ADS-B Fleet Installation Progress

Jerry 5TJ

18 hours ago, Skates97 said:

If you are a little handy and have an AP/IA to work with you have options. I bought the GTX335 along with the wiring harness, GAE12 encoder and GA35 antenna. Made the RG400 cables, installed everything, and had my AP/IA sign off on it. Even learned how to fill out at 337 in the process. 

If you have a good transponder you can do the Skybeacon without much trouble. I was not sure how long my old Narco would keep working so just went ahead with the install of the new transponder.

I have a GNS430W, an Aspen 1000 and an old Narco AT 150.

I am trying to figure out what exactly I need to install a GTX 345. I believe I already have an encoder, I in theory should be able to use the GNS430W as a WAAS GPS source (essentially using the antenna already installed and not need a new GPS Antenna) and also be able to utilize the antenna that the Narco uses.

This means all I really have to do is run power to the GTX 345, have it connect to the 430W and some how run it over to the Aspen for the ADSB in correct? Or would the Aspen be able to pull the ADSB info from the 430W that is already connected to the Aspen?

Just now, bill98 said:

I am trying to figure out what exactly I need to install a GTX 345. I believe I already have an encoder, I in theory should be able to use the GNS430W as a WAAS GPS source (essentially using the antenna already installed and not need a new GPS Antenna) and also be able to utilize the antenna that the Narco uses.

This means all I really have to do is run power to the GTX 345, have it connect to the 430W and some how run it over to the Aspen for the ADSB in correct? Or would the Aspen be able to pull the ADSB info from the 430W that is already connected to the Aspen?

Essentially correct, i believe you could connect the ADSB-out to both your 430W and Aspen. You'll have to see what transponder antennas are approved with the GTX345 to see if your Narco is one. My old KT76 was. Also I think the 345 has its own digital encoder.

Also I am pretty sure the GTX-345 is a Garmin dealer only install except for the experimental installs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bill98 said:

Reach out to @Aerodon, I was going to buy my kit through Aircraft Spruce but he was able to get me a better deal that still came with the harness ready to go, I just had to hook up power and ground. (Mine was a simple installation not connecting to a GPS Nav/Com or anything else). But, you might be able to work out what wiring you would need coming out of the harness and he can get you a price to have it pre-made. Don has always been a pleasure to work with, I got a SL-40 and EDM830 from him a couple years back.

As Paul said, there is a note on Aircraft Spruce for the GTX-345 that says "Note: The GTX 335/345 can only be sold to experimental aircraft. Certified aircraft must purchase this unit from a shop certified by Garmin to perform installations." However, even though on the 345 page it says the 335 has to be purchased from a shop, the Q/A on the 335 page says it can be sold over the counter and installed by an A&P. It might be worth a chat with Don.

7 hours ago, Hank said:

It all depends on your flight path. KAUO-->33A is right over KATL, going around the Bravo adds ~25 mins. Since it goes to 13K, over the top isn't much of an option in my C.

VFR:  "stay out of the Bravo" (NOT "remain clear".)

IFR:  it's always HEFIN or CINKA (sometimes Approach is nice and lets me choose which one).

Like the rest of Atlanta, there's too many transplanted Yankees in ATL Approach . . . .

Did someone say KAUO?! <3

5 hours ago, bill98 said:

You usually need a Garmin dealer license to generate the STC. 

-Robert 

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

You usually need a Garmin dealer license to generate the STC. 

-Robert 

The GTX335 came with a card that had a registration code. When I registered it generated the STC Permission Letter which I then downloaded and printed out. I do not know if that would be the case with the 345.

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

The GTX335 came with a card that had a registration code. When I registered it generated the STC Permission Letter which I then downloaded and printed out. I do not know if that would be the case with the 345.

Which seems like RICO act stuff.   Trig products you can buy and get the Free STC and get to installing.   Dynon uses rebadged Trig products.   As in the FCC ID is the same.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

UPDATE— ADS-B installations continue at a steady pace:

65A3FDEA-734B-4D6E-A2DB-4D04DDFCAE75.thumb.jpeg.df75c64a9b5b99fec02628135b53e163.jpeg

Source: FAA Data

There is no last-minute upswing trend visible, probably because all the shops have been booked all this year already.  

GA fixed wing aircraft are about 2/3 of the total.  

8C80362D-9546-4EF0-B562-F789EF311ACD.thumb.jpeg.352b8c8449ba425204adc3ab352152d0.jpeg

Looks as if about 3,000 installations per month are going into GA aircraft.  The total at the deadline looks to approach 80,000 planes.  

• Like 1

I don’t think the FAA gives a rat’s assay about GA economics. They do care about our safety. Safest airplane is one that doesn’t leave the ground.  I suspect any waiver program will be short-lived.

I will feel sorry for exactly no one after Jan 1.  The writing has been on the wall for some time.

We’ve been compliant for FAA 1/1/2020 since 2017, and getting the benefits of ADS-B IN.  

Now I’m prepping for the NEXT ADS-B deadline —1/1/2021 — when in Canada above FL180 Mode S Diversity will be required. 

Adding a top antenna and a diversity Transponder this month.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steingar said:

I don’t think the FAA gives a rat’s assay about GA economics. They do care about our safety. Safest airplane is one that doesn’t leave the ground.  I suspect any waiver program will be short-lived.

I will feel sorry for exactly no one after Jan 1.  The writing has been on the wall for some time.

If you do the math it was never possible for all aircraft to be done starting the day the FAA announced ADS-B. Garmin is far behind manufacturing and I'm still on the waiting list almost a year later for install. I'll probably not be ready until January, sitting waiting to get into the shop and for them to get the equipment. Our local shop orders 10 transponders and Garmin rations them 1.

-Robert 

2 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

If you do the math it was never possible for all aircraft to be done starting the day the FAA announced ADS-B. Garmin is far behind manufacturing and I'm still on the waiting list almost a year later for install. I'll probably not be ready until January, sitting waiting to get into the shop and for them to get the equipment. Our local shop orders 10 transponders and Garmin rations them 1.

-Robert 

It was possible for a lot more to get done.  I know exactly no one who started this in a timely manner and didn't get it done.  Our local shop was booked up, so I went to another in the boonies.  Wound up being OK, though a little more drama than I would have liked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Starting right now, you could literally be compliant by this weekend if you really wanted to.  The skybeacon is in-stock and several suppliers offer overnight shipping.  Install, including programming and logbook entry takes less than an hour.  No one will miss the deadline because they couldn't get it completed in time, only because they chose not to complete it in time.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, steingar said:

It was possible for a lot more to get done.  I know exactly no one who started this in a timely manner and didn't get it done.  Our local shop was booked up, so I went to another in the boonies.  Wound up being OK, though a little more drama than I would have liked.

I'm not sure why I like that phrase, but I'm going to have to remember it next time my wife makes us run late :) 

2 hours ago, skydvrboy said:

No one will miss the deadline because they couldn't get it completed in time, only because they chose not to complete it in time.

Or because they used different hardware.  For me that would be an expensive temporary solution until I get into the avionics shop. 

Maybe they should consider a rental program for the uAvionics and you could sell it back in February  

14 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

That's my fear. If i install one now will there be much of a market when I go to sell it after 2020.

-Robert

I suspect after January 1 2020 an ADSB transponder will be required equipment, and  you'll have some trouble (i.e. have to take a hit on price) to sell without.  But why would anyone want to sell a Mooney?  Biggest bang for your buck in GA.

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I suspect after January 1 2020 an ADSB transponder will be required equipment, and  you'll have some trouble (i.e. have to take a hit on price) to sell without.  But why would anyone want to sell a Mooney?  Biggest bang for your buck in GA.

Not selling the Mooney selling the temporary uAvionics ads-b device until  Garmin catches up. 

Edited by RobertGary1

4 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Not selling the Mooney selling the temporary uAvionics ads-b device until  Garmin catches up. 

I have a transponder from Appareo.  It has its own WAAS source, and has worked just fine.  It even powers the little handheld thingie that gives me ADSB in.  I think was about 5AMUs all in.  Moreover, if my GPS breaks I will still have my transponder.  Why are you "waiting for Garmin to catch up" .  There are good boxes that are no more than the original Mode C transponders were when new.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, steingar said:

I have a transponder from Appareo.  It has its own WAAS source, and has worked just fine.  It even powers the little handheld thingie that gives me ADSB in.  I think was about 5AMUs all in.  Moreover, if my GPS breaks I will still have my transponder.  Why are you "waiting for Garmin to catch up" .  There are good boxes that are no more than the original Mode C transponders were when new.

I'm waiting because the shop ordered 10 GNC355's and only 1 showed up. So I have to wait for Garmin to build 9 more and  then for their install before I can get mine done.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1