FAA STCs Wanted - Looking To Acquire

tomgo2

Hi Everyone,

I own an FAA PMA business and looking to expand my offerings by purchasing STCs or small businesses related to general aviation (no FBOs or flight schools please). We want to keep these planes flying and ensure the STCs don't disappear or become abandoned. Please contact me at tlangeland@talco.aero if you or someone you know owns a small business or STCs that would be interested in selling. Feel free to pass this along to others who may also be interested.  I would be happy to take a look.

Regards,

Tom Langeland

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tomgo2 said:

Hi Everyone,

I own an FAA PMA business and looking to expand my offerings by purchasing STCs or small businesses related to general aviation (no FBOs or flight schools please). We want to keep these planes flying and ensure the STCs don't disappear or become abandoned. Please contact me at tlangeland@talco.aero if you or someone you know owns a small business or STCs that would be interested in selling. Feel free to pass this along to others who may also be interested.  I would be happy to take a look.

Regards,

Tom Langeland

PM sent.

Hi Brad - thanks for the message.  The challenge is to obtain them before being orphaned/abandoned. Lost data, lack of ownership knowledge and lost historical value is what hurts the most.

Yes, Mod Works and Mooney Mart are sad examples of what happens when they are too far gone.  RAJAY is still kicking, but the M20A - G, E &F STCs are currently in the orphaned state. RAJAY itself is very much active and supporting the fleet.

3 minutes ago, N803RM said:

Can the orphaned sac be purchased, the faa.

Nope.  Once the STC has been officially deemed as abandoned, it disappears into the FAA abyss.  Orphaned STCs are ones where the owner is not supporting the STC and has not formally surrendered them to the FAA.  There is an FAA abandon process, but again, once that is formally deemed as such, they will forever be gone.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but what about PMA for Brittain components? I know Brittain found a buyer, but it has now been ~9months and they still arent selling components that they were actively producing & shipping before the change in ownership (and passing of the owner). There have to be at least one or two other people that need a step retraction servo boot, not to mention their other components.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, moontownMooney said:

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but what about PMA for Brittain components? I know Brittain found a buyer, but it has now been ~9months and they still arent selling components that they were actively producing & shipping before the change in ownership (and passing of the owner). There have to be at least one or two other people that need a step retraction servo boot, not to mention their other components.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the message.  I'll reach out to them and see how they are progressing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 10:42 AM, RobertGary1 said:

Is there actually any STC still available to convert the A1A engines to A3B6? Lycoming doesn't even sell A1A's anymore. Fortunately I already had my STC from my previous engine but I'm not sure what people do today when replacing their engine.

-Robert

Yes...Lasar has that STC.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, RobertGary1 said:

Is there actually any STC still available to convert the A1A engines to A3B6? Lycoming doesn't even sell A1A's anymore. Fortunately I already had my STC from my previous engine but I'm not sure what people do today when replacing their engine.

-Robert

The IO360A1A is still listed on factoryengines.com

Clarence

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, John Car said:

Tom did you acquire M20s turbo STC?

M20-1.jpg

I was wrapping header wrap around my exhaust like Mr. Sandman recommended but it was eroding the outside of my pipes. I just put heat shield on my cowling and haven't had any more problems with my exhaust.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was wrapping header wrap around my exhaust like Mr. Sandman recommended but it was eroding the outside of my pipes. I just put heat shield on my cowling and haven't had any more problems with my exhaust.

Do you have this turbo upgrade?  Do you have any maintenance documentation or parts reference IPC manual that you can share?

When the owner of an STC has flown west... what happens to the status of the related STCs? 

Does his corporation carry them forward... if the corporation still exist?

What would cause an STC to revert back to the control of the FAA?

Best regards,

-a-

Coy had a few interesting STCs...

Passing them on could be good for the Mooney community and Coy’s estate as well...

The Mooney Summit enterprise/charity could make an awesome care taker of such homeless Mooney STCs..?

PP thoughts only, not a lawyer...

Best regards,

-a-

The FAA doesn't monitor whether the STC holder is and individual/corporation or dead/alive/active/resolved. They turn a blind eye to that because they don't want the STC surrendered back to the FAA with the liability.

M20 Turbo STC ownership has a checkered past after Bill passed away and is essentially in no man's land. Anyone can request the FAA to verify if it has been abandoned. It takes about a year for them to do the process.

Once it is deemed abandoned, it goes back to the FAA into the black hole never to be seen again. The FAA will only support ongoing airworthiness issues with the STC like ADs. 

Edited by tomgo2