Headsets

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to get your feathers in a ruff, but in 10 years of airline flying I have maybe seen 3 pilots use them. Yes I have flown with hundreds of pilots so my sample size is larger than yours.  So taking the percentages its way less than 1%.  Of course there are outliers. Do you really want to argue this?

Fly 900 hours in a year, or 8 hours in a row with in-ear headsets you may change your mind.

Further, I'm not talking about money.  But the going rate for a top-notch ANR headset is 700-1000$.  Personally I think the Bose is overpriced and the Zulu with the trade-in making it 750$ is awesome.

Older Boeings have no intercom like our Mooney so we use the crappy telex walkman style headphones, which is terrible.

Quote: flight2000

fly 4 hours without a headset in a 150, the next day 4 hours with a DC clamp headset, then the next day 4 hours with an ANR and quantify the fatigue level.  For me its a huge difference with ANR.

Quote: Becca

I would venture a guess that most airline/corporate pilots are using the Telex airmans or one of the plantronics in ear headset variants.  Well strike that, all I can vouch for is the corporate pilots.  I have never seen any corporate pilots using some big clamp headset like the Bose/Clarks/Lightspeed/etc??  It's just not that noisy in the cabin class airplanes to require such a thing.  But, I guess I could be wrong.  I have been many many times before.  I currently use the Telex airmans and have used them for my entire flying career.  They are however, uncomfortable and I am looking for a change.  It would be nice to have something that I could use both in the Mooney and for work.  I will give the Halos an honest try and give my feedback on them, but I suspect that I will be just as happy with them as just about everybody that has tried them has been.  I certainly don't want to knock them before I try them.  Nobody has said whether the Halos will adapt to a custom made ear piece and would that cut down on the noise reduction?  I have never had a custom ear piece made and don't know what they are like?

ANR has no effect on your radio transmissions, the mic is outside the ANR area (the earcup).  Also, the active noise reduction such as in a Bose X is more than the passive reduction.  The passive is actually pretty poor. Telex even makes a Walkman style earphone which has zero passive reduction its all active.

Quote: Bnicolette

Nobody has said whether the Halos will adapt to a custom made ear piece and would that cut down on the noise reduction?  I have never had a custom ear piece made and don't know what they are like?

Quote: allsmiles

Active or ANR headsets use electronics to further reduce the level of noise which enters the ear. The electronics sense the ambient noise, invert its wave 180 degrees and re-broadcast it directly through the headset speakers.  In effect this cancels out the original noise.  This in essense doubles the sound attenuation of a passive headset. 

2 things...fly a full day with David Clarks and your ears and the back of you neck will hurt.

Also, the Lightsepeed is the only headset that offers true and full ANR and passive together, one not greatly affecting the other. Lose ANR and the Lightspeed still performs very well passively. The Bose, on the other hand, has a passive design to help the ANR that actually exasserbates low frequencies in passive mode. So wire the Bose to ships power (asking for trouble) or always have spare batteries on board.

Other than Zulu, for full ANR, I have tried them all and Bose is the best proportionate to price in every case (ie, for $500 the Lightspeed performs by half...seemingly).

I have an old set of David Clark 13.4s and my wife uses an old set of Sigtronics. It didn't take too long to realize the pressure of both these sets was tough to take after a few hours. Being cheap, I bought and installed Headset, Inc.'s ANR units in both. I also got Oregon Aero's memory foam ear pads. I "de-sprung" the metal over-the-head straps by trial and error. We have been quite pleased with the results, both as to noise control and pressure comfort. Granted, I have not done a side-by-side comparison with either the in the ear models or the super expensive brands, but this is an inexpensive alternative which works quite well.

Don 

The Halos come with several different silicone inserts [i use the white ones], and a handful of yellow foam ones. Try them, use what you like. I started with the white silicone and six months later, haven't tried the rest yet.

Perhaps one reason that "99.744% of airline pilots" don't use Halos is that they have not been on the market for very long, Sporty's doesn't carry them, I've not seen them in any FBO's, and the good Doctor apparently manufactures them as a side business to his practice, right here in the USA. Kind of like Mooney airplanes--what percentage of pilots fly Mooneys? Does ~10,000 [including partnerships] out of 680,000 licensed pilots mean that the "other" 98½% of pilots are correct, and we should abandon our non-favored planes? I don't think so! I value performance, not what happens to be popular.

Quote: jetdriven

ANR has no effect on your radio transmissions, the mic is outside the ANR area (the earcup).  Also, the active noise reduction such as in a Bose X is more than the passive reduction.  The passive is actually pretty poor. Telex even makes a Walkman style earphone which has zero passive reduction its all active.