New Avionics Install

I asked an avionics shop for an estimate to install a G3X and the GFC 500, they came back with the below requirements.

can you all fill me in on all this so I’m not to clueless when I go speak to them. I read as much as I can, but still fuzzy about it all.

Garmin GX3 10 inch portrait Display 
LRU Kit
Install Kit
GAD 29B
GAD Install Kit 
GMU 507 
GFC 500 Info Kit
Servo Install Kit
Garmin G5 AI 
(3) Servos 

2 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

I asked an avionics shop for an estimate to install a G3X and the GFC 500, they came back with the below requirements.

can you all fill me in on all this so I’m not to clueless when I go speak to them. I read as much as I can, but still fuzzy about it all.

Garmin GX3 10 inch portrait Display 
LRU Kit
Install Kit
GAD 29B
GAD Install Kit 
GMU 507 
GFC 500 Info Kit
Servo Install Kit
Garmin G5 AI 
(3) Servos 

That looks right to me.  The first 3 items are required for the G3X.  The other items are required for the GFC 500 installation.  I don't have the G3X, but I do have the GFC 500 and it required all the named parts, however, those could have been detailed even more than indicated.  I've attached the interface of the GFC 500 and G500 TXi.  Replace the TXI interface with the G3X and you have your setup.

G500 TXi GFC 500 Interface.png

Since half the part are needed for the G3X and the other half for for the GFC 500, aren’t they part of each package? If so, should they be included in the price of the main item that requires them for the install, or is each one priced separately? Overall price for this was approx 37K, sound right?

• Haha 1

The stc dictates what parts are necessary on a certified install. Even the TXI that is normally advertised at a single 16k comes as two separate parts (display and LRU) when the dealer orders them. 

The 29(b) is not necessary needed but without it the g5 and g3x will be unable to interface with the Garmin gps/nav/com units.  This is advantageous for installs upgrading from a g5/gad because no unnecessary parts are shipped. 

As for price I think Garmin has around a 25 ish percent spread between dealer cost and prices listed on line. Some shops split that with the customer some charge them full retail. Labor rates and predicted hours are all over the place so I can’t commit on that. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you.

Is a G5 still necessary on top even though the G3X controls the servos?

My Century 21 only relies on ONE Attitude indicator.

And ... where can I find the STC for a M20K?

When it comes to certified installations all seems to be top-secret - no matter which manufactruer we are talkong about.

G5, or other standby instrument, is required for IFR flight. An installation can be certified as VFR only and a standby instrument is not required. On the plus side, with a G5 you can still operate the GFC 500 even if the G3X fails.

I found all the manuals on the Garmin web page. Not sure of the install manual, someone on this site said it was for Garmin installers only.

The 7” G3 display is also an option.  It’s cheaper, saves space and looks good as a pfd.  If you want to use an iPad for all the mfd type stuff, 7” pfd might be just fine.

You mean G3X, the G3 is a marine handheld navigator.

Above is my plan, any technology improvements are with mfd functionality anyway, it will come to iPad years sooner than panel mounts.

Tom
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

G5, or other standby instrument, is required for IFR flight. An installation can be certified as VFR only and a standby instrument is not required. On the plus side, with a G5 you can still operate the GFC 500 even if the G3X fails.

I found all the manuals on the Garmin web page. Not sure of the install manual, someone on this site said it was for Garmin installers only.

Okay, so this implies that it not necessary Needs to be a G5 (which would make sense), but can also be an electric AI from the old avionics.

All the Manuals I found on the Website are about the experimental Versions. Also  the Hardware you can get over the Counter seems to be always experimental.

I am interested in the exact STCs and to learn about the differences.

From Aspen I learnt that  in a certified Installation, the Feature to Switch on and off Speed tape and/or Alt-Tape is blocked and also the markings for different Speeds Need to be locked against changing by a user/Pilot.

If this is the only difference then it is okay.