Flap Release Cable M20F

My flap release control appears to have broken at the cockpit end.  I haven't gotten a great look to see if it just got loose or if it actually broke, but it was clearly disconnected.  Assuming I need a new one, where can I get it?  Searching for the part turned up one salvage location, for an E (maybe they are the same length, but that's mildly surprising).  Also for a control cable I'm kinda inclined towards new since they wear out. However, I struggled to find one.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Jeez, you’re having a rough trip back from Osh!

Is the cylinder issue resolved?  Hope your airplane is fixed soon!

No shit.  You don't know the half of it.  This actually failed on the same flight that cylinder issue manifested.  It was working when we departed OSH. We didn't discover the flap issue until we were on base turn...with the engine issue, so I was already carrying some extra energy to make sure I could make the runway if the engine failed.  It resulted in a blown tire due to the excessive energy and over aggressive braking. So yeah...this has been a rough week.  I haven't even talked about the fact that the guy who put the cylinder on failed to tighten the intake plug on the new cylinder...and it vibrating out on my flight to return the old cylinder to the engine shop for core credit.  That was fantastic.

We flew home without the flaps.  So now we're home and picking up the pieces.  Our prop control is also suspect at this point.

Edited by druidjaidan

1 hour ago, GLJA said:

If it’s anything like the flap indicator wire, it’s .058” piano wire. You can get it from almost anywhere. 

Is it just fed into the sleeve and lubricated or is it more like the suggested lawnmower throttle (of bike cables that I'm familiar with) where they come as a single part?

Edited by druidjaidan

10 minutes ago, druidjaidan said:

No shit.  You don't know the half of it.  This actually failed on the same flight that cylinder issue manifested.  It was working when we departed OSH. We didn't discover the flap issue until we were on base turn...with the engine issue, so I was already carrying some extra energy to make sure I could make the runway if the engine failed.  It resulted in a blown tire due to the excessive energy and over aggressive braking. So yeah...this has been a rough week.  I haven't even talked about the fact that the guy who put the cylinder on failed to tighten the intake plug on the new cylinder...and it vibrating out on my flight to return the old cylinder to the engine shop for core credit.  That was fantastic.

We flew home without the flaps.  So now we're home and picking up the pieces.  Our prop control is also suspect at this point.

Just to add to my list of engine shops, or not, who did you get the cylinder from?  Is it overhauled or new?  Seems that our angle valve cylinders are tougher to come by and extra expensive.  Was the engine shop ok?

Engine shop was fantastic as far as I can tell.  Cylinder was one they had overhauled and had on hand.  It wasn't cheap, but was a bit off list price.  I was lucky they had it on hand. The shop was what used to be called Buldoc Aviation in Blain MN.  They are currently changing names to Horizon Aircraft Engine Services (previous owner retired and sold the shop to two of his long term original mechanics).  I spent a good while talking to Kevin at the shop and was thoroughly impressed.  He was also highly recommended by the local prop shop (Mawell Propeller)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, druidjaidan said:

Is it just fed into the sleeve and lubricated or is it more like the suggested lawnmower throttle (of bike cables that I'm familiar with) where they come as a single part?

If it’s like the flap indicator, the “indicator” end just had a piece of plastic fastened onto the end. The flap “mechanical” end, was fed through a hole in a bolt, and tightened to the flaps, next to the worm gear. 

Mine snapped there. After removing the plastic indicator, we were able to pull it out, and feed a new wire through the sleeve. Took probably 45 mins. 30 tonremove the screws, 5 to feed the wire and 10 to put back together.