C model Battery Box

Wait a minute...

You know a few things...

1) battery acid and aluminum don’t go together... make sure that mess gets cleaned up!

2) Sealed batteries really make sense for a few reasons... that is one of them.

3) A new battery box for that price is perfect for a gold encrusted forever plane...

4) for planes encrusted in something other than gold.... see @Alan Fox... he recently acquired an M20C battery box you may be interested in...

5) Technically, with a sealed battery, the existing box can be cleaned up to support the new battery... newer Mooneys don’t even have a box...  they are designed to be vented overboard... sans box...

Great pic! Get to washing... get sealed battery...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BrettKS said:

Yes, I was quoted $1500 to get one from Mooney.

IMG_1511_01.jpg

Okay, yeah, that one's pretty bad.  It is repairable, but you'll need a guy who is at least decent at sheet metal and is willing to sign it off.  Would still be a lot cheaper than buying even a used one.

What does your local A&P say?

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Okay, yeah, that one's pretty bad.  It is repairable, but you'll need a guy who is at least decent at sheet metal and is willing to sign it off.  Would still be a lot cheaper than buying even a used one.

What does your local A&P say?

Local A&P is not so flexible. Not willing to have it fixed, not willing to use the -501 part available here: https://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_view.php?editid1=207374

Hoping I get lucky with someone on Mooney space

You might contact Paul Loewen his number can be found on the Mooney Flyer. But a hate to say it since you posted the very expensive factory price it will make it hard to get a sweet deal. Good luck that thing is a mess I hope the corrosion did not spread beyond the box.

15 minutes ago, BrettKS said:

Local A&P is not so flexible. Not willing to have it fixed, not willing to use the -501 part available here: https://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_view.php?editid1=207374

Hoping I get lucky with someone on Mooney space

The 800020-501 is for an E, which is mounted in the avionics bay behind the rear luggage bulkhead, it bolts up differently than the C which is on the firewall. got to keep the one who signs happy, but Alan should be able to hook you up

Here's an idea-

I am currently moving my battery to the rear behind the baggage area and I have my "old" battery box that is in pretty good shape just sitting under the bench right now. I was wondering what to do with it.  I think it may have one very small hole in it but I need to go to the airport and look at it again. 

Maybe we can make a deal here?  :-) :-)  It is out of my 64 D model mounted of course just behind the left cylinders in the firewall area. PM me or make a note right here if you want to talk about it. 

6 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Here's an idea-

I am currently moving my battery to the rear behind the baggage area and I have my "old" battery box that is in pretty good shape just sitting under the bench right now. I was wondering what to do with it.  I think it may have one very small hole in it but I need to go to the airport and look at it again. 

Maybe we can make a deal here?  :-) :-)  It is out of my 64 D model mounted of course just behind the left cylinders in the firewall area. PM me or make a note right here if you want to talk about it. 

Not to hijack the thread (perhaps you could start another?)- - - I’d really like to see whats involved with moving the battery aft- we have the same plane.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

Gentleman , Respectfully ,  I don't post that I have the same parts , on your for sale posts …   Perhaps I should change my policy ??????   (PS , I have a lot more parts than you do ) …. Thanks in advance,,,,,

@Alan Fox : Are you certain you have the right thread? I've gotten threads crossed up in the past and replied to the wrong one as well.

This one appears to be a post from a member looking for help... and other members trying to help get him back in the air.  

5 minutes ago, David_H said:

@Alan Fox : Are you certain you have the right thread? I've gotten threads crossed up in the past and replied to the wrong one as well.

This one appears to be a post from a member looking for help... and other members trying to help get him back in the air.  

I am an idiot , Please accept my apologies...…  Regards Alan.... AKA the Reaper

Also....

Look for the battery box paint... special acid proof paint that helps keep acid and aluminum separate from each other...

Anyone with a battery box should be aware of this coating... use it as a protective measure...

My 65C’s battery box got slathered in acid proof paint... for some reason...

PP ideas, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Although mine wasn't that bad it resembled swiss cheese over the whole bottom. After getting a quote for a new replacement I talked to LASAR and bought a new bottom for less than a third of a new box, I removed the old bottom and riveted on the new one and gave it a good coating of battery box paint, it should last for the life of the plane.

• Like 2

Let me guess you had Gill G35 or unsealed  battery. boy does that acid spread quick.  Had used Gill unsealed G-35 batteries for many  years until last one . The one I had wasn't that bad but it came on quick and ate the  battery box bottom.

I switched to Concorde Battery no more messing with battery hydrometer every year all other things that come with  having unsealed  batteries.

I have battery Box for Mid 60's if you still need one. 

James '67C

Edited by jamesm