did look like "Broomhilda" even had a mole on her hook nose. She used to roll out to the runway with her students in the back of one of her many E-2 Taylorcrafts with her compact out powdering her face with door open and the prop blast going! She had a stock C-150 Aerobat and she took the word "Aerobat" seriously. She would do airshows with it and I did not know a C-150 could do those things, aerobatic version or not. If she was down on you she could cut you down to size and chop you up faster than Benihana! If you learned to fly from her, consider yourself truly fortunate.

Where did the "broom" in "Broomhilda" come from?

26 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Where did the "broom" in "Broomhilda" come from?

Bugs Bunny.  

The actual Germanic name is "Brunhild" or Brunhilde, a mythic germanic female warrior.  In the Bugs Bunny cartoon they changed it to Broomhilda, and then there was the comic strip by that name.

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Bugs Bunny.  

The actual Germanic name is "Brunhild" or Brunhilde, a mythic germanic female warrior.  In the Bugs Bunny cartoon they changed it to Broomhilda, and then there was the comic strip by that name.

IMG_2146.JPG

Oh that's right!  I forgot about the Bugs Bunny version!  I couldn't remember anything about a mole and hook nose from the Niebelungenlied :D

She sounded like a huge character who added a lot to aviation and the people around her.  We need more people like her

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 3:36 PM, GeeBee said:

I have been a "lurker" here for about the last 6 months as I considered a Mooney purchase. I want to thank Mooneyspace.com for their generous and open door policy of allowing people to look in on subjects posted. It has been of great benefit in my airplane search.

I am proud to say I am the new owner of N192JK, a 2005 Ovation as of 2023 UTC yesterday. She is currently located at Don Maxwell's shop undergoing a pre-sale, now an annual and a WAAS upgrade. Thanks to this forum I was able to select Don Maxwell as my preferred place to perform the pre-buy and I have had the honor to meet both Don and Paul who are real gentlemen and have been most helpful. I will be basing out of KGVL as I live on Lake Lanier

My previous airplane was a PA18-160 Super Cub rebuilt by Cub Crafters. It was probably one of the few IFR certified Cubs around and had an Aspen 1000, Garmin 420W and a Lynx ADS-B unit. I loved the airplane but my mission has changed to a need for reliable and fast transport up and down the Eastern seaboard. In my search I needed good avionics and TKS. I wanted to avoid turbo charging, preferring horsepower and displacement. I don't really want to be sucking on a tube all that much in search of performance. It came down to an early to mid 90's Bonanza or a 2000 something Mooney. Since my wife and I are not tall people and it is usually just the two of us I concluded the Mooney was the best airplane for the buck and (shhhh), it will blow the doors off a Bonanza. I have flown a lot of Beech products, even worked for a Beech dealer and I love their airplanes but if you have to write the checks........

A little about my aviation self. I am coming up on my 50th year since solo at KRHV. I have about 29,000 hours. About 8000 in GA aircraft of all kinds from C-150's too biz jets. I have been a CFI-I, a Chief Instructor with examining authority, a Line Check Airman and a Part 135 Chief Pilot. I recently retired off the Airbus A330 after a near 40 year career. Aviation has been my life and passion all my life and being a pilot is the only thing I have ever wanted to be since early childhood. This Mooney will most likely be my last airplane and I hope it will be the best! 

I look forward to learning from you fine folks here. You all have been very helpful in getting me to this point in my "Mooney experience"!

GeeBee, Great to say a former pro in the forum. I am also a new owner having purchased a 1980 Mooney M20J a couple of months ago. I retired from the airlines off a B767 after 26 years of professional flying and went 7 years without climbing in a cockpit. My wife and I started a new business and that took all our time for a while. Now I am having the time of my life. When our business does much better I will enjoy an Ovation but for now the J-model is pretty awesome. I was also helped by this group as they recommended Phil Jimenez in Avon Park, FL to do my pre-buy and annual. That was a great recommendation which I greatly appreciate.