Need a distraction while plane is in for annual -- ideas for flycation

So, trying to decide on which direction go for this years flycation.

ultimately, b4 I stop flying, I want to  land in all States and Europe.  well except for Hawaii, just can imagine how I could make that happen.

I live in texas and visit Indiana often, so pretty close to checking off everything between here and there.

already checked off:

Texas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee

, Missouri, Arkansas( gastons yumm ), Louisiana

, Indiana, New Mexico(Roswell), Arizona and Nevada(VEGAS)

Kentucky, and Illinois will happen eventually.

My vacation will be in sept/oct from 1 to 2 weeks but leaning towards 2 separate 1 week vacations and heading in different directions.

for that time of the year, not expecting significant weather issues but hey who knows.

I was leaning towards heading to Vegas for a day, then hitting California, Oregon, Washington, maybe touching Canada?

Completed most of my PPL in Calaveras and Livermore so CA isn't  much of a challenge but, must be thorough.

or

could do the south east,

Alabama, Florida, Ga, Carolinas, etc...

As my mooney has zero ice capability, i'd probably end up covering the southeast over the course of a few winters anyway.

Key west and the Bahamas are their own entries on the list, will def have to hit those.

having a terrible time trying to figure out how to get those inner western states: Idaho, Wyoming, Nd, SD, Utah.  Actually take that back, Rushmore and Yellowstone are must sees.

give me ideas on good places to stop and things to do.  

Edited by McMooney

18 minutes ago, McMooney said:

well except for Hawaii, just can imagine how I could make that happen.

Plan a trip to Hawaii, while there rent a plane and take a CFI along (they will require a checkout flight anyway, easier to just take the CFI and let him/her make all the radio calls) and enjoy a flightseeing trip. Check it off the list. ;)

• Like 2

Recommend St. Simons Island (KSSI) located off the coast of Southeastern Georgia. Golden Isle Aviation is a first rate, GA friendly FBO. Avis car rental located in the terminal and if you have a reservation, they will bring your car out on the ramp when you arrive.

Treat the Mrs. like a queen and stay at the King & Prince resort. Enjoy a romantic dinner overlooking the ocean at Echo, the resort’s restaurant, then step outside for a stroll along the beach or just sit in one of the rocking swing seats as darkness sets in.

While on the island visit Southern Soul Bar-b-q located at the corner of the airport for lunch. Tour the site of Fort Frederica then drive or fly over to nearby Jekyll Island to visit the historic Jekyll Island Club.

St. Simons is just the right place for a relaxing island getaway. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BKlott said:

Recommend St. Simons Island (KSSI) located off the coast of Southeastern Georgia. Golden Isle Aviation is a first rate, GA friendly FBO. Avis car rental located in the terminal and if you have a reservation, they will bring your car out on the ramp when you arrive.

Treat the Mrs. like a queen and stay at the King & Prince resort. Enjoy a romantic dinner overlooking the ocean at Echo, the resort’s restaurant, then step outside for a stroll along the beach or just sit in one of the rocking swing seats as darkness sets in.

While on the island visit Southern Soul Bar-b-q located at the corner of the airport for lunch. Tour the site of Fort Frederica then drive or fly over to nearby Jekyll Island to visit the historic Jekyll Island Club.

St. Simons is just the right place for a relaxing island getaway. 

I find Jekyll Island to be better but they are both great!

• Like 1

Hooks to Jack Edwards (KJKA) in Alabama for lunch at Lulu's, and then across CTY VOR down to Lakeland Linder (KLAL) makes a good day of flying. Do it when the next Mooney Safety Foundation PPP is in KLAL or for Sun-n-Fun in April. Then you can head up to Jekyll Island or St. Simons Island and maybe Charleston, SC (KCHS) before heading back home. Or reverse it for the PPP, ending up in Lakeland Thursday for the classes, and head home Sunday morning stopping at KJKA on the way. Maybe even check off Kentucky on the way over.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Feeling pretty bummed. You named almost 48 states and MI didn’t make the list ;)

Mi will be a repeat trip I need to do Mackinac island, Great Lakes tour Detroit Toronto.

almost forgot Sault Ste Marie, MI

Mi will probably get tired of me

Edited by McMooney
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Oldguy said:

Hooks to Jack Edwards (KJKA) in Alabama for lunch at Lulu's, and then across CTY VOR down to Lakeland Linder (KLAL) makes a good day of flying. Do it when the next Mooney Safety Foundation PPP is in KLAL or for Sun-n-Fun in April. Then you can head up to Jekyll Island or St. Simons Island and maybe Charleston, SC (KCHS) before heading back home. Or reverse it for the PPP, ending up in Lakeland Thursday for the classes, and head home Sunday morning stopping at KJKA on the way. Maybe even check off Kentucky on the way over.

I lived in Tampa for 12 years, never remade it to sun n fun.  Heck was in Lakeland atleast weekly.

might have to do this trip next spring.

8 hours ago, steingar said:

If you want to hit Ohio Out in Bay Island makes a really nice stop.  So does Port Clinton, nice little museum.  Of course the Air Force Museum is outside Dayton, but you can' land there.

def headed here, lots of stuff in Ohio, Cin, Cleveland, hall of fame, Sandusky.  

I want to do a lot of day trips with the grands in indy so  mi, wi, Illinois, ohio, ky and Tennessee are high on the list.

really want to see house on the rock in WI.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:23 PM, Skates97 said:

Plan a trip to Hawaii, while there rent a plane and take a CFI along (they will require a checkout flight anyway, easier to just take the CFI and let him/her make all the radio calls) and enjoy a flightseeing trip. Check it off the list. ;)

This is how I did Alaska. Wasn't in Cali or Vegas long enough to fly . . . .  :(

On 8/5/2019 at 9:20 AM, M20F said:

I find Jekyll Island to be better but they are both great!

The airport on Jekyll is great (09J) - no avgas, 3700', and instead of rental cars - they have street-legal red bug electric GEM carts - a short walk to the Jekyll Is Club Hotel in any event. Landing from the south puts the Hotel and Wharf (the rest. on the wharf is a great place to sit at sunset) off the right wing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Well you could always count your money while you still have it.  It will be gone after your annual. :o:D:lol:

IF you make it back to Louisiana and stop in New Orleans PM me we will go have a beer.

wow, how did you know?  Annual took ALL the money this year.  cry.  hopefully that's a free beer 8)