Fill this hole with what?

Old nav light hole replaced years ago by new nav and strobe. They didn’t bother filling hole after installing new one. So, in all seriousness, besides a go-pro camera mount (probably not) what can I put here? Suggestions? aeec5d69e30bd8924bf83c5aead0b4bc.jpg31743b8829df32abfcc259f498c3a46b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres a few ways to do that, but if you really want it clean, a flush patch.

1.    1...   Remove pop rivets. Remove nut plates.   Dimple skin to a -3 preferrable, or a -4, and fill with cherry flush rivet.

2.     2...   Same process, with a -4 or a -5 pull rivet.  Youre just trying to fill the hole with metal here.

3.    3.   Make a flush patch for the large hole. Make a circular patch, from 2024 .025” aluminum,  3/8” larger in diameter than the hole. Cut a slot from edge to center, to allow you to spiral it into the hole.  Put a #40 hole midway between center and OD. Put a cleco in this  hole, so you can grip and maneuver the patch. Drill and dimple the patch to match wingtip rib skin with a #40 bit.  Cleco  into place. Now fill the hole with a patch the same diameter (and thickness) as the hole. Put three #40 holes in a circular pattern,  ~3/16 from edge of filler patch. Stay 3/16” away from the slit you cut earlier.  Now disassemble, remove the backer patch, deburr and dimple all holes. Then reassemble, cleco together, and fasten them all together with -3 cherry flush pull rivets. If you do it well, it gets very flat. . Some epoxy and micro filler  it will disappear.

o      Obey the AC43.13 rivet spacing and edge distance guidance.

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0680.jpeg

IMG_0681.jpeg

• Like 4

Theres a few ways to do that, but if you really want it clean, a flush patch.
1.    1...   Remove pop rivets. Remove nut plates.   Dimple skin to a -3 preferrable, or a -4, and fill with cherry flush rivet.

2.     2...   Same process, with a -4 or a -5 pull rivet.  Youre just trying to fill the hole with metal here.

3.    3.   Make a flush patch for the large hole. Make a circular patch, from 2024 .025” aluminum,  3/8” larger in diameter than the hole. Cut a slot from edge to center, to allow you to spiral it into the hole.  Put a #40 hole midway between center and OD. Put a cleco in this  hole, so you can grip and maneuver the patch. Drill and dimple the patch to match wingtip rib skin with a #40 bit.  Cleco  into place. Now fill the hole with a patch the same diameter (and thickness) as the hole. Put three #40 holes in a circular pattern,  ~3/16 from edge of filler patch. Stay 3/16” away from the slit you cut earlier.  Now disassemble, remove the backer patch, deburr and dimple all holes. Then reassemble, cleco together, and fasten them all together with -3 cherry flush pull rivets. If you do it well, it gets very flat. . Some epoxy and micro filler  it will disappear.

o      Obey the AC43.13 rivet spacing and edge distance guidance.

IMG_0678.thumb.jpg.7ca32daee484e004eb705f69556f3f2d.jpg
IMG_0679.thumb.jpg.f827cd3a025baf9b02a886fcf2995542.jpg
IMG_0680.thumb.jpeg.8b8708ace3525161bc104fe660ebaa72.jpeg
IMG_0681.thumb.jpeg.6b68ed5af7663f444b352ee79042bb65.jpeg

Wow, JetDriven, that was very nice of you to so thoughtfully drawn that out! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BigD said:

Wow, JetDriven, that was very nice of you to so thoughtfully drawn that out! Thanks!

Even better, go to AC 43.13-1B P 4-32, Fig. 4-16 (b).   Patch "K".     I've made Patch "H" a couple of times, and "K" is simpler and smaller.    Might be tough getting a bucking bar in there, though.   I think I'd get more creative and put a camera mount or something else useful in there.    Whatever it is, though, shouldn't interfere with the rear viewing angle of the strobe.

Def plug the holes to keep the critters out, though.

LAU-57/58 missile rail! It’ll mount right up!

New Aveo wingtips! 

Flush patch per Byron, scab patch with pk screws, Aluminum tape, reflective vinyl sticker, monokote tape, 400mph duct tape, or clear shipping tape for inspection purposes. 

:-)

-Matt

25 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Remove the light, drill out old nut plates, cut out a piece of 020 the exact size of the wingtip. Buck 6-8 flush rivets around the edges and replace the light. The sheet metal will be purely decorative, but I bet nobody would notice it was not factory.

Smart! ;-)

-Matt

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Remove the light, drill out old nut plates, cut out a piece of 020 the exact size of the wingtip. Buck 6-8 flush rivets around the edges and replace the light. The sheet metal will be purely decorative, but I bet nobody would notice it was not factory.

If it's a decorative coating it's Preventive Maintenance and can be done by the owner.  ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Scab patches look so awful on these planes.