N954N at Oshkosh - 2019 Lindy Award

I and N954N were at Oshkosh 2019.  N954N was awarded a Lindy Award - Best Class II Single Engine (161 - 230 HP).
Trying to hold up the Vintage Mooney tradition.
John Breda

602502167_N954NatMAPA-2017.thumb.jpeg.c60ef59ef5ef205af9c1651121e40e70.jpeg
Lindy Award Docs - 2019.pdf
Congrats John! I know how much work you put into that airplane! Well deserved...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I agree...and we should give a shout-out to our mutual IA/mechanic consultant, Mr. Brian Kendrick, for helping maintain our respective birds.

Congrats John!

Steve

Already did.

John Breda

The few things that stand out about your bird that I really think makes it pop (trust me I love it all) are the way you handle the intake for the turbo, built in O2, and landing lights in the wings.

Of course your speed mods, interior, rounded windows, panel and paint are wonderful but it is some of these types of details that pull it together.

1.  Do you have better pictures of the intake for the turbo?  (If you remember you sold me some of my RAYJAY stuff.  Someday when I get around to paint I would like to do something similar.  The below picture is before my oil cooler relocation which has already been done.)     

2.  Adding the landing lights in the wing was field approval?

IMG_2503.jpg

30 minutes ago, wcb said:

The few things that stand out about your bird that I really think makes it pop (trust me I love it all) are the way you handle the intake for the turbo, built in O2, and landing lights in the wings.

Of course your speed mods, interior, rounded windows, panel and paint are wonderful but it is some of these types of details that pull it together.

1.  Do you have better pictures of the intake for the turbo?  (If you remember you sold me some of my RAYJAY stuff.  Someday when I get around to paint I would like to do something similar.  The below picture is before my oil cooler relocation which has already been done.)     

2.  Adding the landing lights in the wing was field approval?

IMG_2503.jpg

There is an intercooler behind the air intake with a fiberglass plenum and rubber seal.  

The outlet fins are metal and fiberglassed into the cowling on each side.

The landing lights in the wings were done with DER approval.

4 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

There is an intercooler behind the air intake with a fiberglass plenum and rubber seal.  

The outlet fins are metal and fiberglassed into the cowling on each side.

The landing lights in the wings were done with DER approval.

Maybe my MSC can figure that out.  Without close up pictures I am still unclear.  I always thought the ovation triangle would be a cool intake upgrade.  My outlet shark fins are basically the same as yours which are fine.

IMG_2660.thumb.jpg.9a3ace4732292a8960bc580f28f25cc2.jpg1494271428_IMG_25032.jpg.116edeb2c36d366ff2fbf820e4ef2d3a.jpg

It looks nice.

Do the fuel injected Lycoming's  have same High CHT's on climb out as some of the  carburetored  "C" Models do  ?

How are CHT's on climb out with the side louvers ? 

Mine tends to be  Cylinders #2 &#4 (Left side) are usually the hottest on climb out.

I had spare Mooney  left side cowl and spare left side engine   louver from either  C-182/C-210/C-206.   That I was considering installing in the side spare cowl to see if that increase the exit air flow to lower the CHT's  temps on climb out. Haven't gotten around to that project yet.

James '67C

10 hours ago, jamesm said:

It looks nice.

Do the fuel injected Lycoming's  have same High CHT's on climb out as some of the  carburetored  "C" Models do  ?

How are CHT's on climb out with the side louvers ? 

Mine tends to be  Cylinders #2 &#4 (Left side) are usually the hottest on climb out.

I had spare Mooney  left side cowl and spare left side engine   louver from either  C-182/C-210/C-206.   That I was considering installing in the side spare cowl to see if that increase the exit air flow to lower the CHT's  temps on climb out. Haven't gotten around to that project yet.

James '67C

The side louvers are for the after market turbo's.  (specifically for mine the RAYJAY turbo)  I can only speak for me but I have never really had a CHT problem as with some others.

Expect adding fins to the side cowl to not add anything better than the dog house already supplies...

To improve cooling of cylinders requires improving the amount of air being guided into and out of the cooling fins...

The square doghouse is generally crummy at guiding air from the top to the bottom of the cowl...

Picture the air entering the top of the cowl... turning 90° down, through the fins... turning Dow another 90° again to exit out the back of the cowl....

high pressure at the top... drives the air towards low pressure at the bottom... add vents might even change the amount of pressure at the top or bottom...

This is pretty much the reason to have STCs... they document proven solutions,   They might be accidental improvements for some things... but they are technically documented to make faithful copies....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

So what I have been told  that ideally you want the exit  air  outlet opening larger than the opening air inlet. If my measurement are correct even with the Lasar cowl encloser  area is maybe  1" more  at the bottom cowl flaps which is a high pressure area  and not mention a hotter air as well . 

There has been the paper floating around about how bad the mid 60's Mooney's guppy mouth  design  has so much drag it spilling out front of the  cowl and identifying the problem  other   than Lasar  (helps a little better than original  design) and saber cowl and few others no body seems to be interested in resolving this problem.

This be better explained  by the video starting in about 40 sec mark.