ADS-B Fleet Installation Progress

Jerry 5TJ

On 9/24/2019 at 3:12 PM, bob865 said:

......Makes me wonder, do you really want to see RADAR and ADS-B traffic on the same scope?  I imagine it like a VOR track vs. a GPS track.  They are close and both good for navigation, but they aren't necessarily the same.  Not sure I want a mix of GPS and RADAR separation.  Like seeing traffic cross-eyed, you show up twice in two slightly different locations.

If you mean does ATC want both radar and  ADS-B targets in their displays simultaneously—yes. 

Radar primary returns and transponder replies both have been displayed for several decades.  

Getting the transponder symbol and data aligned with the primary reply on the screen is the task of the target correlator — Hardware in olden days, a software solution now   

Adding more precise ADS-B mode S ES or UAT position data is an evolutionary improvement to existing procedures.  

• Like 2

ADS-B Installs: Delay Backlog Will Be Worse Next Year

September 26, 2019

With only three months to go before the 2020 ADS-B deadline, avionics shops are backed up three to nine months and most expect the backlog to increase next year. The ADS-B mandate has ignited demand for panel upgrades in general and many customers are scheduling ADS-B now, and full panels later.

“I am currently scheduling installations into July of 2020. ADS-B is part of it, but we are selling new autopilots like you wouldn’t believe. Glass panels, G5s, G3X Touch, STEC 3100 autopilots, Aspen Max,” says Chuck Gallagher of Cincinnati Avionics, a shop associated with Sporty’s Pilot Shop. 

But backlogs vary by the type of shop we contacted. Sarasota Avionics, for example, has six locations and installs in a wide variety of aircraft. “We’re easily three months out at every one of our locations,” says Sarasota’s Monica Gulandri. “This is what we expected. Most customers were holding out for the next greatest thing and that’s been OK, because most of those things weren’t what we were going to install anyway,” she adds. She was referring to uAvionix’s SkyBeacon and TailBeacon products.

Although meeting the deadline is looking dismal for some customers, it’s still worth a call to see what’s available. “I’ve got little holes that are one- to three-day type work that I can do. But I don’t have extended time,” said Stuart Ashenden of Yingling Aviation in Wichita. He said the shop can still schedule small jobs as soon as November. 

Same at Lancaster Avionics in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. “I’ve got three different answers for you. Anything beyond ADS-B, I am booking in June 2020. If all you want to do is ADS-B, I’m right around the beginning of February. However, I have a short list where I feel I can get a number of ADS-B jobs done this calendar year. My motto is if the customer gives me latitude and no attitude, I can get it done,” says Lancaster’s Todd Adams. Like other shops, Lancaster is busy with major panel upgrades and some customers may get these done after meeting the ADS-B requirement.

As in our previous surveys, Garmin products dominate the ADS-B market by an overwhelming margin. “I would probably say 75 percent of the installs are Garmin GTX transponders, whether it be the 335 or the 345. And the remaining 25 percent are evenly divided between the Avidyne AXP products, Appareo or L-3 Lynx products,” says Brian Paugh, of Premier Avionics in Fort Wayne, Indiana. None of the shops we contacted were enthused about the uAvionix products, because of worries about Garmin’s pending lawsuit over patent infringement and concerns about reliability. 

How much of the GA fleet is already ADS-B equipped remains a hard-to-resolve moving target. We reported earlier this week that some 5000 business jets will miss the 2020 deadline, according to Duncan Aviation. The Aircraft Electronics Association’s Mike Adamson told us that it estimates about 70,000 of 100,000 piston airplanes have been equipped. Given current rates of installation, there’s no chance all of those aircraft will meet the 2020 deadline.

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

Which is why they’re not necessarily required. Only a fraction of the fleet needs them.

True enough, I suppose.

A fair portion of the GA fleet seems to just sit in the weeds and those don’t need to meet the deadline.  Any deadline.  

A solid minority of older and non-compliant biz jets will be sold off to South America and Asia rather than upgrade. Simple cash decision for them.      

And those of us who want to fly in crowded airspace January 1 have found a way to upgrade,  so we’re ok, too.  

• Like 1

If you’re in S Florida like me, you aren’t going anywhere without ADSB. Maybe if you’re in the sw side you I can squeeze through the 10 mile wide corridor between Orlando and Tampa mode c veils. But on the east side everything will require ADSB and is under the Miami veil. 

Again, I’m looking forward to the clearer skys and getting rid of the dark airplanes that don’t have adsb, don’t report at uncontrolled fields, and don’t have any care what runway everyone else is using. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

True enough, I suppose.

A solid minority of older and non-compliant biz jets will be sold off to South America and Asia rather than upgrade. Simple cash decision for them.      

And those of us who want to fly in crowded airspace January 1 have found a way to upgrade,  so we’re ok, too.  

I know at least one guy who isn’t going to spend the $50k to add ads-b to his cessna 500. 

-Robert 

22 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I know at least one guy who isn’t going to spend the $50k to add ads-b to his cessna 500. 

-Robert 

How on earth is an adsb transponder cost 50k??

if you own a Cessna 500 series jet, adsb should be a flea bite compared to all the maintenance and fuel. Isn’t it several thousand every time you fill it up with kerosene? And $50,000 annuals? Or more?

haha... tell him to duck tape one of those adsb light gizmos in the tail... 

Well he’s probably using it as an excuse to not overhaul engines or do a major inspection. So it makes no sense to spend 500k on engines, 50k-100k on a transponder install, and then a 75k inspection on a jet that might only be worth 350k to start with. Off it goes. A lot of older current charter airplanes will not do the upgrade. 

But most of the ADSB transponders for jets have wild approval process’s. Most everything is  installed via an STC. The way the wiring and integration is set up... you just can’t slap in a new transponder and go fly like we can in our M20s.