Landing and parking fees at Toronto City Centre Airport

Last week I flew into City Centre Airport (Billy Bishop Airport) on Toronto Island (its third name) and when I came to depart later that day, I was faced with a $96.00 (albeit Canadian) landing and parking fee (fine?).  

Most of us on Mooneyspace are not from around here (Eastern Canada) so this note is to y'all that may wish to land at our version of Meigs Field.  It will be expensive and buying gas does not diminish what they charge you.

Thought you should know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last week I flew into City Centre Airport (Billy Bishop Airport) on Toronto Island (its third name) and when I came to depart later that day, I was faced with a $96.00 (albeit Canadian) landing and parking fee (fine?).  
Most of us on Mooneyspace are not from around here (Eastern Canada) so this note is to y'all that may wish to land at our version of Meigs Field.  It will be expensive and buying gas does not diminish what they charge you.
Thought you should know.

Always call ahead. Billy Bishop can’t be beat for convenience and I can see with the limited space why they have to charge. It’s a bargain compared to say LGA...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Thought you should know.

Ned, which FBO did you use? I have read somewhere that one is less expensive than the other.

Yves

I agree that YTZ is pretty expensive which is unfortunate because it's in such a great location. However, if your destination is downtown Toronto and instead you fly into Buttonville or Oshawa, then cab in and out of the city, it may be a wash. And then there is your time. Or if you want to get a real eye watering bill, try flying into YYZ.

11 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Thought you should know.

Im planning to go to Billy B in about two weeks with my boys for baseball - Blue Jays are walking distance from the airfield.  So fuel doesn't mitigate fees at all.  So there is no reason to buy fuel?  If I am Taking that facilities hit anyway.

10 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Im planning to go to Billy B in about two weeks with my boys for baseball - Blue Jays are walking distance from the airfield.  So fuel doesn't mitigate fees at all.  So there is no reason to buy fuel?  If I am Taking that facilities hit anyway.

@aviatoreb Let me know when you are coming, I'm a YYZ terminal controller (with a B.Sc. in math), if I'm working that day I'll try to get in the right sector at the right time so that I can say hello.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ohdub said:

@aviatoreb Let me know when you are coming, I'm a YYZ terminal controller (with a B.Sc. in math), if I'm working that day I'll try to get in the right sector at the right time so that I can say hello.

OMG - no kidding!  Maybe I have talked to you before?  Since I often pass right past Toronto on my way west- I may well also go to Michigan in Sept as well. I have been over Toronto 3 times so far this year.

I SURE will try to coordinate, for a bit of routing for a hello!

A math major no less!  How did you get in to air traffic controller'ing?

14 hours ago, ohdub said:

I agree that YTZ is pretty expensive which is unfortunate because it's in such a great location. However, if your destination is downtown Toronto and instead you fly into Buttonville or Oshawa, then cab in and out of the city, it may be a wash. And then there is your time. Or if you want to get a real eye watering bill, try flying into YYZ.

Buttonville has fees, even for just dropping off a passenger.  Also, with road construction season open, a cab to downtown Toronto (and back) would be expensive and very very  tedious.  Being a CB I hate to say it, but overall, paying the Toronto Island fees saves time, aggravation and $$.  I'd use Stolport FBO.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hey folks,

Starting to think  about my anniversary in Sep, Europe is right out due to COVID so I'm thinking Toronto.  Sold by this thread on CYTZ but...

I have never ever flown my Mooney out of the old USA.  Can someone walk me through what has to be done to get there, and what has to be done to reenter the US?  I saw somewhere a mention of a DHS or TSA sticker?  Will US customs come to a non controlled airport on the return (for me I68 in OH, between Dayton and CVG)

THX in advance.

6 minutes ago, PJClark said:

Will US customs come to a non controlled airport on the return (for me I68 in OH, between Dayton and CVG)

Doubtful, but they may send local law enforcement to detain you.  :)

Years ago, after I departed CYTZ I arranged to clear immigration & customs at Rochester NY on the way back to KMMU (Morristown NJ).

Hey folks,

Starting to think  about my anniversary in Sep, Europe is right out due to COVID so I'm thinking Toronto.  Sold by this thread on CYTZ but...

I have never ever flown my Mooney out of the old USA.  Can someone walk me through what has to be done to get there, and what has to be done to reenter the US?  I saw somewhere a mention of a DHS or TSA sticker?  Will US customs come to a non controlled airport on the return (for me I68 in OH, between Dayton and CVG)

THX in advance.

Here is all the info. I wouldn’t expect the border to be open for non essential travel however any time soon.

https://www.aopa.org/travel/international-travel/canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@PJClark as someone else mentioned, I doubt that Canada will have the border with the US open to non-essential travel by September. But whenever you are able to come visit, send me a message ahead of time, if I'm at work I'll be sure to give you first class service through the terminal area.

As for the border crossings, they aren't a big deal, I've done it many times. I've often cleared US Customs in Dayton, sounds like that would be convenient for you. If you have any questions about the border crossing procedures just send me a message and I'd be happy to help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1