Just bought a 1966 M20E - tips

Hey, I'm based at BJC with my Mooney. I'd be happy to fly with you or take you up for a spin in my Mooney. I'm not a CFI, but have 1000 Mooney hours over the last four years or so. About half that time was in a short body with the Johnson bar gear.

Send me a PM with your contact info and we'll get together. I'll probably be out flying on Friday and possibly again on Sunday.

Why would you need a vacuum AI? The aspen is certified to stand alone.  

Don’t waste your money, unless you want to install a second set of landing gear too, because you never know...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nark said:

Don’t waste your money, unless you want to install a second set of landing gear too, because you never know...

A back up AI is a required part of the Aspen STC. 

Clarence

23 hours ago, Nark said:

Just think of all the gear up landings that could be avoided with a second (fixed) set of landing gear.

The only aspen system that does not require a vac driven (or battery backup electric) AI is the new E5. The Max still needs one or a max mfd1000 w/ external battery. 

So made it back!  Flew great.. Extremely control sensitive.  Flew the numbers on our third landing.. Ain't nothing but a thing.... Love it.  First two... Yeah we were hot on final and not enough room to slow her down.... First take off trying to put the gear up at 100... Lol. Wasn't happening as I'm sure you all know...  The magic 80!!!!  The "experienced" Mooney pilot they had to do a discovery flight with us after closing... Was 6'4 .. 200 and has forgotten more than I've ever known.... Think it's been a while since his experience was revisited... So our flight home was based on general HP experience and reading knowledge provided by y'all.... Can't wait to get to true flying characteristics being that was just 10 hrs cross country.

• Like 2

The sales images didn't show an AI in the panel because the aspen was installed.  I was going to install a Vac one JIC...  When I showed up to close one had already been installed.  So Plus for me.  By the way... the aspen back up bat is alike 20 -30 min max... it got tested on the first flight out of home base...unfortunately.  So very glad to have the vac if.. should say when.. things go sideways.  Because ... well ... they are 50 yr old airplanes.  

1 hour ago, moonlighting7 said:

So made it back!  Flew great.. Extremely control sensitive.  Flew the numbers on our third landing.. Ain't nothing but a thing.... Love it.  First two... Yeah we were hot on final and not enough room to slow her down.... First take off trying to put the gear up at 100... Lol. Wasn't happening as I'm sure you all know...  The magic 80!!!!  The "experienced" Mooney pilot they had to do a discovery flight with us after closing... Was 6'4 .. 200 and has forgotten more than I've ever known.... Think it's been a while since his experience was revisited... So our flight home was based on general HP experience and reading knowledge provided by y'all.... Can't wait to get to true flying characteristics being that was just 10 hrs cross country.

Congrats on getting her home. As I said before, Mooney dip will work even at 100 mph, just dip the nose down quickly and put the bar down. Also, think very far ahead when descending into pattern - throttle back far out as they don't lose speed easy. Still get someone that knows the plane local and get a few hours with them, and ENJOY!

• Like 1

BTW, look for the OSH handout from Don Kaye's website.  Good reference while your building your habit pattern in your E.  Also, read the website history intensively. Lot's of good discussion/debate on landing speeds, flap usage, throttle/mixture management while climbing, cruise & descent, cowl flaps, etc.    Congrats on the new ride!  

1 hour ago, DustinNwind said:

Congrats on getting her home. As I said before, Mooney dip will work even at 100 mph, just dip the nose down quickly and put the bar down. Also, think very far ahead when descending into pattern - throttle back far out as they don't lose speed easy. Still get someone that knows the plane local and get a few hours with them, and ENJOY!

If the Mooney dip is done correctly, the gear will almost stow itself.

• Like 1