Just bought a 1966 M20E - tips

So I am a Private VFR who has started instrument training and currently at 310 hrs.  Flown 100 plus hrs in pipers, 12 in arrows, and 174 hrs in a sundowner including CO to Bar harbor MAINE (no AP) and back.  Just Bought a 1966 M20E with LR tanks, updated PFD panel and Garmin 400 (non-waas) but coupled to a STEC 60, and a Mcauley Tri!  Going to pick her up in middle america next week and bring her home to CO!!  Taking my CFII but he has not flown a mooney before but is hedging in with 800+ hrs.  Due to the wealth of knowledge among ya'll I am looking for handling tips!

Thanks IN advance!

N2710W 2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, moonlighting7 said:

Taking my CFII but he has not flown a mooney before but is hedging in with 800+ hrs.  

Get a Mooney specific CFI for your transition training. It will be the best money you spend. A Mooney is not a Cessna, or a Beech or a Piper.

• Like 4

Welcome, @moonlighting7! While your CFII will doubtless be capable of flying your new E, please spend a few hours in Middle America with a CFI/CFII who knows how to do things the Mooney way. Then fly off with your guy and have lots of fun.

Please post pictures at pickup and when you get home. And any questions you may have at any time.

Also, update your avatar with your location (or at least "Colorado" so we will know the next time you post!) and model. There are probably other members near you for hangar flying.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Super 21 Elite club :)  You should double-check with your insurance to make sure your CFI is approved to give you instruction. I would also suggest you get that instruction from an experienced Mooney instructor, that will pay for itself along the next few years. Enjoy!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, moonlighting7 said:

So I am a Private VFR who has started instrument training and currently at 310 hrs.  Flown 100 plus hrs in pipers, 12 in arrows, and 174 hrs in a sundowner including CO to Bar harbor MAINE (no AP) and back.  Just Bought a 1966 M20E with LR tanks, updated PFD panel and Garmin 400 (non-waas) but coupled to a STEC 60, and a Mcauley Tri!  Going to pick her up in middle america next week and bring her home to CO!!  Taking my CFII but he has not flown a mooney before but is hedging in with 800+ hrs.  Due to the wealth of knowledge among ya'll I am looking for handling tips!

Thanks IN advance!

N2710W 2.JPG

Man, that’s a lot of mods on that plane... very nice 

Nice pic! That looks like somebody’s forever-plane!

+2 for Mooney specific transition training...

All the magic of the cockpit is important for the Xcountry aspect of flying... the comfy seats will be the best for long hours aloft...

Spend a few hours in the local area reviewing all the usual procedures... The Mooney will be different enough from other planes...

It is better to see these first hand with a CFI that can explained what you will see and why you will see it and how to be prepared for it... before it happens...

Mooneys aren’t evil... just what makes them fast and efficient comes with some other quirks... :)

There is an online Mooney pilot magazine that has many Mooney specific CFIIs listed... or you may want to fly one one in to your location...

Your insurance typically dictates how many hours of dual and solo flight will be required...make them really worthwhile hours...

My transition training started locally, with the usual... airport related things, performance things, stalls and GAs, Emergency things, then went on to X-country things... that included IFR delivery flight across the country...

Best regards,

-a-

I’m based at KHFY just a bit south of where you’ll pick her up.  Depending on the day, I could take you up in ours or fly in yours and show you a few things.  I’m not a CFI, but I am nearly done with my commercial and MEI (moving into a B55).    Maybe 4pm on Tuesday?

The biggest difference I have experienced with Mooneys is the sight picture.  It is much lower than most other aircraft.  This isn’t too big of a deal until you try to land and flare.  That what took me the longest to get use to.

9 hours ago, moonlighting7 said:

0.thumb.jpg.80850c31dd1c59daab2744765072a991.jpg

Looks like a nice plane, however I would not fly this until the seatbelts are upgraded to ones with shoulder harnesses.  Kind of surprising that with all the money invested the previous owner ignored  that aspect.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Avoid the one listed in cinci in Lunkin.  He's close enough to Indy you may consider him.  I'd like him off the list but havnt put any effort into it.  He's a real cowboy and doesn't take flying seriously enough. 

You got a local who offered but Indy is only 40 mins in my E.  I'd be glad to share all the I learned doing my Mooney transition training.  Almost for sure your insurance will want you to have transition training yourself. 

@moonlighting7

Congrats! You snagged a great aircraft. Pat and Mark run a first class outfit and are straight shooters. 

When you go pick up the plane you’ll need to use the shorter runway ~3400 feet. This will be plenty but I find myself paying attention to airspeed when I use 3k and shorter slabs. 

I agree with @kpaul that shoulder harnesses for the front passengers should be top on your list of upgrades.  I would use the alpha aviation kit and you will want a very careful A&P install to avoid butchering the beautiful aero comfort leather covering/stitching. 

It would be a good idea to have a pre purchase inspection done before you send full payment. Mooney aircraft have certain things that need to be inspected (corrosion etc). I would also install an vac driven AI before flying in instrument weather.   

What a beautiful plane, enjoy!

THAT is a beautiful E Model (Outside AND IN). Essentially a short body J.  Good for you. PM me with the purchase price.  I am selling a ‘66 and THAT will be a good data point for me on how I have mine priced.  Enjoy and feel free to PM me with any operating questions.  Enjoy your beautiful new to you Super 21!

There are airbag seat belts that have recently become available for Mooneys...

+1 for pre-purchase inspections... corrosion doesn’t know if it is ruining an expensive plane or a cheep one... :)  

PP thoughts only, no prior knowledge of the plane being discussed...

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/3/2019 at 9:25 AM, MIm20c said:

@moonlighting7

It would be a good idea to have a pre purchase inspection done before you send full payment. Mooney aircraft have certain things that need to be inspected (corrosion etc). I would also install an vac driven AI before flying in instrument weather.

Purty Bird!  Easy on the eyes and nice panel too.

I let my '67 M20F (same engine) sit too long and the cam (which is up in the air above the oil) got pitted.  That requires a tear down.  Mech says upwards of 10-15k to IRAN and you don't get to claim 0 SMOH when it's done, unless you put the rest of the new part$ in.  Your pre-buy mech can pull one jug which is the only way to see 1/2 of the cam.  Two jugs and you can see it all.

Operation - 1. Obey the book on landing - too hot and the nose and mains will teeter-totter until the prop strikes.  2. I love the J-bar.  Over the fence I like to reach for the yoke with my left hand and the J-bar with my right.  If the right hand comes back empty, use it to shove in the throttle, go up, and figure out what's going on.

CFI - FYI my insurance says "Make and Model" for the CFI.

Doug

Edited by DJ67

Congrats on really nice E!

Yours is like my old plane, manual gear is the best!

At first be super compulsive about keeping stuff on the floor away from where the Johnson bar sits with the gear retracted. Even a thin chart on the floor will keep you from getting the JBar locked on the floor in the receptacle.

If you don’t already have one, make up a tool like a wood bar with a notch in it to help manipulate the fuel tank selector on the floor between your feet. And practice with it so you could quickly switch tanks in an emergency.

Get your IR as soon as you can, that plane will cover ground quick enough that you will inevitable get into weather.

Also, like others said be super careful about prop clearance while taxiing on uneven pavement, and if you have a imperfect landing remember whatever you do to keep the nose up and avoid porpoising!

The long low wing and short gear will allow you to make great crosswind landings, have a Mooney-specific instructor show you how.

good luck!

Tim

• Like 2

Welcome to the club! We've also got a '66 E, which we bought early this year. It's a beautiful flying machine and we are really enjoying the travel in it. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, because it looks like we have very similar mods. The big difference is that ours has electric gear and you've got the Johnson bar. I actually would have preferred the Johnson bar, but have no issues with the electric. 

The presence of the Johnson bar manually-actuated great makes it all the more important to get some training from someone with experience with that system.  You'll read a lot about everybody's method for verifying the gear is down and actually locked in place. But that's no substitute for experiencing it firsthand.

We're happy for you!

Ross

Congrats, that's a beautiful bird!

Couple of tips not mentioned:

1. The Mooney Dip, and I was told it is called. When retracting the landing gear dip the nose down quickly while pushing the bar down - gravity/ less drag will help the push the gear up. 

2. Most likely things will happen much quicker than previously in other planes. Think far ahead on decent they don't like to lose altitude. Lower the gear helps love altitude while slowing down too. Helps a lot.

Probably many more, but your transition instructor will tell you everything. 

Congrats again!

Dustin