Power Towbar

I'm curious if anyone owns or has used a Redline Sidewinder portable power tug/towbar on their M20?  If so, are you happy with it, pluses, minuses, etc?  Also did you purchase the extender since the nose gear on our birds is set back behind the cowl?   I did s search and didn't find similar topics.  Thanks for the help/info.

I have one. Works great when there’s no snow on the ground. When it’s winter (7 months of the year up here), it slips and doesn’t work. 

Contemplated a possible change in design for the drum to aid in this situation. Just haven’t got there as of yet. 

10 hours ago, Tcraft938 said:

I'm curious if anyone owns or has used a Redline Sidewinder portable power tug/towbar on their M20?  If so, are you happy with it, pluses, minuses, etc?  Also did you purchase the extender since the nose gear on our birds is set back behind the cowl?   I did s search and didn't find similar topics.  Thanks for the help/info.

Thank you for the reply and review.  I have been unsuccessful in finding pictures of how it attaches on a Mooney.  It's pretty clear it must have a post that goes through the trunnion hole like factory tow bar, but the Sidewinder requires a way to lock it in place to counteract the torque of the roller, so where does that attach?  Also did you buy the handle extension, or is the standard sufficient?  Unlike a Bonanza where the gear is at the forward portion of the cowl, our Mooneys are at the firewall and further aft.   Thanks

I just bought a sidewinder. Standard length. The end of it goes in the end of the nose gear and there’s a little tab you  spin around that expands inside and locks it inside the tube.you just push down on the nose tire and pull the trigger and go

Never heard of that...   :)

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Redline sidewinder

Try to find one used at a discount.... (they re-sell quickly)

I have the tow bar... got the extension with the ring on it for putting on the tow hitch on my lawn tractor/tug...

finger tight will lock the bar into the nose wheel... there is a sliding expanding piece of hardware...

Best regards,

-a-

Never heard of that...   
https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Redline sidewinder
Try to find one used at a discount.... (they re-sell quickly)
I have the tow bar... got the extension with the ring on it for putting on the tow hitch on my lawn tractor/tug...
finger tight will lock the bar into the nose wheel... there is a sliding expanding piece of hardware...
Best regards,
-a-

That's no way to search Mooneyspace! Especially for a pro like you. Google is much better, search in Google:
mooneyspace.com Redline Sidewinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:11 PM, GLJA said:

I have one. Works great when there’s no snow on the ground. When it’s winter (7 months of the year up here), it slips and doesn’t work. 

Contemplated a possible change in design for the drum to aid in this situation. Just haven’t got there as of yet. 

It needs a sandpaper drum.   The one I used slipped too much. 

57 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

It needs a sandpaper drum.   The one I used slipped too much. 

Tried that. Still didn’t work. Used the skateboard top cover grip tape.

I was thinking more of a series U channels, welded on, that would be able to “dig in” to the tire with each row

I considered that and bought a used golf cart on Craigslist and a universal towbar separately for less money. Now I have transportation around the airport. The only challenge was learning to tow a plane. The rudder turns with the steering wheel and you have to lead it a bit. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

I considered that and bought a used golf cart on Craigslist and a universal towbar separately for less money. Now I have transportation around the airport. The only challenge was learning to tow a plane. The rudder turns with the steering wheel and you have to lead it a bit. 

Yes, but wait till the batteries need replacing. Priced golf cart batteries lately?:)

I like mine so much I just bought their manual towbar to keep in the plane. It has the same nose wheel lock mechanism and telescopes so you can see where you’re going when pushing. I also like the large handles that are welded at the correct angle. 

4 hours ago, PT20J said:

Yes, but wait till the batteries need replacing. Priced golf cart batteries lately?:)

I also live 3 blocks from the airport, so there’s that too. 

I also considered building my own powered towbar before purchasing. The $99 hoverboards supposedly have two motors that put out about 8-10 lb-ft of torque (6.5” diameter wheels) and a 36VDC lithium-ion battery pack. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 6:06 PM, kortopates said:

That's no way to search Mooneyspace! Especially for a pro like you. Google is much better, search in Google:
mooneyspace.com Redline Sidewinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great tip. Thank you