231 interior plastic panels.

Jetjky1

Hi all,

I have a 82’ 231 and would like to replace the pilots side plastic panel. My problem is this, I have a built in O2 system with the slide type on/off lever. The only replacement panel I can find has the indentation for the twist style valve. I have a hard time believing that my plane is a one off since it was installed at the factory in 82’. The part number in the book,  ( K130277-105 ) matchs what Vantage plane plastics has but doesn’t look the same. Any suggestions other than trying to repair the original? 

Pics below show the replacement part and what my panel looks like. 

3236D87D-BCFD-46C3-9537-E7C7AAA09985.jpeg

627072E1-1350-4F1D-931E-1AAAAA4C67DF.jpeg

I installed all new plastic panels in my 231 about 7 years ago. Purchased everything from Plane Plastics. The pilot’s panel is not exactly the same.  You will have to carefully create openings for oxygen gauge and pilot’s oxygen supply. Other than that it will fit very well with some trimming. 

My replacement panel has the indentation.  It doesn't affect anything.

If you are really concerned about getting an exact copy of your existing panel Plane Plastics will make an copy for you.  I have fold down rear seats and their panel would not accommodate the seat backs when they were down.  You send them your piece and they make a template.  Took about 6 or 8 weeks but the new piece popped right in.

If you haven’t already committed to Plane Plastics, Mooney will still produce a replacement side panel for your K. I have an ‘80 K-model with the same panel and just went through this process at annual in May. Went with the original Mooney panel and looks good as new.

As a side bar, Plane Plastics does NOT make the correct panel for your oxygen setup, and will not custom make one (ask me how I know). After fighting with them for nearly two, maybe close to three months to get a refund on the returned incompatible panel, I decided I probably won’t be doing business with them unless I am absolutely certain they have what I need. 

• Like 2