Hubba hubba caps

Davidv

I’m may be overly cautious by asking this question but has anyone installed the lopresti hubba hubba caps on their aircraft?  I put them on and they seem to extend ever so slightly outside the edge of the tire and want to be sure that there won’t be a problem with clearance when I raise the gear.  Again, overly cautious since they have an STC for the M20, but wanted to check with others before I go flying.

Just now, jetdriven said:

That part of the wheel below the lower gear door is exposed to the airstream.  I don’t think it would interfere with the wheel well. It may be tight to the fiberglass style lower gear doors though.  

Thanks, I was also thinking about the wheel well but I assume there is a tiny bit of room between the tire and the top of the well when stowed...

I have them and have no trouble.  I put them on after a screw fell out of one of my hubcaps in flight and it basically folded in half.  Could have been a mess had I retracted the gear that way.  These won't bend and the little door to check the pressure is a perk.  

That said, they are stupid expensive for what they are, and it is the dumbest 337 I think my IA may have ever signed, but I'm happy with them.

Expect anything designed by Lopresti.... is going to be good.

Roy is THE guy that designed the composite aero shaped cowlings and wing tips and other assorted aero devices for the M20J while he worked at Mooney...

He started his own company after he left Mooney... one piece bellys, HID landing lights, and hub caps were the common items... and the really nice cowl...

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 3:11 PM, kortopates said:

Another alternative is the chromed hub caps sold by LASAR. Very nice but they do need to come off to add air. But that issue is greatly reduced with butyl tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Paul! I might need some of these. Know where I can find a picture? Tried Lasar website 

On 8/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, hypertech said:

...they are stupid expensive for what they are...

How difficult is it really to remove three little screws to check air in the tires? With some relative care not to damage threads in the wheel?

• Like 1

If you do it right, it is. The screws are a special length, three eights is slightly too short I think a half inch is too long. Also they have a locking star washer under them which is to be replaced every time. And also seeing as how the screw goes into magnesium every time you loosen up the threads get a little bit worn. Then eventually the hole strips out and you have to use a helicoil and that takes time. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kortopates said:

I'd give Dan @LASAR a call. I don't know where else, except an owner taking a pict of theirs. I might be able to do that soon.

They have two avaiable:  Mooney Part number (crazy expensive) and their own model (like $49/pair).

I had one come off after post flight tire change that was too damaged to replace.  I called LASAR and got a new pair that were primed and ready to install.

34 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

If you do it right, it is. The screws are a special length, three eights is slightly too short I think a half inch is too long. Also they have a locking star washer under them which is to be replaced every time. And also seeing as how the screw goes into magnesium every time you loosen up the threads get a little bit worn. Then eventually the hole strips out and you have to use a helicoil and that takes time. 

This is exactly what happened to me and why I have them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Are people normally installing these as owner maintenance, or hiring a mechanic to screw them on?

Spruce has a Q&A that suggests a logbook entry is all that’s needed (below).

Q: Can an owner install these in place of the flat aluminum covers, without an A&P signoff? 

We believe these would just require a logbook entry. We always recommend customer confirm with their A&P mechanic before installing any item on a certified aircraft.

1 hour ago, toto said:

Are people normally installing these as owner maintenance, or hiring a mechanic to screw them on?

Spruce has a Q&A that suggests a logbook entry is all that’s needed (below).

Q: Can an owner install these in place of the flat aluminum covers, without an A&P signoff? 

We believe these would just require a logbook entry. We always recommend customer confirm with their A&P mechanic before installing any item on a certified aircraft.

I believe if you follow the STC it requires a 337. Yes. For hubcaps.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, Davidv said:

I’m may be overly cautious by asking this question but has anyone installed the lopresti hubba hubba caps on their aircraft?  I put them on and they seem to extend ever so slightly outside the edge of the tire and want to be sure that there won’t be a problem with clearance when I raise the gear.  Again, overly cautious since they have an STC for the M20, but wanted to check with others before I go flying.

I have them on my 1989 Bravo,