Best single finger tricks/ air scoop repair

RobertGary1

The cable for my air scoop slipped off the control mechanism so I could no longer open/close the scoop from inside the plane. I was able to lower the headliner a couple inches and using a 90 degree screw driver I was able to detach the control mechanism from the plenum. Then with a single finger (all that would fit) I was able to slide up through the air vent in the headliner, through the gap by sliding the control mechanism to the side and reattach the cable. Took 45 minutes of trying but I got it. I remember 10 years ago when I replaced the cable thinking it could slip off. Hopefully it stays another 10 years.

-Robert

• Like 1

Slight thread creep...my scoop opens and closes wonderfully, but there is really not much air coming out of the vents.

I'm afraid to ask, but what's going on and what's it going to take to fix?

Edited by MikeOH

22 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

Slight thread creep...my scoop opens and closes wonderfully, but there is really not much air coming out of the vents.

I'm afraid to ask, but what's going on and what's it going to take to fix?

If your a/c has scat hoses, they might be shot.   My bird had mud dobber nests in there that were blocking most of the airflow.  No kidding.

Just now, 0TreeLemur said:

If your a/c has scat hoses, they might be shot.   My bird had mud dobber nests in there that were blocking most of the airflow.  No kidding.

YIKES!

I fear this project mostly because of removing the brittle plastic headliner.  And, the fact I have no idea how to remove the sun visor posts!

Ceiling removal the first time can be a bear... plan as many projects as possible for that day...

1) Vent hardware...

2) Vent water drain...

3) Vent screen... there is some natural fiber sponge in some to keep things from flying in...

4) RG400 cable for the antennae..?

Pp thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 10:42 PM, MikeOH said:

YIKES!

I fear this project mostly because of removing the brittle plastic headliner.  And, the fact I have no idea how to remove the sun visor posts!

don't think you have to remove the front panel for the project..  But if you do there is a really small allen set screw that holds the rod in.   And then they just unscrew.   There is a welded threaded part that attaches to the thread.  assuming Mooney factory visors and your year.

There is also some horsehair in the flow path.  This needs to be there or a replacement to keep rain at bay.   While it is open make sure the water drain tube is clear also.   Aluminum HVAC tape is your friend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yetti said:

don't think you have to remove the front panel for the project..  But if you do there is a really small allen set screw that holds the rod in.   And then they just unscrew.   There is a welded threaded part that attaches to the thread.  assuming Mooney factory visors and your year.

There is also some horsehair in the flow path.  This needs to be there or a replacement to keep rain at bay.   While it is open make sure the water drain tube is clear also.   Aluminum HVAC tape is your friend.

Thank you!

Very useful.