ADS-B Fleet Installation Progress

Jerry 5TJ

On 8/6/2019 at 6:53 PM, Skates97 said:

If you are a little handy and have an AP/IA to work with you have options. I bought the GTX335 along with the wiring harness, GAE12 encoder and GA35 antenna. Made the RG400 cables, installed everything, and had my AP/IA sign off on it. Even learned how to fill out at 337 in the process. 

If you have a good transponder you can do the Skybeacon without much trouble. I was not sure how long my old Narco would keep working so just went ahead with the install of the new transponder.

In anticipating the scheduling issues by waiting, I went ahead and had my panel updated with a compliment of Garmin products back in April of 2018, I feel for everyone who will be waiting for their planes to get to he front of the line over the next few months. Sounds like you did the right thing in getting it started yourself.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:41 AM, DanM20C said:

Hank,  

Do you fly above 10K?  10 and 11K were my preferred cruising altitudes with my C. Unfortunately above 10 will be a no go without adsb.

Cheers,

Dan 

I don't go above 10K very often, climb is too slow (especially in Southern summer super-high DA).

8 hours ago, cliffy said:

Hank  Super high DA?    Try my airport 4300 MSL  summer temps 95 and above DAs 8000+

Right down the street at KFLG  they get DAs in the 10s and 11s every summer. But out here its a dry heat, You don't feel it   :-)

Yikes! 10’s and 11’s! On those days you’re practically a 1 person airplane and a change of panties, if it could even get off the ground. Preferably a thong to keep the weight down. But I’m pretty sure you don’t schedule a flight when it’s that hot unless you need an adrenaline rush. 

Thats like me on a 3,000’ runway down here at sea level and using half throttle or less. Pretty thrilling.

• Haha 1

At FLG they actually had a very large flashing sign showing the DA as you taxi up to the runway,

At least they did, I haven't been there in a while. 

90 -95 degrees gives you about 10,500 DA.and it does get that hot. Their record is 97.  brings it right near 11,000   9,000+ are common in summer

We had an 8,000+ DA a couple weeks ago for several days in a row and we sit at 4300 MSL    100+ for several days here. 

When I first started flying, I flew to Flagstaff in the middle of the summer with my roommate in a Tomahawk.

When we went to take off, I rotated and the plane just rolled down the runway with the nose in the air.

I added full flaps and it lifted off. We cleared the trees at the end and it was down hill the rest of the way home!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cliffy said:

Hank  Super high DA?    Try my airport 4300 MSL  summer temps 95 and above DAs 8000+

Right down the street at KFLG  they get DAs in the 10s and 11s every summer. But out here its a dry heat, You don't feel it   :-)

It was 97° this afternoon, with enough humidity that you felt it as soon as you opened the door . . . To say nothing of opening a baking hangar and pulling your Mooney out into the sunshine. Right now, it's 82° and 68% humidity, pretty tolerable. That's why our football game is happening tomorrow evening. 

32 minutes ago, Hank said:

It was 97° this afternoon, with enough humidity that you felt it as soon as you opened the door . . . To say nothing of opening a baking hangar and pulling your Mooney out into the sunshine. Right now, it's 82° and 68% humidity, pretty tolerable. That's why our football game is happening tomorrow evening. 

I stopped watching football when they started kneeling. They may never get me back.

1 hour ago, Sandman993 said:

I stopped watching football when they started kneeling. They may never get me back.

Tomorrow evening is Saturday, whuch is college football. War Eagle! 

I've been tuning out the NFL since the spoiled brats went on strike in the 90s. I have neither patience nor sympathy with today's crop of kneelers. But college football is (so far) untainted. I will enjoy the games tomorrow.

• Like 2

Only 44% of GA aircraft equipped with ADS-B

SEPTEMBER 19, 2019 BY GENERAL AVIATION NEWS STAFF 5 COMMENTS

A recent report from the Department of Transportation’s Inspector General’s Office states that just 44% of general aviation aircraft are equipped with ADS-B Out, with just months remaining before the Jan. 1, 2020 mandate.

The report notes that:

• 44% of general aviation aircraft (62,494 of 143,322) that are estimated to equip with ADS-B Out have done so. This segment of operators has been slow to equip and has seen only a 56% increase in equipage since May 1, 2018.
  • 63% of higher-end turbojet and turboprop aircraft (14,166 of 22,596) estimated to equip have done so.
  • Conversely, only 40% of the single- and multi-engine piston aircraft (48,328 of 120,726) estimated to equip have done so.
FAA-ADSB-Equip-Now.png

For its audit, the IG’s office reviewed monthly data collected by FAA and MITRE from May 1, 2018, through June 1, 2019, regarding ADS-B Out equipage rates of commercial and general aviation aircraft. Officials also conducted interviews with FAA representatives, MITRE, and industry stakeholders

The report was put together at the request of Chairmen Bill Shuster and Frank LoBiondo of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure and its Aviation Subcommittee, who cited concerns that aircraft owners wouldn’t meet the 2020 deadline.

“Overall, we found that ADS-B Out equipage is increasing,” Inspector General Calvin L. Scovel III noted in a letter to Congress that accompanied the report. “As of June 1, 2019, 73,421 commercial, international, and general aviation aircraft were in compliance with the ADS-B-Out mandate, an increase of nearly 69% since May 1, 2018.”

However, he added, equipage rates vary by segment of the industry:

• Commercial operators have higher equipage rates than general aviation. While 76% of commercial operators have equipped their aircraft with ADS-B Out, only 44% of general aviation operators have equipped their aircraft with the technology.
  • Mainline and regional commercial carriers are equipping at a higher rate than smaller commercial carriers. ADS-B Out equipage rates at mainline (81%) and regional (73%) carriers have more than doubled since May 1, 2018. However, equipage at smaller commercial operators is lagging, with only 44% of the fleet equipped.
  • Equipage rates varied among general aviation operators. While 63% of higher-end turbojet and turboprop operators estimated to equip with ADS-B have done so, only 40% of single- and multi-engine piston operators estimated to equip have done so.

In his letter, Scovill notes that these are preliminary results of the audit, with the audit expected to be complete this winter. Included in the complete audit will be specific requests from Congress, including:

1. Determine the equipage rates for ADS-B and other NextGen-enabling technologies on commercial and general aviation aircraft
  2. Ascertain the reasons behind aircraft operators’ decisions to equip or not equip with these technologies
  3. Assess FAA and aircraft operators’ plans to meet the 2020 ADS-B Out equipage deadline.

Are you equipped?

Have you equipped with ADS-B to meet the 2020 deadline? If so, why did you equip? If you haven’t, what’s behind that decision? Leave your answers in the comments below.

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Are you equipped?

Have you equipped with ADS-B to meet the 2020 deadline? If so, why did you equip? If you haven’t, what’s behind that decision? Leave your answers in the comments below.

I'm as equipped as I plan to be:  Mode C is good enough. ATL finally let me into the Bravo (when I had already diverted 3/4 of the way around) for the first time in 5+ years of flying past.

Since that's the only Regulation airspace that I frequent, and I am almost always denied entry, I'm not wasting my fuel / maintenance / upgrade money on ADS-B.

Doggone ATL Bravo is so high and wide that it would require oxygen to go over, to say anything of my C's anemic climb rate going to 13,500 msl.

59 minutes ago, Hank said:

Since that's the only Regulation airspace that I frequent, and I am almost always denied entry, I'm not wasting my fuel / maintenance / upgrade money on ADS-B.

But, Hank, you won't be able to fly under it, either.  That cuts a lot of airports with aviation services out of your world.  No FFC (Aircraft Spruce) 6A2 (cheap prices on Av oil) and (drum roll) no Mallards Landing for Mexican food!

And ADS-B in/out is definitely an up-grade should you decide to sell....