G5 new capabilities or Garmin is trying to spend all my money

I'm just sad it can't use an existing OAT feed from something like a JPI which already sends OAT to my 530W.

I suppose I could email folks and see if the JPI can take OAT from the 530W from the G5.

Obviously, since I have a Mooney, an additional OAT probe would cost me like 5 knots.

In experimental land I'd just make a converter board that provided the K-type signal to the JPI and whatever the G5 uses to the new G5 adapter.

• Like 1

I may be in the minority, but for me, since I already have OAT on my EDM730, the additional features of the G5 are mostly gimmicks.

While TAS might be nice to know for bragging rights, GS will determine how much time/fuel I'll need to get to my destination.  I already have that info.

Winds might be nice if ATC asks, but again, knowing the winds won't make a significant difference to me; especially if I have a GFC500 that is tracking the course.  Even hand flying I just adjust the crab to kill the drift.  I suspect there aren't a lot of people who will take the time to look at the winds and determine how much drift correction they'll need to track the course.  They'll just take a stab at it and then adjust as needed.  Although, as a rule of thumb, for every mile/minute of TAS, 1 degree of drift correction will approximately kill an equivalent number of knots of crosswind.  So at 2.5 miles/minute 10 degrees of drift will kill about 25 knots of crosswind.

While it would be nice to know, it's not worth something approaching $1000 (installed) to have.

Probably just me though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I think having wind direction and speed would be very cool.

Cool yes.  TAS Cool?  Yes.  Useful?  Meh.

I can get a pretty close guess on the wind using my GS, drift angle and a little trig.  I can get even closer using an E6B.

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I think having wind direction and speed would be very cool.

I'm pretty sure my Avidyne can do it if I can feed it OAT. I just have to get an OAT tag in one of its data streams. I wonder if I can enter it manually?

The IFD does compute it, I use it a lot.  It'll show you head- or tail-wind component, too, and shows TAS on the same page.  Something like Aux->utilities->calculators or something.  And I think you can enter OAT manually.    Mine is connected to my JPM, so it just knows.  ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The IFD does compute it, I use it a lot.  It'll show you head- or tail-wind component, too, and shows TAS on the same page.  Something like Aux->utilities->calculators or something.  And I think you can enter OAT manually.    Mine is connected to my JPM, so it just knows.  ;)

That’s exactly where it is.  I have a connection from my aspen that runs to the IFD that automatically inputs the oat and set heading bug and a few other things.. but you can enter a bunch of the data “manually” in the calculators.

• Like 1

This install is about an hour or two worth of work if you’re smart about it.  It’s 3-4 if you’re not.   The adapter is $130, connector $37 and a compatible oat probe is $85.  If you use the Garmin brand OAT or the $500 package you have to fashion a doubler (that’s where there’s more labor cost).  

My current OAT is less than accurate. 

Having an accurate OAT would be a good thing. 

I already have a G5 - cheaper than a davtron setup and I get information in a useful way. 

I'm still holding out for the G5 to drive the attitude on my autopilot.  I'm convinced its coming.  Garmin cannot allow the insult of BK having something they don't to continue.

I'm interested in having the winds information but what I really need to be able to give them more of my money is the ability to replace my AI.

• Like 1

I already have a G5 as an HSI and I love it.  Anyone know if having the dual installation with the upgrade allows for the removal of the ASI, and Atimiter.  Prob not TC (no turn rate displayed anywhere on them) and prob not VSI (don't see a rate of vertical speed on the PFD alt tape). 

Anyone have any ideas?

3 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

I already have a G5 as an HSI and I love it.  Anyone know if having the dual installation with the upgrade allows for the removal of the ASI, and Atimiter.  Prob not TC (no turn rate displayed anywhere on them) and prob not VSI (don't see a rate of vertical speed on the PFD alt tape). 

Anyone have any ideas?

Turn rate indicator is under the ball on the AI display.  Vertical speed is extreme right, it is pretty subtle.  Both only show when turning or changing altitude.

7 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Anyone have any ideas?

From the G5 STC:

The original type design approved instruments for airspeed, altitude and vertical speed remain the primary indications for these parameters. If the G5 Electronic Flight Instrument is installed in place of the rate of turn indicator, the original type design approved instrument for attitude remains in the primary indication for attitude. If the G5 Electronic Flight Instrument is installed in place of the directional gyro, the original type design approved instruments for attitude remains the primary indication for attitude. 

45 minutes ago, kpaul said:

From the G5 STC:

The original type design approved instruments for airspeed, altitude and vertical speed remain the primary indications for these parameters. If the G5 Electronic Flight Instrument is installed in place of the rate of turn indicator, the original type design approved instrument for attitude remains in the primary indication for attitude. If the G5 Electronic Flight Instrument is installed in place of the directional gyro, the original type design approved instruments for attitude remains the primary indication for attitude. 

Oh well.....   Was just a thought

On 8/4/2019 at 8:44 PM, EricJ said:

Relevant pic.   You might have to zoom in to see everything on the IFD.   I took this because of the 27kt tailwind, which was nice.

20190421_094820.jpg

This is a nice panel

It would bother me how the JPI covers half an instrument hole. It would be easy to cut a rectangular piece of aluminum    

• Like 1

If you are needing to upgrade to a new VOR head/indicator, the price difference between a new Garmin Indicator and a G5 is about $300. Granted, the G5 installation cost is higher than the install on the Indicator but you get the added benefits of an electronic HSI as a result. There is another point to consider that may be driving G5 sales.