Do you or have you named your plane?

7 hours ago, Skates97 said:

My wife wanted to name her Bertha. I told her that name didn't exactly lend itself to a sleek/fast plane...

I think we have settled on Liberty.

Back in the mid 70's a friend of mine rode a TT-500 (500cc dirt bike) and his wife named it "Big Bertha", when I bought mine a few months later it got named "Big Betty"... There was a song back then that had something to do with Bertha Butt and Betty was one of the Butt sisters

Mine has been and will be The Lucky Strike. Found her on this very site, the thread still exists if you want to see it. Her former owner was looking for something nice to go low and slow, he wasn’t flying the Mooney all that much. I was flying something nice that was low and slow, I had one of the nicest Cherokees in the world. We traded, and I think we’ve both been happy ever since.

As much as I hate cigarettes it is the most appropriate appellation I could imagine. I suppose I ought to have thought of Spanky though. Missed opportunity.

Obviously, with a Bravo at the end, something with a B might work. It was The Beast, for a while, as I tried to learn how to tame it.. Now I’m leaning toward The Broomstick. 

The last, an M20K, was named by my children, after their favorite Dr. Seuss book for toddlers. Marvin K. Mooney, Will You Please GO Now.

Edited by Amelia
  • Like 2

The Mistress, of course, after the notion of a French Mistress:

• The mistress and the wife are aware of each other.
  • The wife hates the mistress, but puts up with her.
  • The mistress is expensive to keep--apartment (hangar), expensive baubles (avionics) and always expects champagne (Aeroshell & 100LL).

457300450_HRM-N5976QLASARMooniac.thumb.jpg.23f0cd66ff61a7ab84a1a401459e3ea9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My planes have never had names but since we painted the plane last year I've been trying to find an appropriate moniker. 

"The Gypsy Rose" seems to fit the Red trim and our mission. In addition my late sister ran a restaurant by that name. 

The custom nose art guy with a big booth at KOSH would do his thing under the pilot window for about 1 AMU if I bring the plane to Charlottesville. Nope. 

On 8/9/2019 at 4:52 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

My wife says its name is Mike!

She says that every time ATC calls I answer 1 Mike Kilo. She says its first name is Mike and its last name is Kilo

That works better than Tango Foxtrot!  Pam spent some time working with the name from this.  Maybe Dancing Queen?

My Ovation doesn't have an official nick-name but I affectionately call it my "rocket ship" because I love the way it accelerates off the runway.  I've also been known to call it my personal time machine.

My first plane, a Warrior, earned the nickname "Jugs" because not long after I bought it we had to pull a cylinder off to repair the studs which had corroded and were causing an exhaust leak. Like any good call sign, the nickname should be earned through behavior or reputation!  My buddy has a 1963 Cessna 172 that flies very nicely but clearly looks like it's been around the block a time or two.  The call sign ends in "1U" so the plane is named "1 Ugly".