Switching to Phillips Victory 20w50?

toto

I was a user of Exxon Elite for many years, now using Aeroshell 15w50. Never liked Phillips XC because I didn't want to fiddle with an additive to get anticorrosion. But a petroleum multiweight with the Lycoming additive built-in is very intriguing.

Not trying to beat the long-dead oil vs oil horse, but I'm definitely interested in arguments for switching to the multiweight Victory oil. (I'm assuming that this oil will have XC-level availability, which means basically every FBO on the planet - a great argument by itself.)

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/phillips-introduces-new-multi-weight-oil/

3 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

I saw that Phillips came out with this  new oil. My only question is what is better, the Lycoming additive or Camguard? It’s certainly no big deal to add Camguard which many of us have done for years.

If you could buy oil that comes with the Camguard additive, I'd be far more interested than I am in buying a separate bottle and mixing it myself. But I understand that a lot of people like it. 

For me, being able to buy a spare quart at an FBO on the road is a concern, and I don't want to stress about adding Camguard. Even if it's objectively better than oil with the Lycoming additive premixed. 

45 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Honest question - not a rhetorical debate question - 

What does this Phillips Victory do that say XC 20W50 + camguard does not?

I had a long conversation at Oshkosh with the guy at Phillips who developed Victory and what he said it all came down to is that Victory has the Lycoming anti scuff and is certified. Camgaurd is not certified but in addition to anti scuff also has added corrosion resistance. Victory does not. The only corrosion resistance Victory provides is the same as any oil. He did a good job of convincing me to stick with classic 20W-50 with camgaurd.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Why not both Victory (with anti-scuff) and Camguard (adding corrosion protection)?   As a long time XC user that is the direction I am leaning once my current supply of XC is exhausted.  But I’ll admit that I think I am genetically predisposed to liking oil additives.    

Jim

Camgaurd already has antiscuff. Dunno if there can be too much of a good thing, maybe someone can chime in on that.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Why not both Victory (with anti-scuff) and Camguard (adding corrosion protection)?   As a long time XC user that is the direction I am leaning once my current supply of XC is exhausted.  But I’ll admit that I think I am genetically predisposed to liking oil additives.    

Jim

This is what I do, although I use Camguard in the summer due to humidity and Avblend in the winter to help prevent valve sticking.

I like the Lycoming additive because it was specifically approved as a lifter anti-scuffing agent by Lycoming themselves.  As many problems as they have had with camshaft/lifter spalling, I figured why not?  I just don't like spending an extra $20 per oil change, so the Victory 20W50 is WAY less expensive.

Am I superstitious about this stuff?  Probably.  Byron will probably chime in with all kinds of facts about TPP, snake oils, and smoke-and-mirror claims.  To cut all that off at the pass, I'll just admit right here and right now that I'm being silly and ridiculous and ignoring factual evidence and wasting my money and whatever other arguments anyone wants to throw my direction.

It makes me feel better, doesn't cost much money for the decisions I've made about my oil, and who knows- it might just help a little bit.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, toto said:

I was a user of Exxon Elite for many years, now using Aeroshell 15w50. Never liked Phillips XC because I didn't want to fiddle with an additive to get anticorrosion. But a petroleum multiweight with the Lycoming additive built-in is very intriguing.

Not trying to beat the long-dead oil vs oil horse, but I'm definitely interested in arguments for switching to the multiweight Victory oil. (I'm assuming that this oil will have XC-level availability, which means basically every FBO on the planet - a great argument by itself.)

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/phillips-introduces-new-multi-weight-oil/

The article states available now.

Where?

My Google 'skillz' need help! :ph34r:

• 9 months later...

Reviving this thread as it looked like the newest on the subject.  About to change from straight mineral for top end break in and trying to decide.  Lots of threads here and on Beechtalk, but nothing quantifiable.  Here are my considerations:

-Regular Phillips 20w50 with cam guard

-Phillips 20w50 Victory (with the Lycoming adaptive pre mixed)

-Phillips 20w50 Victory (with the Lycoming adaptive pre mixed) WITH cam guard 

I am leaning toward Being conservative and using  the old regular Phillips with cam guard because it seems cam guard has the equivalent anti scuff but provides corrosion inhibitors as well.  Apparently Victory does not have this benefit.  Regarding Victory and cam guard,  I think Mike asked the question in this thread, is there too much of a good thing?  Would hate to be the person to find out.

Has anybody come across anything new on the topic from the experts on oil?  Doubtful anybody has gone to TBO yet on the Victory oil....or have they?

2 hours ago, takair said:

Reviving this thread as it looked like the newest on the subject.  About to change from straight mineral for top end break in and trying to decide.  Lots of threads here and on Beechtalk, but nothing quantifiable.  Here are my considerations:

-Regular Phillips 20w50 with cam guard

-Phillips 20w50 Victory (with the Lycoming adaptive pre mixed)

-Phillips 20w50 Victory (with the Lycoming adaptive pre mixed) WITH cam guard 

I am leaning toward Being conservative and using  the old regular Phillips with cam guard because it seems cam guard has the equivalent anti scuff but provides corrosion inhibitors as well.  Apparently Victory does not have this benefit.  Regarding Victory and cam guard,  I think Mike asked the question in this thread, is there too much of a good thing?  Would hate to be the person to find out.

Has anybody come across anything new on the topic from the experts on oil?  Doubtful anybody has gone to TBO yet on the Victory oil....or have they?

CamGuard has extra proprietary "stuff" in addition to the antiscuff, but IIRC in one of his recent webinar's Mike Busch mentioned it still didn't make sense to add CamGuard if you have antiscuff additive already in your oil since the recommendation is to fly as frequently as possible regardless of whether you use CamGuard or not.

I previously had been using Lycoming W100 Plus, which has the Lycoming additive.  I just did an oil change with Phillips Victory 100AW.  It is not 20w50, that is the older Phillips X/C which does not have the Lycoming additive.

With the Phillips Victory in the motor, so far, so boring.  It still looks like oil :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

CamGuard has extra proprietary "stuff" in addition to the antiscuff, but IIRC in one of his recent webinar's Mike Busch mentioned it still didn't make sense to add CamGuard if you have antiscuff additive already in your oil since the recommendation is to fly as frequently as possible regardless of whether you use CamGuard or not.

I previously had been using Lycoming W100 Plus, which has the Lycoming additive.  I just did an oil change with Phillips Victory 100AW.  It is not 20w50, that is the older Phillips X/C which does not have the Lycoming additive.

With the Phillips Victory in the motor, so far, so boring.  It still looks like oil :)

Thanks.  Good input.  It looks to me that they have both 100AW and 20w50 available in Victory, were you not able to find the 20w50 version?

4 hours ago, takair said:

Thanks.  Good input.  It looks to me that they have both 100AW and 20w50 available in Victory, were you not able to find the 20w50 version?

I hadn't seen a 20w50 version anywhere?   Oh, holy smokes, there it is on Aircraft Spruce!  Huh, I could have sworn when I looked a few months ago, there was only the 100AW.  Sorry about that! 

FWIW, I got it on Amazon, with the free shipping for Prime, it ended up a little cheaper

• Like 1

Is the Lycoming additive in the Victory safe for Continental engines?  I seem to recall it could hurt the starter clutch adapter.

Edited by tmo

2 hours ago, airtim said:

I switched from Aeroshell to Victory as soon as it was available. I found it went from 8-9 hours per quart to 12-13.

Do you use cam guard?  Probably not a huge advantage with the amount of flying you do.

22 minutes ago, takair said:

Do you use cam guard?  Probably not a huge advantage with the amount of flying you do.

I don't.  My A&P told me it would be a waste for me because of how often (30-40hrs a month) I fly. That said he thinks the stuff is awesome for planes that sometimes sit for weeks at a time said he has never seen a Lycoming eat a cam that has used it. 

He thinks the Lycoming additive is important. Sounds obvious but he said some people don't use it. 

2 hours ago, airtim said:

I switched from Aeroshell to Victory as soon as it was available. I found it went from 8-9 hours per quart to 12-13.

You went from the Aeroshell multi-weight to the Victory multi-weight?

7 hours ago, tmo said:

Is the Lycoming additive in the Victory safe for Continental engines?  I seem to recall it could hurt the starter clutch adapter.

I personally wouldn't based on my anecdotal experience.

This may have been just a coincidence, but the first time I added Camguard to the oil in my Ovation that I had, was the first time I had slippage in my starter adaptor. I'm sure it was already on its way out, but that extra slippage probably didn't do it any good.

That being said I do plan on using it on my Bravo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1