New guy

Hey everyone, 

First off let me say, thanks for all of the information here.  It's truly a huge wealth of knowledge.  

Anyway, I've been looking into eventually buying my first aircraft and am strongly considering a m20c, e, or f. Problem is I've never flown or even sat in a mooney.  From what I read it seems like the aircraft that will fill my mission, but being 6'3" Idk how it would be and I'm just trying to figure out if the expense and logistics of owning a plane is an option for me right now.

A little about me:  I'm 34 y/o CFI living in NJ, and have a degree in aeronautics.   After college I flew for XJT on the emb-145,  got furloughed, did a temporary career change working with my father, got called back, then left in 2011 to work with my father full time. Since then I've been flying here and there in and out of currency.  Recently I've been getting the ich to fly constantly and to fly places which renting isnt really an option.  Which is what brings me here.

I'm in no rush to buy and just really starting my search to be sure I make the right decision in a purchase like this.  If anyone around the rt 78, rt 80 corridor in NJ, wants a companion on a flight or just wants to meet up at an airport to BS, I'd be excited to (I'll even throw in a complimentary BFR if u want/need/meet the requirements ect.)

Once again, thanks for all the info on here and happy flying

Mike.

Hi Mike, One thing that Mooneys are really good at is - tall pilots.  Al Mooney himself was 6'5'' and they say that he built himself an airplane.  You sit low in the plane with feet out in front of you almost straight like in a slow slung sports car.  I am 6'4'' and even have relatively long legs for my height and I picked Mooney in large part because it was comfortable (plus other factors) and the others in the comparison group about 12 years ago were Beech Bonanza, Cirrus, P210 and I was moving up from a Diamond Da40.  Best leg room of the bunch.  Also, less tall pilots often need pedal extenders.  From the time of the M20C up through the latest M20V today, the pilot seats have remained identically configured relative to the yoke and pedals, and the lengthening happened entirely behind the pilots position.

Which airport do you operate out of in NJ?

E

• Like 2

As a 6 foot owner with long legs of a C model, I’ll say that you should have leg room as long as you don’t mind running seat back into rear pax legs a bit on A-E modes. You’ll get 10 more inches of cabin space with F-J. I think the size of the Mooney is pretty misleading. If you do research and look at numbers it a surprisingly large cabin when comparing with other singles.
Here are some numbers:

Cessna 150 is the tightest with 38 inches/96 cm.

Cessna 172 and 152 according to Cessna’s website is 40 inches / 102 cm wide.

Grumman AA5 is 41 inches / 104 cm wide.

Cessna 182, PA28 and Bonanzas have 42 inch/107 cm cabin widths

Cessna 206/210 has 43 inches/109 cm

Mooney cabin is 43.5 inches/110 cm wide.

Here are some more numbers to include height and bonanza:

Aircraft Cabin Width Cabin Height
Mooney 201 43.5″ 44.5″
Beechcraft V35 Bonanza 42.0″ 50.0″
Cessna 182 42.0″ 48.0″
Piper Arrow 41.0″ 45.0″

Add this with a roomy baggage compartment with load from above baggage door, and fuel efficiency coupled with speed, just can’t lose. One of the things about Mooney is the single cabin door. It makes the plane less accessible than a two door Cessna, loading and unloading pax is a bit more, shall we say, controlled.

From a happy Mooney owner, who flies regularly with a family of four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Mike. It’s always nice to meet another soul who has experienced some of the “adventures” that a career in aviation will often deliver.

You’ll find a lot of info here. I’m fairly new to the board and bought a fixer upper M20D that is almost ready to fly. I’m only 6’0, long legged though...and I cannot believe how much leg room there is in my aircraft (provided you are in a front seat).

I’m a newbie here, but some of these guys have been flying Mooneys and contributing since before the internet began. 

Pilots have been looking down on people since 1903.   I have been looking down on people since Jr. High school.  6' 9"   you will fit fine.   It is quite roomy.   Egress and ingress are shall we say "entertaining"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Hi Mike, One thing that Mooneys are really good at is - tall pilots.  Al Mooney himself was 6'5'' and they say that he built himself an airplane.  You sit low in the plane with feet out in front of you almost straight like in a slow slung sports car.  I am 6'4'' and even have relatively long legs for my height and I picked Mooney in large part because it was comfortable (plus other factors) and the others in the comparison group about 12 years ago were Beech Bonanza, Cirrus, P210 and I was moving up from a Diamond Da40.  Best leg room of the bunch.  Also, less tall pilots often need pedal extenders.  From the time of the M20C up through the latest M20V today, the pilot seats have remained identically configured relative to the yoke and pedals, and the lengthening happened entirely behind the pilots position.

Which airport do you operate out of in NJ?

E

I really don't have a home airport.  I've done most of my flying out of n07 and am airing on KSMQ for a base if I move forward and buy a plane.  Thanks for the height info guys, that's what I'm most nervous about.  Right now my daughter is 2 years old and am also concerned about the future with her in the back and room.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpressJetter said:

Thanks for the height info guys, that's what I'm most nervous about.  Right now my daughter is 2 years old and am also concerned about the future with her in the back and room.

You should be good for a decade or more if she's only two. The problem is short-term, as toys are very large at this stage but will soon shrink. Back seat legroom won't be an issue until she's in high school or later, unless she grows tall like her father.

• Like 1

FWIW I'm 5'8" and I can only comfortably reach the pedals when the seat's all the way forwards, which makes it hard to read my yoke-mounted tablet until I get new damn glasses.  I have the seat back 1 notch, but reaching the pedals takes a stretch.  You should be ok :) 

I have a good 6-8" of headroom, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Mooney seats are down lower to compensate for the lower ceiling.  Once you're in, there's plenty of room, but as noted above, ingress/egress is less convenient and slower than in some other aircraft.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Mike...

See if you can find the NJMPs...

We got our M20C when my daughter was born... the M20R, a decade later...

Sitting height is the important measurement...  but if the Yetti can fit, you can skip this step and focus on the other important things...

seems to be a shortage of pilots lately...

What kind of business is the dad in?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpressJetter said:

I really don't have a home airport.  I've done most of my flying out of n07 and am airing on KSMQ for a base if I move forward and buy a plane.  Thanks for the height info guys, that's what I'm most nervous about.  Right now my daughter is 2 years old and am also concerned about the future with her in the back and room.

And in what state are those airports?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Mike...

See if you can find the NJMPs...

We got our M20C when my daughter was born... the M20R, a decade later...

Sitting height is the important measurement...  but if the Yetti can fit, you can skip this step and focus on the other important things...

seems to be a shortage of pilots lately...

What kind of business is the dad in?

Best regards,

-a-

We do home inspections and other residential inspection services.  Funny, went to college for flying..... and a blue collar job pays the bills better

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ExpressJetter said:

Hey everyone, 

First off let me say, thanks for all of the information here.  It's truly a huge wealth of knowledge.  

Anyway, I've been looking into eventually buying my first aircraft and am strongly considering a m20c, e, or f. Problem is I've never flown or even sat in a mooney.  From what I read it seems like the aircraft that will fill my mission, but being 6'3" Idk how it would be and I'm just trying to figure out if the expense and logistics of owning a plane is an option for me right now.

A little about me:  I'm 34 y/o CFI living in NJ, and have a degree in aeronautics.   After college I flew for XJT on the emb-145,  got furloughed, did a temporary career change working with my father, got called back, then left in 2011 to work with my father full time. Since then I've been flying here and there in and out of currency.  Recently I've been getting the ich to fly constantly and to fly places which renting isnt really an option.  Which is what brings me here.

I'm in no rush to buy and just really starting my search to be sure I make the right decision in a purchase like this.  If anyone around the rt 78, rt 80 corridor in NJ, wants a companion on a flight or just wants to meet up at an airport to BS, I'd be excited to (I'll even throw in a complimentary BFR if u want/need/meet the requirements ect.)

Once again, thanks for all the info on here and happy flying

Mike.

Mike, 

I am based out of KPNE and would be happy to help however I can

Dev

pm sent

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you'll put a City or Airport locator in your public profile, then I can add you to the MooneySpace Map and you can see who's in the area.

Done.  I really dont have a "home airport"  yet,  I've done most of my GA flying out of lincoln park, NJ. N07.  But when I eventually get my plane I'd probably keep it at KSMQ.  

36 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Consider getting on the email list for the NJMPs... NJ Mooney Pilots secret society... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I tried to.  I applied to their Yahoo page and nothing came back.  Sure does seem super secret.   Any contact info or other way to get in contact with them?