Don’t Cross Red!

M016576

On 8/6/2019 at 9:33 PM, MikeOH said:

Damn!

You're taking this well; I'd be pretty PO'ed at the ground controller.  It's almost like he set you up!  I mean, you made an honest mistake missing a turn, then he told you what to do, knowing full well where you were, you did what he said....then he rats you out.

If he'd kept his mouth shut that would have been the end of it!

And, it sounds like you didn't even cross the dreaded RED LINE!

SHEESH!

my guess is ground was trying to get him away when the guards called the tower to have him shut down. my second guess is Bob wasnt the only one that got questioned that day, ground probably got the worse of it 

On 8/7/2019 at 9:50 AM, SpamPilot said:

So I'm looking at KLMT on Google Earth and I can't figure out what happened here.  I gather the pilot, who shall remain unnamed by me, must have taxied south on D, perhaps with the intention of turning left on E.  But there's no line across the taxiway to indicate a restricted area if you miss the turn onto E.  There *is* a thin red line along the west side of D demarcating the National Guard ramp area, like the thin red line I'm sure many of us have taxied past that signifies the security boundary around the terminal of an airport with commercial passenger service.  But there'd be no way to taxi from the GA ramp for takeoff on 7 without driving down D past all those beautiful fighters.  Is the issue that the pilot might have crossed a wing over the red line while making a 180 on D as directed by the controller to get back to E?

I agree it's not marked well, but the one time I used rwy 7 they had me taxi from the ramp via D -> E -> G -> F -> rwy 7.  You just stay on G if going all the way out to rwy 32.  Only ones I ever saw using D in front of the Air Guard ramp was the military.  Everybody else went via taxiway G.  May have been a new controller as well.  i was always told to make sure I turn at E.  That was a couple of years ago though.  You can barely see it in the photo I posted on page 1 (I was on taxiway E going towards the ramp), but there were portable barriers placed across D to keep you from going that way.  When the fighters are doing their thing, a crew truck comes out and moves them.   Sounds like that policy may have changed or they were getting ready to start operations.

Cheers,

Brian

4 hours ago, flight2000 said:

I agree it's not marked well, but the one time I used rwy 7 they had me taxi from the ramp via D -> E -> G -> F -> rwy 7.  You just stay on G if going all the way out to rwy 32.  Only ones I ever saw using D in front of the Air Guard ramp was the military.  Everybody else went via taxiway G.  May have been a new controller as well.  i was always told to make sure I turn at E.  That was a couple of years ago though.  You can barely see it in the photo I posted on page 1 (I was on taxiway E going towards the ramp), but there were portable barriers placed across D to keep you from going that way.  When the fighters are doing their thing, a crew truck comes out and moves them.   Sounds like that policy may have changed or they were getting ready to start operations.

Cheers,

Brian

You are correct- “D” is part of the guard ramp now- and barriers are in place unless the F-15’s are conducting flight ops.  That happened about 3 years ago (D being absorbed into the guard ramp) as part of some new security regulations.

the ground controller and the tower controllers, are actually a mix of civilians and guard personnel.  So the tower is pretty much connected to the guard base whenever it’s open.  The air traffic in and out of K-falls is relatively light, unless it’s during the ANG fly windows.. so there are several hours during the night where the tower closes, and the field goes uncontrolled.  Some weekends, too... but not all weekends- the 114FS flys every weekday, as well as one weekend a month.